Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I really need some help!! I wan't to install a cold air intake to my 97 Rav4, can anyone give me some instructions on how to do it.
Pleeeease!
Thanks in advance
DrewDen

·
Registered
432 Posts
First of all, do you have one to install? If not, check ebay for one. They usually go for around $40 USD. So here's some basic instructions.

1. Remove old air system.
- Take off top of air filter housing. Remove old filter.
- On the side of the top is a little sensor (AIT sensor) just pull it out. Also take out the rubber piece that it went into.
- There are 2 hoses coming off this system. Disconnect them from the intake system, not the other ends.
- Now lossen clamp at the throttle body and remove all the rubber hose to the airbox.
- In the bottom of the airbox (where air filter was) there are 3 bolts. Remove those and pull it out.

2. Install new system.
- Attach rubber coupler to the new intake pipe and the throttle body.
- Attach those 2 hoses from earlier to the new pipe. (should have 2 things sticking out of pipe).
- Put on your air filter.

Pretty easy and self explanatory if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. Feel free to ask for other's advice as well. The type of system you get also dictates what you need to do to install it. Many of us have customized intakes, so we all know a little bit.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The ones on ebay are not cold air intakes. They suck in hot engine air. For the RAV4 you'll have to make your own cold air intake as no one makes one specifically for our cars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How to custamize air intake for 97 Rav4

You guys are great. I really appreciate your quick reply. Now that I know how to install an air intake, one bought on ebay, how do i costomise that into a cold air intake. I am not that good at these things hence all the questions. I appreciate any info you can give me.
Thanks in advance
DrewDen
Keep Rav-ing

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This forum Rocks! Once again thanks for all the support and ideas. That was a super demonstration on the CAI, great pics. I have to agree with Chuck, there might be some problems in the winter unless i didn't bring it all the way to the bottom.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I haven't had a problem with snow or water at all. I live in Michigan so I see my fair share of snow. Though I'm sure its a little more up there in Canadia. :D

S

·
0 Posts
There is another option available to you, that should work better in snow. You can get a Weapon R intake (way more expensive, and Dragon or Secret Weapon for th actual intake), then get the little kit that the call "Ram Air" and mount it somewhere (like drawing off the headlamps like the factory system, or under a headlamp as someone else did). This will lessen the factors of snow or rain. Another option is a bypass valve, which should (hopefully) cut off any incoming water from going into the system. Correct me if I am wrong, but do you have to turn a bypass valve on and off manually?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Here's the pics of mine. I've gone through deep water as well with no problem. The water would have to either completely cover the hole in the splash shield or be forced up in the tube to even have a chance at getting to the filter. So I can't see where a bypass valve is needed. Unless you like driving into ponds and lakes. :wink:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great pics and setup but the filters on ebay dosen't look like that. Where would i get one like yours??

S

·
0 Posts
That "filter" you refer to is actually called a heat shield. The idea is that it creates a barrier between the hot engine and the intake filter. This allows the air being sucked in to stay cool. and in the case of this exact setup, it helps channel it into the intake. Really, if this is the route you want to go, it is almost essential.

Btw, the exact one he has is by a company called raceactive or racactive, decent company. But alot of others make them, and some are custom tailored to their filters, so the big thing is to shoose the filter, than choose the matching shield. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Derek said:
:lol: I live in Hawaii, so snow is not really an issue with my setup. As for water, I've driven through some very heavy storms and flooded roads without any problems. I believe AEM sells an air by-pass valve that solves the water (hydro-lock) problem; should also work for snow situations as well. :D

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0104scc_tested/
Derek,

Interesting product. I did a bit a research. Here's what people are saying about it:
http://www.carreview.com/cat/parts/intakes-filters/AEM/PRD_54370_2876crx.aspx

Sig

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hey Sig, Interesting reading how that one reviewer said that his intake sucked up water like a giant straw; and his engine was flooded with water. :shock:

Now that I think about it, my custom intake has an extra little tube that was supposed to be used for the valve cover vent hose. I opted to not plug it up.

Therefore, theoretically my intake can not act as a giant straw because there is a hole on the intake tube between the air scoop and filter. For example, take a drinking straw and puncture a hole into it and try to suck liquid through it. You can't, because there is not enough pressure to create a vacuum. I just hope that I do not cross a deep puddle to test my hypothesis. :lol:[/img]

·
Registered
650 Posts
Derek said:
Hey Sig, Interesting reading how that one reviewer said that his intake sucked up water like a giant straw; and his engine was flooded with water. :shock:

Now that I think about it, my custom intake has an extra little tube that was supposed to be used for the valve cover vent hose. I opted to not plug it up.

Therefore, theoretically my intake can not act as a giant straw because there is a hole on the intake tube between the air scoop and filter. For example, take a drinking straw and puncture a hole into it and try to suck liquid through it. You can't, because there is not enough pressure to create a vacuum. I just hope that I do not cross a deep puddle to test my hypothesis. :lol:[/img]
Makes sense! 8)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
But see, that wouldnt really make much of a difference on your intake. The 3S-FE sucks in a far larger volume of air than that little tube could supply. The only difference would be that it would give you a little more time than normal before it sucks water in.

And that example you gave about a straw makes sense... but with the rav4, think of it as having a vaccum-cleaner attached to the straw instead of you just trying to suck through it, big difference.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts