Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience modifying a Cold Air Intake designed for a Toyota Celica, to fit their RAV4?

I've heard that it is possible to modify a Celica CAI kit, so that it can fit a RAV4....

Additionally, if I do add a Cold Air Intake what type of performance gains should I expect??? Or more specifically, what are the pros and cons of such a modification?

My dealer has already hinted to me that if do mod out the engine like this, my warranty will automatically be voided.

Basically, I want to start pushing the performance envelope of RAV4 as honestly feel that there's allot power to be gain from the 2.0 liter engine.

·
Registered
682 Posts
an proper custom exhaust will give u more power than a cai. a cai will help your engine run more efficiently whilst giving only slight power increase.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The Celica has a dyno tested gain of 1-4hp with various exhausts.
GTS can get around 10 more peak hp out of an intake when lift engages but tends to lose power down low. GT gets a negligible 1-4hp out of a CAI too. Has some other effects like smoothing out the power delivery. But that's an awful lot of money for just a few horsies.

If you do decide to go this route, get a baseline and modded dyno. Without some dynos to actually verify what the mods are doing, you're just shooting in the dark.

From an Edmund's editor that puts it perfectly:
On the street, it's almost impossible to accurately assess whether a modification has aided performance. People often judge handling by how the car rides and acceleration by noise: If it's rough and loud, it's got to handle better and be quicker, they think. This is the "Bactine Theory": If the medicine hurts, it must be working. The Placebo Effect also comes into play: If you've just spent a couple of grand to improve something, you will believe it's working.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I wish we could all do that, but the problem with dyno testing is that it'll cost you just a bit as much as adding some performance mod to your Rav after awhile. I mean, if all you get is a CAI and an exhaust, it's not even worth dyno testing unless you got mucho bucks lying around just so you can dyno test every add on compared to your baseline. Now, if say you were adding on a TC or SC, then it'd be worth your time. Course, I ,myself, would like to see what numbers come up after each performance mod just so we can stop the guesswork and actually have some hard numbers but then I'm not rich either. Wish some of these aftermarket manufacturers actually tested and put out hard numbers on eah specific vehicle application and not just general numbers that most likely apply to high performance engines and not our little 4 banger.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
2 dyno pulls should be no more than $50. That's all you need.

Dyno tuning, on the other hand is the expensive thing. Can be around $150/hr.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, but see, who wants to waste $50 nowadays. That's gas money right there. The only way you could get me to dyno my car is for me to finally attach every mod I have planned, or at least more than one piece of equipment, and then do it. Course, that defeats the purpose of finding out which mod makes how many hps. I know, I know, with that kind of thinking we'll never know what each mod makes, but like I said, I don't have much money lying around. If any of us did, we'd have numbers for each mod we've done, but it seems like most everyone doesn't want to waste money dyno testing their mods. On that note, has anyone had their Rav dyno pulled for base numbers? That could be a good thing to have for everyone just so we know what numbers our Ravs put out. Then if anyone dynos their car later after mods they wanted, we'd have at least have an idea of numbers their mods increased the output for those combinations of parts. It's too late for me as I already have a bolt on exhaust. It'd be nice to know if the exhaust even increased the power 1-2 hp, but I have no base graph to compare it to. However, I will try to dyno after I add on Weapon R's secret weapon intake with and without the ram air kit attachment soon as I finish the rally cross event I joined next month. Don't want to be bumped up in class cause of it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ronin, I have a celica air intake that I modded to fit a 4.2 rav. I sold my car, so I don't need it anymore. Only had it for 6 months, so it all looks good. I'd be happy to sell it to you for $30 which is cheaper than any Dynos :lol: I also have the breather filter for the top of the engine block and have photos of the intake in the box, and installed. Check out my album for the installed photo. I can send higher resolution pics to your email if you like.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Slayer said:
Yeah, but see, who wants to waste $50 nowadays. That's gas money right there. The only way you could get me to dyno my car is for me to finally attach every mod I have planned, or at least more than one piece of equipment, and then do it. Course, that defeats the purpose of finding out which mod makes how many hps. I know, I know, with that kind of thinking we'll never know what each mod makes, but like I said, I don't have much money lying around.
I'd contend that it's a waste of money to spend a few hundred on an intake and exhaust without knowing what they do. Ideally the manufacturers provide such things but since there's not much of a tuning community on what's largely perceived as a soccer-mom mobile it's up to us.

Could be gaining a few horsepower at peak, but losing some down low.

Heck, could be looking at a no gain mod and be really throwing money away.

Like on the Celica, you have to be careful with header/exhaust tinkering. There's a divider plate in the header and halfway down the midpipe before the cat that simulates a 4-2-1 header setup. Without it, you lose power. As some found out after dynoing their new exhaust setups. As you can imagine they were pretty upset to have spend all that money on an exhaust just to lose power.

But I guess you can always just be blissfully ignorant. :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mohit said:
an proper custom exhaust will give u more power than a cai. a cai will help your engine run more efficiently whilst giving only slight power increase.
id have 2 agree with mohit. i just had got my cai (AEM, celica). when i had only the exhaust i could feel the increase in power through out the power band but when i added the CAI i lost a bit of low end torque/performance but gained alot in peak power.
" u gain some, u lose some.." :roll:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Does the lose in the low end bother you enough that you'd consider reverting back to the stock airbox if you could? Or is the sacrifice worth it enough just to be able to pass on the freeways with confidence? By the way, those are some phat 20" there. You don't scrape the wheel wells at full wheel lock?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Slayer said:
Does the lose in the low end bother you enough that you'd consider reverting back to the stock airbox if you could? Or is the sacrifice worth it enough just to be able to pass on the freeways with confidence? By the way, those are some phat 20" there. You don't scrape the wheel wells at full wheel lock?
i drove to san diego 2day n i guess i was wrong. its actually doin pretty good, there IS power on the low end maybe the ecu needed to relearn and get used to the new configuration. it performs well from a dead stop too!
The rear right side rubs or when i turn left because my tires are 2 big :oops: 275/45/20 o couldnt return anymore , had no choice cause it came with the rims. im pretty sure once i get the correct tire size (255/35/20) there will b no rubbing even if i drop it some more.the stock overall diameter is around 27" the 275 tires i have have an overall diameter of more than 29"....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can anyone build me one if i pay them money? ive been dying for a cold air intake, but theres no way i have the time or skill to make one, anyone wanna help out a ny raver? :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Airmax, it wasn't really that hard, however, mine wasn't a cold air intake, more of a warm air intake. I bought the Celica 2.0 intake from EBAY and an engine breather filter from Autozone. I cut the intake with a hack saw after using all my spacial relations I learned from middle school. You need the part of the intake with the mass air flow sensor mount and the attachment for one of the two hoses that went to the old intake system. It's extremely important to clean out all the filings after cutting so they don't get sucked into your engine! Next was removing all the stock airbox, pipes, hoses, and MAF sensor. Finally push the intake pipe onto the throttle body and hook up everything that was left dangling from your de-install. The breather filter pushes on to the engine valve cover. Check out my album for a photo of one installed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
belle said:
id have 2 agree with mohit. i just had got my cai (AEM, celica). when i had only the exhaust i could feel the increase in power through out the power band but when i added the CAI i lost a bit of low end torque/performance but gained alot in peak power.
wow, i can't believe you hacked an expensive AEM set. i would just go with the cheap ones on Ebay. but that's just me. :shock:
BTW, i would really love to see some pics of your RAV. did you had your 2.5" exhaust custom built? did you replace the entire length or was it after the CAT converter?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RAV4J said:
belle said:
wow, i can't believe you hacked an expensive AEM set. i would just go with the cheap ones on Ebay. but that's just me. :shock:
BTW, i would really love to see some pics of your RAV. did you had your 2.5" exhaust custom built? did you replace the entire length or was it after the CAT converter?
:D i replaced the entire length n soon im getting the headers.. :lol: the cai was actually worth it. i dont have any regrets.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hacked airbox

I used to own a mitsubishi eclipse and was really into the import car scene. The points raised here are the same points raised in many other car forums.

Modding a Rav 4 for "performance" raises a few issues one needs to consider.

Say you put a CAI on the Rav, how significant are the gains? Add on a cat-back exhaust package... you are bound to lose low-end torque. Personally I would rather have low-end power rather than minimal high end gains. Unless one is racing the RAV, high end torque is irrelevant. If one is racing it, then one is on the wrong platform. Buy a Subaru STI or a Mitsu Evo8, maybe a 350Z.

What I want to accomplish is to make the RAV as efficient as I can. I have an automatic, it would be nice to gain back what I lose to the slushbox.

Has anybody ever just hacked the Rav4's airbox and put in a K&N?
Maybe that's where I'll start.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hi there people I am willing to help people make COLD AIR INTAKE only $100 SHIPPED TO YOUR DOOR. Just tell me and Buy it off ebay and cut it into pieces and buy any other extra parts needed

Engine BREATHER x1
2 more Rubber Cuppings Small Hose
Including FED-ex ground shipping.
All the Cuts and proper fitting before shipment.
I helped Zoomie888 did his recently.

Email me [email protected]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Heat Shield

I am going to use a drop in K&N and see if i can hack the airbox... I need a heat shield to keep the air cool ( or at least not hot) ... does anybody have any recommendations?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Help with the installation

I bought the Celica CAI and I have the idea how to cut it to fit the rav. But I have my doubts with the installation, not sure where somethings go, and I dont want to start doing the project with out knowing for sure where everything goes. Can anyone help me with some instructions for the installation?? You can add me to your messenger.

Thanks,
em

1 - 20 of 29 Posts