Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

first forum post here. I am only posting it because I appear to have been hit by an issue that simultaneously has hit at least 5 other RAV4 hybrids, on the same day, in our area (Northern Ontario, Canada).

Background: We bought our RAV4 Hybrid LE earlier this year (~May), and things have been going good since we got it. No real issues.

Anyway two other guys in my office each also got one right after we got ours (XLE versions I think), and had aftermarket "Auto Start" remote starters installed. I tried to have one installed but due to parts availability it has been delayed, not yet installed.

About 1.5 months ago, coworker #1 had an issue one morning after using the remote start (his wife didn't realize the lights were in Auto), when his wife decided to delay going out that day, the lights stayed on, the 12V battery died, and a pile of warnings came in. I don't have the exact list but among them was Hybrid System Failure, Brake System Fault, that type of thing. Apparently it was lit like a christmas tree. It was not driveable. Whether these symptoms are even linked to my story below, who knows, but this coworker insists the behaviour and warnings were identical. Could be a red herring.

Fast forward to two days ago Monday. I get into the office, and both coworker #1 and #2 come to see me and ask me how my RAV4 hybrid is doing this morning. It was about -20 C (-4F). For reference purposes we'd expect it to get down to at least -40 C (-40 F) this winter, like all winters. Both coworkers had to have their vehicles towed to the dealership after a christmas tree of warnings came in. Their remote start didn't keep the lights on this time, the vehicle just wouldn't move. "Not Ready to Drive" with a pile of warnings. Both of them had driven it that morning, to a store or work or whatever. I hadn't had any issues, my wife made it to work like normal.

That evening my wife goes out grocery shopping. She calls me from the store, tells me the vehicle won't move. Gas engine is on and running, but "Hybrid System Failure", "Not Ready to Drive", and a christmas tree of warnings. She didn't write them down. I called roadside and the tow truck arrived pretty fast, off to the dealership.

So initially thoughts were "the remote start caused this", but, seeing as I don't have one, impossible.

So as I hear from our dealership, there are five RAV4 hybrids at the dealership here in Timmins, Ontario, with the identical problem, one in New Liskeard, Ontario, with the identical problem and apparently also a few more in the USA. In my mind must be cold weather related given the sudden onset.

The dealership has been good so far, Toyota Canada Engineering is involved, they've asked a few questions like driving habit, parking habits, slopped parking, front pointed up, down, etc. Still waiting on an idea or solutions. I don't think this is battery or electrical related, seeming more like maybe fluid in a line that's freezing that shouldn't be, maybe a line is accumulating water from condensation, who knows.

Wanted to post this here, see if anyone has encountered anything of the sort. Seems to be pretty widespread as it all hit on the same day, the coldest of the year.

·
Registered
395 Posts
2019 XSE Factory remote start...northern Montana...We’ve been as low as -17F..no problems..but the car is usually garaged over night..however during the day at work it is not and have had a few days with highs around 0F..

Seriously bad problem for sure! Hope they figure it out soon..🥶

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I hope so too.

Mine stays outside all day and night, and a few of the others also as I understand.

Anyway some irony is that Toyota's cold weather test facility used to actually be located here in Timmins, and was shuttered a few years ago. Land and building just sold to a new buyer. Unsure as to reason or if they moved it elsewhere but you can imagine the water cooler talk....

·
Registered
2918 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
813 Posts
I recall reading a warning associated with the parking brake and cold weather. And your weather is and is going to be really cold. Page 369 of my manual. Was the parking brake being used?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I can't look at the hardcopy of the manual since it's at the dealer but the vehicle automatically applies the parking brake whenever the vehicle is in park as far as I was aware?

So you're thinking maybe it's having an issue removing it?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Just want to mention that if it is related to the electric parking brake, this will not be a hybrid only issue since gas only have the same system.

There is an option to disable the automatic parking brake which then leaves the decision to the driver so this could be a work-around to test the potential freeze-up of this system. Needless to say, this would become an issue is parked on an incline where the parking paw in the transmission should not be the only thing holding the vehicle from moving.

By the way, the User Manuals can be downloaded as a PDF file from the Toyota.com web site

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I have used the online manuals and also pulled them up after responding.

As you say it would affect non hybrid versions, and I'd think the dealership would have figured that one out already.

Will keep the parking brake idea in mind in case I get it back and can try stuff myself.

Anyway I'll give an update when I have one but for now all three of us co-workers are in a holding pattern....

·
Registered
2918 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
813 Posts
The parking brake automatically going into park is an option you set on the parking brake switch. I forget if it is hold it up or down for two seconds. It has been 5 months since I set it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
(Edited for clarity)

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you get in the car and press "START" (or start it remotely), you won't even be able to shift out of Park if the hybrid system isn't completely ready. It’s failing an internal self-test. The parking brake (if set) would not have attempted to release yet since the car won't "start".

Seems like a full scan for fault codes should point to the source of the problem.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you get in the car and press "START" (or start it remotely), you won't even be able to shift out of Park if the hybrid system isn't completely ready. It sounds like it's failing a self-check of some kind, before you can do anything like release the brake. The parking brake (if set) would not have attempted to release yet since the car won't "start".
That makes more sense than my theory.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I think the self check fail is preventing the hybrid system from becoming ready to drive.

The dealer said they did a full code scan of all five that are there, and the other dealer the one that they have, with no solution apparent. So we wait for head office....

Just kind of funny that it's three of us in the one office...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi guys,

first forum post here. I am only posting it because I appear to have been hit by an issue that simultaneously has hit at least 5 other RAV4 hybrids, on the same day, in our area (Northern Ontario, Canada).

Background: We bought our RAV4 Hybrid LE earlier this year (~May), and things have been going good since we got it. No real issues.

