Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought of making one of those hood scoops functional or making a new one that works. It seems to me that the '01-'05 would be a great candidate for this mod. since the intake is on the top of the motor. Just a thought. I would do this mod. if I knew where to find the scoop for the top that would look ok. You would have cold air and the "Ram Air" effect. Maybe someone on here has it done and I missed it. Let me know maybe we could come up with something. I can fabricate almost anything. A join between the hood and the intake is not a problem. I would be a little nervous cutting into the hood though. My wife would probably have a fit! Oh well that makes it more fun! Thanks everyone if you have something to add. M.

·
Registered
759 Posts
i was thinking up something like this when i saw those tape-on scoops in a magazine, i was thinking since they're probably hollow, cut out the plastic or metal or whatever stopping the air and then cut a hole in the hood, of course it all seemed good in my head i'd never try it in real life b/c i'd mess it up :? but it seems like a good idea, i wouldn't go by me though :D

·
Registered
682 Posts
no ones done this yet. it would be cheaper to run a pipe from the air filter box down to the splash shield and have a cai that way. would cost about 30 to 40 smackeroos for piping, clamps and speaker port.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems to me like the easy way out. Also does it suck up alot of dust and stuff from the road. I use mine in water and mud puddles sometimes and I wouldn't want to have to unhook it everytime I wanted to do something. The top seems to be a more permanent solution although I agree it may cost a little more.

I may try it. I will buy another hood off one that no-longer needs it and experiment with it a bit to see what will work. Maybe I'll sell them as a kit. :lol: :lol:

Don't worry I won't let my friend near it. He has a bad track record of experimenting with things on the Rav4. :p

Thanks people. M.

·
Registered
759 Posts
how much would a extra hood cost? also would you have to make pipe run to the intake or just leave it open?

im getting my intake soon and probably just letting it go to the bottom

and for your 01-05...what about the optional hood with the scoop already on it, my parents have that and i looked under the hood once and seemed easy to just open it up

·
Registered
682 Posts
the cai from the bottom doesnt suck up a lot of dust or dirt. i've had my cai on for over a year without any probs. only had to disconnect the pipe running up to the filter once as i had to drive thru a flood (water level was above the intake entry point. if u drive thru deep water a lot i wouldnt recommend a low cai.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Water, deep snow, slush etc. Lots of thay here! I think I'll stick with coming up with a new idea. Thanks for your input. I'll let you all know how it works out. May be a while though. Later. M.

R

·
0 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about making use of that hood scoop. One would have to cut into the sheet metal to break through the hood but if you have to run through winters with salt and snow I would think it would gum up? I know subaru has a functioning one, perhaps a good way to find out if there were any problems.

I was thinking of a split system. Basically intake under the hood as per normal and then another path to the hood scope(that one could close up with a damper door or something via cable). That way I could either have it open or closed as I see fit. I think just some small duct work to drop air in front of the normal intake(inside) from the hood scoop would already help. I would still have some kind of damper door that I could close though.

Just something I thought of. I am going to play with the damper door idea(build something with a damper door that could open or close with a cable and spring of some sort).

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been thinking of the same thing. My big question is how to keep rain/sleet/etc. from getting sucked into the intake. They gotta have some setup. Does anybody know how they do this for a supercharger? It would probably be the same type of setup.

N

·
0 Posts
Any new info on this? Curious myself... Do CAI even help the New 05? I noticed the piping is pulling from the front of the bay as it is.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the '01 I found a place next to the rad on the drivers side where I can run a pipe out to the front. I will have to make an elbow of sorts but there won't be any engine compartment air sucked in what so ever. I will try this and let you guys know how it works out. M.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Marcutio said:
On the '01 I found a place next to the rad on the drivers side where I can run a pipe out to the front. I will have to make an elbow of sorts but there won't be any engine compartment air sucked in what so ever. I will try this and let you guys know how it works out. M.
Stupid question.. which side is your driver's side?

·
Registered
685 Posts
HA,HA,HA!!!!!
Newfoundland is a province in Canada......the "Republic of Newfoundland" is little bit of Newfie humor AND history, and the flag shown is definitely history, which I just happen to learn about from some visiting Newfoundland friends, just last week. My friend makes most of them.

Anyway.....to get back on topic..... :roll:

CDN RAV = LHD = USA RAV
.....driver is on left side

Smelly: Is the flex hose drawing air from the inner fender well or is it elbowed and going elsewhere.......can't really tell from the pic

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah, a history buff eh?

Our drivers side is on the outside. Which in some countries is the right and others is the left. So it all depends on which way ur go'in on the road. Sometimes I'm on the right but alot of times I'm on the left never in the middle unless I'm go'in downhill then to get back up I go ahead.

Get it?

Just kidding. North American models are on the right side, left. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
986 Posts
The easiest way to make a CAI for the Rav is to buy a CAI for a Celica and chop up the pipe to make it fit down into the fender by the fog light. A few members have done this, including Shorty (The Real Shorty) I think. You just buy a Celica CAI off eBay and make a couple cuts in the pipe, and reconnect them with rubber pipe clamps. The MAF and hoses fit perfect since it is a similar Toyota setup.

Connecting any type of tube to the stock air box is a waste of time, having done it myself in the past. The goal of a CAI is not just to suck in cold air, but also to keep it as cold as possible until it gets into the throttle body. So even if the tube is sucking cold air, the air still goes through the air box at low velocity (since it is a large box) and heats up over the engine. Keep in mind that the stock Rav4 airbox already comes with a form of a CAI (the short tube connected to the front of the air box). The only real way to use a CAI is to have the tube go directly from the throttle body down into the fender, staying as far away from the engine block as possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I actually did a hood scoop mod quite some time ago. I actually posted about doing it here, before I had actually done it. The Rav was maybe 1 month old before I decided to chop up the scoop (I hate fake scoops that much).
I have had no issues with water ingestion, excess dust/dirt, or other issues. Large debris is stopped by the stock mesh, and the filter gets the smaller stuff.. like a filter of some sort.

Here are some pics, it is a cut up Celica intake, same as most of the other people have used.

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/4318f373_fc1b/bc/My+Documents/HoodScoop1.jpg?bfe4jeDB_SnGuRmt
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/4318f373_fc1b/bc/My+Documents/HoodScoop2.jpg?bfRHkeDBHBZ9GA6u
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/4318f373_fc1b/bc/My+Documents/HoodScoop3.jpg?bfRHkeDB1PPLhPbX
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/4318f373_fc1b/bc/My+Documents/HoodScoop4.jpg?bfRHkeDBI5lWiXlJ
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/4318f373_fc1b/bc/My+Documents/Intake1.jpg?bfRHkeDB4AP_bJgB
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/4318f373_fc1b/bc/My+Documents/Intake2.jpg?bfRHkeDBJNo_s4TT

Please excuse the leaves, it is fall after all.

A

·
0 Posts
the 2005's stock almost has a SRI - short ram intake. the air filter is huge, it's on top of the head with an air intake routed from the front of the engine bay...it get's a decent amount of air people.

p.s. i would leave it as is - it's already a good design and doing some DIY would actually hurt performance. if anybody wants to argue, show me a dyno.

anyway, the best cheap MOD would be a head swap/package from ZPI. that would work well with the stock intake since it's not that restrictive.... :wink: - read the TURBO KITS PAGE

1 - 20 of 23 Posts