Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in Winnipeg and have a 2019 rav4 hybrid that is experiencing all the issues described here. parking brake not always releasing, headlights not always turning off, car running only on the ICE, multiple messages about various features and components when powering up, foggy/icy interior on cold days. One of the messages we get is that the braking power may be low. This is the most concerning message to me (also pretty concerned about being stranded somewhere if the vehicle won't start at all).

We brought our rav4 in for these issues in Dec and they cleared the codes and replaced the battery. Things were better for a time, but recently we are seeing all the above issues again. Our service department has advised us that Toyota is aware of the issue but has no eta on a fix.

Has anyone who had the relay replaced continued to see problems afterwards? How certain are people that this relay is in fact 100% the issue?

I've pointed my Toyota service department to this thread and asked them to make arrangements to replace this relay for us. Hopefully they are willing to do this for us, but for some reason I have a having feeling we are going to get push back on this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Myself and two colleagues have had no issues in very cold weather including temperature fluctuations. Two of us have had ours nearly two weeks and another colleague over a month.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to my Rav4 Hybrid here in Northern Vermont only not on the coldest day. It seems moisture has to build up for a while first. It was 15 degrees but that was cold enough. Bought it at White River Junction Toyota.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This exact thing happened to me this morning in Sault Ste Marie, ON. Brand new 2020 Rav4 Hybrid Limited with 700 km on it. Waiting fir the dealer to take a look at it but they gave me a loaner right away which is great--I can't be without a vehicle. Hoping that this issue has circulated around the Toyota community enough that they won't have trouble getting it resolved. I'll respond when I get an update.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Same here, I am in Ottawa as well. All back windows were frozen from the inside and my windshield was half frozen. I drove mine yesterday. At least like you said, no hybrid malfunction.

Never had a car with this many freezing problem. Same with my windows rolling down. everything it's freezing, I have to insert a card to break the ice between the windows and the seal or else I can't roll them down.

Also have ice or snow build-up where the roof and hatch meet. There is a crack and the snow or ice build up there and I can't fully open the hatch. I have to clear it up before. Annoying lol.
Okay a bit of relief knowing I'm not the only one. But yeah, I have never, over my past 12 vehicles, ever had ice buildup on the inside of the freaking windows like this before. First time I thought
my kids rolled down the window a crack so I had to make sure they were done up. But yeah, having to run the A/C all winter is ridiculous. There is a design flaw there, whether it'is not enoough
seals, the super thin/cheap glass they moved to in order to reduce weight (for more MPG), I dunno but it's not good.

Oh and when it hit below -5C here, I go through the drive through for my morning java - and the window was stuck! It froze stuck up at -5C. I've never had that happen before even at -30C with
any other vehicle. Was super embarrassing to go through the drive-through and have to open my door to place my order and get the coffee. Why yes sir this is a "reliable" $40,000 brand new
vehicle, not a 1985 Reliant K-car where the windows don't work. :-\

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
We had zero temps (-22 w/wind chill) this weekend and, fortunately, I’ve had no problems like this...yet.
Sadly, my trip on the interstate (70-75 mph) only yielded <26 mpg, the lowest mpg I’ve ever gotten with a hybrid.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We had a "hybrid system malfunction" at -30C but the vehicle would still drive in sport mode.

I got it back from the dealer today, and the writeup says that the "IGCT relay" that had gotten moisture in it. Supposedly they're redesigning the part.

Anyways, they replaced it with what I'm told was the original part to get me going again (weather is much warmer now) and once the redesigned part is available I should be able to get it swapped out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,

Im in Ottawa and had the same issue only I do not have an auto
Hi guys,

first forum post here. I am only posting it because I appear to have been hit by an issue that simultaneously has hit at least 5 other RAV4 hybrids, on the same day, in our area (Northern Ontario, Canada).

Background: We bought our RAV4 Hybrid LE earlier this year (~May), and things have been going good since we got it. No real issues.

Anyway two other guys in my office each also got one right after we got ours (XLE versions I think), and had aftermarket "Auto Start" remote starters installed. I tried to have one installed but due to parts availability it has been delayed, not yet installed.

About 1.5 months ago, coworker #1 had an issue one morning after using the remote start (his wife didn't realize the lights were in Auto), when his wife decided to delay going out that day, the lights stayed on, the 12V battery died, and a pile of warnings came in. I don't have the exact list but among them was Hybrid System Failure, Brake System Fault, that type of thing. Apparently it was lit like a christmas tree. It was not driveable. Whether these symptoms are even linked to my story below, who knows, but this coworker insists the behaviour and warnings were identical. Could be a red herring.

Fast forward to two days ago Monday. I get into the office, and both coworker #1 and #2 come to see me and ask me how my RAV4 hybrid is doing this morning. It was about -20 C (-4F). For reference purposes we'd expect it to get down to at least -40 C (-40 F) this winter, like all winters. Both coworkers had to have their vehicles towed to the dealership after a christmas tree of warnings came in. Their remote start didn't keep the lights on this time, the vehicle just wouldn't move. "Not Ready to Drive" with a pile of warnings. Both of them had driven it that morning, to a store or work or whatever. I hadn't had any issues, my wife made it to work like normal.

That evening my wife goes out grocery shopping. She calls me from the store, tells me the vehicle won't move. Gas engine is on and running, but "Hybrid System Failure", "Not Ready to Drive", and a christmas tree of warnings. She didn't write them down. I called roadside and the tow truck arrived pretty fast, off to the dealership.

So initially thoughts were "the remote start caused this", but, seeing as I don't have one, impossible.

So as I hear from our dealership, there are five RAV4 hybrids at the dealership here in Timmins, Ontario, with the identical problem, one in New Liskeard, Ontario, with the identical problem and apparently also a few more in the USA. In my mind must be cold weather related given the sudden onset.

The dealership has been good so far, Toyota Canada Engineering is involved, they've asked a few questions like driving habit, parking habits, slopped parking, front pointed up, down, etc. Still waiting on an idea or solutions. I don't think this is battery or electrical related, seeming more like maybe fluid in a line that's freezing that shouldn't be, maybe a line is accumulating water from condensation, who knows.

Wanted to post this here, see if anyone has encountered anything of the sort. Seems to be pretty widespread as it all hit on the same day, the coldest of the year.
I had the same issue on the 21st of Jan here in Ottawa only mine does not have an auto starter. I drove from my house to the store parked, went in for 5 mintues and when I came out my car would not start, had the xmas light dash baord and all the hybrid warning messages. SO... I called roadside, they came and the guy wanted me to check again and ofcourse it decided to start after the 13th time but went into a gas only mode basically, saying there was a hybrid error and to see dealer. I drove it to the dealer with the tow truck following me but there were lots of warnings about braking system etc.... Needless to say im taking it in, its a week later and there have been no issues.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Fortunately these relay failures seemed to have occurred in populated areas. I would not be traveling to any remote areas with very cold climate and no cellphone coverage until Toyota installs the redesigned part.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is it the IGCT relay (part# 90987-02030)? Someone having this same issue in Canada posted this in a Facebook forum on Jan 14th. Was curious if that was the same relay. We also get some pretty cold temps here in MN during the winter months, so I'd like to avoid this issue if possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it the IGCT relay (part# 90987-02030)? Someone having this same issue in Canada posted this in a Facebook forum on Jan 14th. Was curious if that was the same relay. We also get some pretty cold temps here in MN during the winter months, so I'd like to avoid this issue if possible.
We have a 2019 Rav4 LE bought in mid June and are enjoying the experience. But, we've had numerous alarm messages on colder days, and twice it has not start. Today it was -12 C and it would not restart after short trip from cold start to the grocery store. A call to Toyota Roadside Assistance brought a two truck 2 hrs later. The car started when the truck showed up, but we drove it to the dealer. Looking at the service report, they diagnosed it as Hybrid System Fault, with Tech Tip 5090 and codes U011087 and U029387. They replaced relay part number 90987-02031 under warranty. They said they've made this fix to 5 Rav4s this week and have brought in a bunch of relays. We'll see how it performs going thru the next couple of cold days.

·
Registered
266 Posts
HEY TIMMINS GUY

I'm from Timmins too! We bought our Hybrid back in July from dealer down south...still waiting for it but are supposedly next in line. This situation is a little scary. Cant have a vehicle that won't operate in -40 territory here in Timmins...tonight -40.

Keep us updated...we were told we would receive our vehicle in about a month
In such cold weather, do you use engine block or oil pan heaters?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Had the issue, dealer changed the relay and the issue has not reappered so far. It’s been 2 days.

101 - 120 of 134 Posts