Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since ownership, i've never once had the system flash a warning, or BRAKE warning, etc. and i've had some close calls or had a lot of speed approaching a stopped vehicle.. My previous couple Honda's would immediately flash a big BRAKE wording on the center cluster gauge and or even begin to start braking as well as make a lot of LOUD beeping sounds.

So far it seems it's not doing a thing on the Toyota so far.. It's turned on and enabled in the settings for sure.. Does the LKA or something need to be turned on (via steering wheel) for the collision system to work as well? The only thing i've seen actually work is the warning for crossing lanes without blinker on..

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
Mine has flashed the red BRAKE on the MID when approaching a vehicle that's in my lane making a right turn that I knew would be out of the way before I got there and didn't feel the need to brake, wasn't close enough for it to auto brake tho.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Try using the cruise control one time on the highway. Its scary the first time but the car will slow down and speed up as needed. It will break hard when needed. Report back if it doesn't and you are still able to type.

Super doubtful... i'm a terrible driver :)

·
Registered
860 Posts
The times that I have had mine trigger is when you are getting too close to a car that is slowing in front of you and you have not touched the brake pedal yet. Such as letting off the gas as someone is slowing to make a right turn in front of you. You let off the gas and coast towards the rear of the car slowing in front of you, the system will flash a message on the screen, make a sound and begin to apply the brakes for you. Usually this happens at the moment I'm about to touch the brake pedal. To me, this is a distraction since your attention is now taken away from the situation which is well in hand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine has done none of the above yet.. (except for the auto cruise control which works fine) maybe it's broken lol

·
Registered
860 Posts
Mine has done none of the above yet.. (except for the auto cruise control which works fine) maybe it's broken lol
I would imagine that it would use all of the systems used for the cruise control. Go ahead, you know you want to tail-gate someone :devilish: Just make sure your foot is very close to the brake pedal but not touching it. You know, I wonder since it does used the same systems if the 3 bars for spacing used by the cruise control has anything to do with the distance before the beeping and message?

·
Registered
21 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, I almost hit a deer right in the middle of my lane. Sudden evasive action on my part avoided this "accident"... No warning from "Toyota Safety Sense 2.0".....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine alarm went off last week. The road was curved to the right but there was a car in the left turn lane that was stopped. I was doing 80km/h (50 mph) and due to the curve in the road I was heading straight for that car in the left turn lane for a little bit. Only the alarm and red flash on the dash went off but that stopped immediately as I was naturally turning away from that car following the road.
First time hearing that was a bit of a shocker. They almost should have a video or demo of all the alarms so you know what to expect.

·
Registered
558 Posts
There is a pre collision timing setting. Its in the MID and covered in the manual - page 233. I believe it comes from the factory defaulted to lowest setting. I have mine cranked to max (teanage driver uses the car mostly). Mine beeped at me once when someone cut me off. I had anticipated it and was already off the gas, I don't think it braked before I did - just beeped. My daughter mentioned it beeped at hear once also - same sort of scenario.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For me i had it beep a few times and once it braked to a full stop. Also same thing backwards. So for me its working great and probably has saved me from an accident by now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have my doubts mine is working at all.. I set it to the most sensitive setting since I bought the Rav and it never has alerting me to ANYTHING except for crossing a lane without my turn signal on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have my doubts mine is working at all.. I set it to the most sensitive setting since I bought the Rav and it never has alerting me to ANYTHING except for crossing a lane without my turn signal on.
Happened once to me. Going around a slow curve but heading for a parked car. Pulled away kinda late.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I’ve had my auto-braking activate twice when pulling into the garage and getting too close to the trash can in front of the vehicle. Another time I was backing into a parking space and a pedestrian walked behind me and the car auto-braked just in time to avoid hitting him.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Asked Service when vehicle brought in a couple of weeks ago, and he told me the PCS doesn't matter what the sensitivity setting it, or if radar ready is on. I told him that the only time I saw it work was when slowly driving towards the garage door, and never on the road, since I got so close had to brake myself. He wasn't impressed with the system, and said that if it did come on at higher speeds, probably too late.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Asked Service when vehicle brought in a couple of weeks ago, and he told me the PCS doesn't matter what the sensitivity setting it, or if radar ready is on. I told him that the only time I saw it work was when slowly driving towards the garage door, and never on the road, since I got so close had to brake myself. He wasn't impressed with the system, and said that if it did come on at higher speeds, probably too late.
Here's some examples of it working. The Europeans seem to be on car companies more when it comes to vehicle safety.

The beginning of the video has examples of the Rav4's collision avoidance system. It's pretty cool to watch. The crash tests are too. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since ownership, i've never once had the system flash a warning, or BRAKE warning, etc. and i've had some close calls or had a lot of speed approaching a stopped vehicle.. My previous couple Honda's would immediately flash a big BRAKE wording on the center cluster gauge and or even begin to start braking as well as make a lot of LOUD beeping sounds.

So far it seems it's not doing a thing on the Toyota so far.. It's turned on and enabled in the settings for sure.. Does the LKA or something need to be turned on (via steering wheel) for the collision system to work as well? The only thing i've seen actually work is the warning for crossing lanes without blinker on..
My red flasher not only works very well but a couple times the brakes have slammed hard when an inconsiderate person walks behind my car when backing up. Overall very happy with the system

·
Registered
6 Posts

Def worked for me.....twice. I was backing into a parking space and some yahoo pulled right into the space behind me and I almost backed right into him. The Warning Stopped my RAV4 dead about 9in from the offending parking space thief. Other time I was turning into a driveway and someone dashed in front of the car and the warning system stopped the car before I hit him.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Rav4 XSE, works great, maybe to good. The auto brake for backing up to soon but it works. Front samething like when you are at a 4 way stop if you go forward before the care is all the way from in front of you it will stop. If you are parking forward into a parking spot with a wall and you do not stop right away, The car will. It is really up to speed and how close it is to you. Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 22 Posts