Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using Celica GTS CAI bought off ebay.
I really have to say that the build quality of the intake is really bad, the scews/bolts that came with the intake to screw the sensor on broke the first day I tried to install it.

- Car dies with full intake setup.
- Everything is setup and I made sure the sensor is in, I even sanded down the place where the sensor goes so it can even reach further down into the piping.

- Once I take out the fliter and just cover the opening with my hand, the car starts!! ??

So is the engine choking because of too much air ? I really have no idea whats wrong with it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't have an answer for you but I can conclude since I own the ebay cai too that it is of very bad quality. there are a few venders out there on ebay supplying slightly different grade products, but the one I purchased could be cut with a saw like butter. The gauge of steel was definitely minimal and I was a bit disappointed. The small gauge metal also produces a poor quality hollow sound.

I haven't had problems with my cai....yet. i hear the filter that comes with it is not all that great and the piping size isn't standard. it may be difficult to find a replacement filter.

UPDATE/CORRECTION: K&N has universal filters that work with the ebay cai piping. I purchased the RC-2600 and so far it works great. Good fit and everything's fine so far.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Could be. Doesn't seem like you damaged the sensor since you say when you cover the pipe with just your hand , it starts? First, I'd check to make sure that the connection between the pipe and filter is airtight so no extra air is coming in from a gap somewhere. Might try changing whatever it is they're using to clamp the two pieces together just for testing purposes. Porbably could find some cheap rubber hosing or something at the local hardware dept. If its not that, maybe change the filter to something like K&N. What kinda of material is that filter composed of? Paper, gauze, foam?[/code]

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's a very bizarre problem. I know that the Rav's have a MAF, but what other sensors are in place on the intake tubing? a AIT?

Anyways, I do not see why the car wouldn't start with the intake as most vehicles do not need the MAF there to start and or idle. My 95 truck has a MAF and I could disconnect the intake from the throttle body and it would still start. The MAF is only there to measure the amount of air flow during driving conditions.

It may be worth talking to a reputable toyota mechanic that is familiar with the sensors involved and what readings the computer needs to get stuff to run. I'd be curious to find out what the problem was.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The MAF in the Rav is a combination air flow meter and intake temperature sensor in one unit.

There are two general issues that may cause your problem. You may have damaged the MAF, because it is very sensitive and breaks easily. Usually when the MAF is not working correctly it will trigger a check engine light, but not always. Also, the MAF is calibrated from the factory to work with the stock intake setup. The new intake may be too radically different for the MAF to adjust.

Speaking from experience, if your MAF sensor is disconnected or damaged, the Rav will start, but it will probably idle rough, stutter, and eventually stall. The MAF helps the ECM control throttle position and therefore affects the idle. If the MAF is not working properly, the ECM has a hard time trying to regulate the idle, and if you rev the engine and then let off the gas it will stall, because the ECM can't properly return the engine to idle speed.

All I can say is check the connections, and if that doesn't help, go back to the factory intake and see if it works like normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts