Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
BTW bought my 2020 Rav XSE two weeks ago. We've had cold weather but nothing crazy until Saturday. Came out to start the Rav and boom nothing. A few lights at first but after a few tries it was completely dead. Im hoping it is relay issue since there is a known fix but there are a few other dead battery posts that are concerning.
Vehicle is in dealership being looked at now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Experienced the Hybrid System Malfunction on Feb 12 … leaving me stranded in -40C and waiting for a tow (flatbed) … So disappointed with Toyota. I mentioned the replacement relay to the dealership, but the Service greeter (not the Tech) disregarded any input and just repeatedly said Toyota Canada is investigating the issue. This is the interim "solution" they provided …. which was, "No fix yet, but if it happens again …" It seems the malfunction triggers some codes that render the vehicle inoperative. Their solution is to reset and ignore the codes.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Experienced the Hybrid System Malfunction on Feb 12 … leaving me stranded in -40C and waiting for a tow (flatbed) … So disappointed with Toyota. I mentioned the replacement relay to the dealership, but the Service greeter (not the Tech) disregarded any input and just repeatedly said Toyota Canada is investigating the issue. This is the interim "solution" they provided …. which was, "No fix yet, but if it happens again …" It seems the malfunction triggers some codes that render the vehicle inoperative. Their solution is to reset and ignore the codes.

View attachment 149598
I am in Ottawa, I used to have the issue as soon as it was -10 or colder, it would not start or give me a check engine with the message hybrid malfunction bla bla bla.

They changed a relay and it was -38 this morning and it started without any issues since they new relay. When I finish work, i'll check the dealer repair sheet if there is a part number. This is the fix that was approved by Toyota Canada.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Below is the relay my dealer replaced it with after getting Toyota corporate to authorize the warranty repair. It is located in the rear with the 12v auxiliary battery. It took about two weeks of calling the dealer for updates and calling Toyota corporate to file a complaint as the solution was done by a Timmins dealer mid December. Don’t give up, they showed me the same tech tip at first as well. Trying to restart 5x or more is not acceptable.
9098702031 - Relay. Igct; ignition, no. 1. Engine, floor, door - Genuine Toyota Part

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have had this problem twice now, in colder weather in Ottawa (<-20C today). Bank St. Toyota did a "software update" the first time about two weeks ago. It is going back, on a flatbed, today, hopefully for a more permanent fix. Which dealer did the work for you?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Below is the relay my dealer replaced it with after getting Toyota corporate to authorize the warranty repair. It is located in the rear with the 12v auxiliary battery. It took about two weeks of calling the dealer for updates and calling Toyota corporate to file a complaint as the solution was done by a Timmins dealer mid December. Don’t give up, they showed me the same tech tip at first as well. Trying to restart 5x or more is not acceptable.
9098702031 - Relay. Igct; ignition, no. 1. Engine, floor, door - Genuine Toyota Part
Hi, could you please provide photos of where this relay is located? I am gonna get the part and keep with emergency kit in case I ever need to replace it.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, could you please provide photos of where this relay is located? I am gonna get the part and keep with emergency kit in case I ever need to replace it.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
I don’t have a picture but you need to remove the quarter panel to access the battery. There’s a small and larger fuse box next to battery. It’s located in the larger fuse box. It’s the only relay in there I believe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bank St. Toyota has informed me that it is a relay that needs to be replaced. The service call needed to be escalated to Toyota Canada, and a rental replacement MAY be on offer since the car is not reliable. Service Manger also indicated that they have six of these relay replacements on the books, so don't be surprised if you find your new Rav4 in the shop. Hopefully Toyota will be proactive instead of leaving you stranded (twice!) like they did with us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if this is related to the relay issue identified here, but I just returned last night from a trip and my 2020 RAV4 Hybrid XLE would not start after being parked for 5 days. I was able to unlock the car but when I tried to start it, I got a “key system malfunction” message. I tried the alternate way to start the car as stated in the owner’s manual (holding key to the push button), but that didn’t work either. Battery was dead. Fortunately I was in an airport garage with a jumpstart service that arrived within about 10 minutes but still no fun (especially with two exhausted kids). I am 99% sure that we didn’t leave on any lights, etc., though of course I don’t know for certain. However it was dark when we left so I think my wife or I would have noticed.

Car was purchased 18 days ago. We live in northern Virginia; temperatures got down into the teens (F) this past weekend—easily the coldest it has been since we purchased the car, but certainly nowhere near what you folks in Canada experience. The garage was sheltered but not heated (and we were parked on the perimeter).

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think everything in the entire vehicle shuts off after a length of time, even if you left a door open, or a switch on. (Headlights, interior dome lights, trunk light, these all will shut off.)

The only people I know that have had any type of issue with battery drain have some sort of aftermarket install like a dash camera. (Which is setup incorrectly because it should never kill the battery)

I'm assuming your vehicle is stock as it is so new. It's possible you just got one with a bad battery.

Where we live the vehicle has been exposed to temperatures in the 10-20f range without issue.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
Here is an entire thread on the subject of dead batteries. It is happening more frequently than you think and Toyota needs to get to the bottom of it. In the meantime, I carry a couple of booster packs (Audew and Topvision).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is an entire thread on the subject of dead batteries. It is happening more frequently than you think and Toyota needs to get to the bottom of it. In the meantime, I carry a couple of booster packs (Audew and Topvision).

Thank you--my incident definitely seems more in line with what was reported in that thread.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts