Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking a buying a new 2018 RAV4 Hybrid Limited. At this point, my only hesitation has to do with passenger comfort and noise level on a long road trip.....meaning 85MPH for 4-5 hours straight.
Any feedback based on first-hand experience, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Yes, whatever you do please don't buy any model RAV4. Now that you know where we are you'd just have a never ending list of complaints -wind noise road noise, bad handling, poor fuel mileage, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the feedback. Just you know where I'm coming from, I drive a Lexus GX460 now....I don't expect the same comfort level from the RAV4 at 80-85MPH.
I'm looking at the RAV4 for 95% of my driving needs (around town, to/from the airport, etc.), but still want a vehicle that I can occasionally take a road trip in, without too much discomfort.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Coming from 2014 Accord Coupe EXL V6 myself to a 2014 RAV4 XLE AWD. I like the handling and ride of the RAV4, it is firmer. The road noise at speed was not pleasant. I took the interior out and installed sound deadener from RAAMaudio. I covered the floor, wheel wells, and inside doors. The sound is level is about the same as my accord at 85 mph. Doing the doors made a huge difference.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only have 8200 miles on my RAV4, but I've found it does quite well at speeds above 75 MPH. It feels like there is plenty of power left. It is very smooth, many times you won't even realize you're going that fast. If you have the radio on you really won't notice the noise. Its probably about average for amount of noise if not better. Previous car was a 2008 Honda Civic and that struggled at speeds above 80 and was pretty loud at those speeds.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Not much point in spending the extra cash for a hybrid since its fuel mileage advantage is primarily in stop and go driving. At 85 mph fuel mileage will not be anything approaching impressive.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Not much point in spending the extra cash for a hybrid since its fuel mileage advantage is primarily in stop and go driving. At 85 mph fuel mileage will not be anything approaching impressive.
I agree. Other SUVs might be more efficient at the speed.

Still need to say that Hybrid version is impressive if we compare with gas only version (in sport mode).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

75% of my driving will be in town, where I look forward to 35MPG instead of my current 13-14MPG.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You need to be very smooth to achieve 35 MPG. No way you will acheive that with 25% highway at 85 mph.

See my fuelly signature. My main commute has some hills, and always have roof rack installed, but I try to drive at 110 km/h, max 120 (75 mph). I'm doing 75% highway.

My MPG will be worst in few months because it will be my first winter with the RAV4H and here it gets very cold.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
75% of my driving will be in town, where I look forward to 35MPG instead of my current 13-14MPG.
So why not have two SUVs? I keep two trucks and four cars registered, all for different purposes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
So why not have two SUVs? I keep two trucks and four cars registered, all for different purposes.
I thought it was a joke but then I saw your signature! :laugh

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
I thought it was a joke but then I saw your signature! :laugh
Yeah, It does seem like I'm constantly getting insurance bills.
I think there are two or three somewhere in the pile on my desk right now. :egad:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I see hybrids every now and then, but nobody doing 85 MPH:lol: Generally I keep things around 70 and let her glide on the downhills. That's about the only time I see 70+ MPH I'm very please with the RAV and happy with the MPG's so far.:smile

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm thinking a buying a new 2018 RAV4 Hybrid Limited. At this point, my only hesitation has to do with passenger comfort and noise level on a long road trip.....meaning 85MPH for 4-5 hours straight.
Any feedback based on first-hand experience, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
It's a compact SUV. It's going to be loud and unsafe to drive at 85MPH.

You need a large, heavy and aerodynamic vehicle. Like a 7 series BMW.
it's unsafe to drive that fast if your surrounding traffic is going 60...

of course ..in Germany you should be fine...but in North America..unless your on rural..
it's not safe

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
Why 85? What is your criteria for the need to travel at that speed? There are 80 MPH speed limits in Texas but that doesn't mean you must do that. Is there something wrong with a bit slower and the right lane?

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
it's unsafe to drive that fast if your surrounding traffic is going 60...

of course ..in Germany you should be fine...but in North America..unless your on rural..
it's not safe
Is there anywhere in the world you can drive 85 mph for 4-5 hours?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts