Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on a hunt for a cold air intake with no luck so far. I have been to a couple of Advance Auto Parts and all they are able to say is that no cold air intakes are made for the 1996 RAV4. I know this is untrue, for I have seen images of 4.1 RAV4s with cold air intakes installed.

I found this cold air intake on the net

http://www.racepages.com/performanc...1996&partid=15&brandid=544&skipped_brand=true

Can I get your opinion and suggestions on this product?

Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Correct, there is no CAI available off the shelf for the rav. The link you posted does not show a CAI. Many of us have made our own CAIs. Do a search as this has been talked about many times on the forum.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Try looking on ebay, there are always a few intakes being sold there. But those are short ram intakes. If you are looking for a true cold air intake with air being funneled from outside of the engine compartment, then you will need to customize your own from existing parts.

Customizing your own setup is the fun part! :D Let us know if you need help, there are a lot of us who have already made our own custom cold air intakes. :D

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CAI

I also have the same problem. Mine is a 99 RAV4 2.0L 3SFE and having a difficult time figuring out how to go about customizing a CAI for my RAV.

If anyone can explaing to me, like a 6 year old, which are the necessary parts in order to customize a CAI for my RAV I would be gratefull and hopefully beneficial to SevenFactors.

I've read other topics in relation to CAI within RAV4WORLD and spoken to the usual suspects like Mensajero and Mohit, but still uncertain. I have seen Mohit and Mensajeros setup but not sure about which would be the correct intake from the filter back. I've seen websites that offer the extension which would let the cool air in from the undercarriage.

Looking foward to replies and suggestions. Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: CAI

eahrayo said:
Those intakes look good. They are a lot better than the one I found. I wonder if they would be good for a 96 RAV4 as well.

I ran a search on the boards and I came up with Derek's setup. His setup is sick. I would like to have such setup in my Rav4, but I don't think it would serve me well. I will be taking my Rav4 offroading from time to time, so I don't know. Plus, I would have to see if I could come up with all the parts needed to build his setup.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. :D The CAI setups that you are interested in brings in the cool air from under the bumper. An air scoop/duct is located onto the plastic splash shield and an hose connected up to the enclosed air pod.

Others that have similar setups are Moza and Mensagero, and they can attest to the performance gains. If you will be off-roading, you will probably want to create a CAI setup that you can easily remove the piping in case you will ford any deep water. Water being sucked into your intake (hydro-lock) is not a good thing. :cry:

On the other hand, with the setup that I had; I've encountered many splashes in deep puddles without any problems. With setups similar to ours, water would have a difficult time splashing past the air filter anyways.

Sourcing the parts isn't too difficult. You will need to get a basic RAV4 short ram setup and modify the intake pipe to accomodate an enclosed filter pod (such as the K&N one that Mensagero has). You will also need a variety of hose clamps to attach everything together.

If you are interested in sourcing the parts for your project, everyone here should be willing to help. :D

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The Weapon-R Secret Weapon and Dragon intakes are going to be the best choice if you dont want to make your own, but it is pricey (especially the secret weapon). But the advantage is that its an intake that was tested and designed to work on the RAV4, and it also has the optional "ram air" adaptor kit you can add on to make it a true CAI.

Ive actually got both the secrect weapon and the ram air kit on order, but im currently running a shortram intake from ebay. you can get them for cheap (i paid 34$ for mine, shipped) and they do perform pretty well for what they are. keep your eye on ebay, youd be surpized what pops up on there. ( http://motors.ebay.com then go to parts and accessories, the put RAV4 into the search)

There are tons of options available, you just have to look hard enough 8)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
use a aem intake made for a honda, i have one and it fits perfectly how i wanted. it fits nice. works well too

·
Registered
654 Posts
dualcore1289 said:
use a aem intake made for a honda, i have one and it fits perfectly how i wanted. it fits nice. works well too
have any pics??

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you can use an intake from a 2000 VW golf 2.0. The only modification i had to make was to cut about 3-4 inches off the end so it wouldn't bump against the transmission. You also might need a different silicone connector.

·
Registered
654 Posts
JDUB1187 said:
you can use an intake from a 2000 VW golf 2.0. The only modification i had to make was to cut about 3-4 inches off the end so it wouldn't bump against the transmission. You also might need a different silicone connector.
do you have any pics???

·
Registered
199 Posts
I bought a CAI from Halfords (a UK car accessories chain), but the make of the induction kit is a US one I believe, "Greens Cotton Twister Induction Kit" and they fitted it for me and it works great. I already had a tube with an bend in it from my original filter kit from eBay (BOMZ one) so we just cut that down to fit the new enclosed pod filter, but tubing was gonna be fitted if I didn't have that.

I haven't a pic in my album of the pod set up but it is pretty much the same as the others on line here, enclosed, with my vent coming out the lower front spoiler which can be seen on my pics in my album.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts