Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Cold air Intake, How much power?

16959 Views 35 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  sinder
G
Is it worth me ripping out the stock airbox and installing a Cold Air Intake (conical filter and new pipe?) How much is this gonna cost me, how much is gonna give me( power wise) and how much noise is it gonna make?
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
1,453 Posts
mike4 said:
Thanks guys.

Derek.. is that a custom cf pipe? I'm looking for a CAI for a 2000 RAV4. - and none of the 'online shops" seem to have them.. Just putting a filter on there won't work since there's a sensor..
Yes it is. Check out the install (with pics) here:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/683136/2

I've been running this setup for quite some time now with great results! :D

· Registered
985 Posts
Platic and metal both have pros and cons, however I don't know too much about the thermal properties of carbon fiber.

Plastic does not conduct heat as fast as metal, however once it does get hot, it "holds" the heat longer and takes more time to cool.

Metal conducts heat faster, however it doesn't "hold" the heat as much as plastic and also cools down faster.

I think the best soultion is to make it out of metal, but cover it with some sort of heat resistant coating.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Carbon Fibre has, by far, the best thermal qualities to resist heat. having said that, I'm not sure it matters all that much which way you choose to go because with a CAI the speed at which the air flows through the piping is so fast that it will not get a chance to be warmed up by the piping.

Real problems occur when your filter is within the engine bay with no heat protection. Even if you duct air in from the outside some way you will need the filter, and air coming to the filter, protected in some way from the engine bay temperatures. This is why you will see various heat shielding methods. Again Carbon Fibre will win hands down for best thermal protection.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
i have looked near and far and have yet to find any 3" carbon fiber tubing for a Cold-air intake system I am planning to make when the waether gets better here. Does anyone know where I could get some 3"(76.2mm) carbon fiber tubing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Cold air intake

Hi,

I installed a CAI today (not on a rav4) and it sounds mean. Therefor, if you want a metallic-mean-sounding car, get a metal piping. The problem is that my Rav4 gets used for off-roading as well.. (sand), so I think the might be subject to a lot of dirt.

Anyone has any suggestion for this, I was thinking about a hood scoop and a SRI - since the air in the engine compartment will be denser due to the scoop, no?

Thanks,
Mike

· Registered
539 Posts
ok, so cai's give more power coz the intake charge is colder/denser and sport intakes offer less resistance to the incomming air...

but, does any one know why the stock intake system is restricting the airflow and where the restriction points are?

· Registered
539 Posts
toyota probably would never use metal parts for the intake for cost reasons. maybe also to keep it quiet to pass noise polution regulations in some countries. i also like to have a quiet car so i can hear what the engine is doing!

i'm only wondering if it's possible to optimize the stock system & use a k & n drop-in filter to improve flow. the only other restrictive part is the curvy plastic tube going from the side of the headlight, under the radiator overflow bottle and into the filter housing. i wonder how much the stock system could be improved without changing out too many parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
True, plastic parts are cheaper, and easier for mass production i think.

peterpogi2005 said:
i wonder how much the stock system could be improved without changing out too many parts.
I checked out the stock "intake" system this morning.. the air is sucked in next to the (LHD) drivers side head light, which is blocked by a piece of metal (the hood).

I think if one would cut off the lower part of the air filter, then you'd suck in air that circulates under the car.. which is - after the radiator - pretty cold.

I'm wondering either to get a CAI from rav4oz, or going custom - but then I don't know where to end the filter up.. Having the stock air filter out will give you a lot of room.. hell, the engine will even echo up in there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Cold Air

I bought a Ram yesterday for a 96-00 rav4. It has 2 vacuum lines inlets, but I only see one vacuum line.. Any help?

· Registered
1,453 Posts
One vacuum line attaches to the valve cover as can clearly be seen in Stelly's photos. The other one attaches to the (charcoal cannister?) that is located under the main fuse box. When you remove your factory air box you'll know what I am referring to. There should also be another hole for the air sensor to plug into. Hope this helps. :D

By the way, Stelly, I love your cupholder; very unique. :lol: If I am not mistaken, your "cupholder" is an bracket that is used to attach the factory square mass air flow sensor (not on our RAVs) to the intake tube. This intake probably is a universal application that fits other applications as well as the RAV. :roll:

· Registered
45 Posts
I'm really interested in installing a CAI in my RAV4 but the big problem up here in Alaska is going to be deep snow you occasionally have to drive through, even in the city. Is there any other place on a RAV4 to mount an intake aside from the bottom? Possibly by cutting a slot in the side of the hood (the actual piece that lifts) and putting louvres on it to keep rain out?

I don't think the snow would be as bad for breathing, necessarily, but it wouldn't just pour back out like the water. An idea I had today was to mount a sheet metal scoop to the bottom of the plastic skid guard where you normally mount the air intake. It would cover the air intake and be angled upward so it's open just under the plastic bumper and open at the back. Think of the sheet metal scoops they use for dishing out fries at fast food places:

The actual intake would be just ahead of the narrowed portion and the front would be grilled off as well. The idea is to prevent snow and other debris from being pressed directly up into the opening as the vehicle moves forward. and instead simply slide through the grate and out the other open end. This actually makes me wonder: Why aren't those ski plates metal to begin with? They seem like really thin plastic. :?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.