Anyway two other guys in my office each also got one right after we got ours (XLE versions I think), and had aftermarket "Auto Start" remote starters installed. I tried to have one installed but due to parts availability it has been delayed, not yet installed.

About 1.5 months ago, coworker #1 had an issue one morning after using the remote start (his wife didn't realize the lights were in Auto), when his wife decided to delay going out that day, the lights stayed on, the 12V battery died, and a pile of warnings came in. I don't have the exact list but among them was Hybrid System Failure, Brake System Fault, that type of thing. Apparently it was lit like a christmas tree. It was not driveable. Whether these symptoms are even linked to my story below, who knows, but this coworker insists the behaviour and warnings were identical. Could be a red herring.

Fast forward to two days ago Monday. I get into the office, and both coworker #1 and #2 come to see me and ask me how my RAV4 hybrid is doing this morning. It was about -20 C (-4F). For reference purposes we'd expect it to get down to at least -40 C (-40 F) this winter, like all winters. Both coworkers had to have their vehicles towed to the dealership after a christmas tree of warnings came in. Their remote start didn't keep the lights on this time, the vehicle just wouldn't move. "Not Ready to Drive" with a pile of warnings. Both of them had driven it that morning, to a store or work or whatever. I hadn't had any issues, my wife made it to work like normal.

That evening my wife goes out grocery shopping. She calls me from the store, tells me the vehicle won't move. Gas engine is on and running, but "Hybrid System Failure", "Not Ready to Drive", and a christmas tree of warnings. She didn't write them down. I called roadside and the tow truck arrived pretty fast, off to the dealership.

So initially thoughts were "the remote start caused this", but, seeing as I don't have one, impossible.

So as I hear from our dealership, there are five RAV4 hybrids at the dealership here in Timmins, Ontario, with the identical problem, one in New Liskeard, Ontario, with the identical problem and apparently also a few more in the USA. In my mind must be cold weather related given the sudden onset.

The dealership has been good so far, Toyota Canada Engineering is involved, they've asked a few questions like driving habit, parking habits, slopped parking, front pointed up, down, etc. Still waiting on an idea or solutions. I don't think this is battery or electrical related, seeming more like maybe fluid in a line that's freezing that shouldn't be, maybe a line is accumulating water from condensation, who knows.

Wanted to post this here, see if anyone has encountered anything of the sort. Seems to be pretty widespread as it all hit on the same day, the coldest of the year.
HEY TIMMINS GUY

I'm from Timmins too! We bought our Hybrid back in July from dealer down south...still waiting for it but are supposedly next in line. This situation is a little scary. Cant have a vehicle that won't operate in -40 territory here in Timmins...tonight -40.

Keep us updated...we were told we would receive our vehicle in about a month

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah ya nice. We bought ours from New Liskeard and it is currently at James. Service has been good. I'll definitely keep this updated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah Collingwood offered a way better deal...James wouldnt even look at it. So I told them thats fine...I'll travel. Tools. Service department I was told does is not tied to the dealership. I've always had decent service with them here in Timmins.
Liskeard is good to deal with though?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I’m just spitballing here but it seems like in extreme cold like that, the car’s top priority would be to get the ICE started. If that’s successful, it can charge the hybrid battery during warmup and take care of a potential low voltage condition. Maybe there would be a few minutes before everything would then be READY.

Kind of like starting a diesel at that low temperature! ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah Collingwood offered a way better deal...James wouldnt even look at it. So I told them thats fine...I'll travel. Tools. Service department I was told does is not tied to the dealership. I've always had decent service with them here in Timmins.
Liskeard is good to deal with though?
Yes Liskeard was quite good, very responsive and honest. Price was better, James didn't care till I confirmed I bought in NL, then big story to get us back.... But Service has been good no issues.

When's yours due?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes Liskeard was quite good, very responsive and honest. Price was better, James didn't care till I confirmed I bought in NL, then big story to get us back.... But Service has been good no issues.

When's yours due?
Ill try Liskeard next time then...good to know.
We were told we were next in line...about a month. The long wait is due to ordering the XSE.
Collingwood has been great though to us...bought our truck from there.
It's funny how James Toyota doesnt think we will drive for better deals. The salesman even told me if we didn't buy from here he wouldn't come help us if we were stuck on the side of the road...couldn't believe that tactic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ill try Liskeard next time then...good to know.
We were told we were next in line...about a month. The long wait is due to ordering the XSE.
Collingwood has been great though to us...bought our truck from there.
It's funny how James Toyota doesnt think we will drive for better deals. The salesman even told me if we didn't buy from here he wouldn't come help us if we were stuck on the side of the road...couldn't believe that tactic.
Well for me after James found out that we bought in New Liskeard the salesman give us a long sob story about how it was better to buy locally and that if we boight locally it would ensure we got better service when it came time to service us. This is somewhat coming to fruition now as my two co-workers who did buy a James have loaner vehicles where as I don't. However I know that Toyota does not owe me a loaner vehicle per the warranty policy. However when I asked the service department what was the deal with loaner vehicles, the first thing she said is, "did you buy here?". I responded no and then she said that if I had the extended warranty I would be given a loaner vehicle. I fully respect the fact that I did not buy there so they don't own me these little extras, and I am okay with that. As long as I get serviced to the minimum of Toyota warranty standards and I am okay with it and I don't expect more from James than they actually owe me, as long as their service is friendly and they are reasonable people I'm okay with that.

I guess if this particular issue continues on for a while, it is common for Toyota to give their customers a loaner vehicle right from corporate head office. I will be looking to that if this continues on for many more days, as obviously only having one vehicle is quite the inconvenience (we have two vehicles with two kids and so now this is quite the downgrade)

1 - 20 of 134 Posts