Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to "de-feminize" the Rav4, I searched high and low for some wheels that would bring an aggressive look to the car. I wanted to find something time correct (90's) that matched the style of the car, while being something unique at the same time. The search turned to JDM wheels. Supra, 240SX, 350Z, RX-7, Impreza, there was a few great choices as these vehicles share the same bolt patterns. But, it was tricky finding a set of 16's, since most of these cars had 17's or larger.

But then, I stumbled upon this.

This a Skyline R32 GT-R. Of course as most of you know, this car wasn't sold in America. The car shares the 5x114.3 bolt pattern of the Rav4 but has a slightly bigger hub bore of 66mm. The Rav's hub bore is 60.1mm, but hubcentric rings will fix this. The wheel is 16x8 with an offset of +20, compared to the stock alloy wheels which are 16x7 with an offset of +40. These wheels are also forged and lightweight.

Finding them was quite a feat. Since they weren't available in America, the wheels were even harder to find. There were auctions on eBay from Japan but the costs of shipping almost made the wheels $700-800 which was far more than I was hoping to pay. The other issue was if I wanted to find a 5th wheel as a spare, that it could easily be purchased if need be. Concerning used JDM wheels, this would be tricky.

Luckily after searching the local Craigslist, I stumbled upon a listing 3 hours North. A Skyline R32 importer/owner was selling his stock set to clear space. And the best part, he was selling 6 wheels and tires. I showed my interest but didn't have the money on hand. Almost two months later, he told me the wheels were still available and that he was going to be going 1.5 hours South for the weekend and that he really wanted to get rid of the wheels, told me to throw an offer.

I met him at the spot and the wheels are in good shape. A few have chips and minor curb rash due to age and wear/tear but mostly overall clean with 6 wheels to choose from to put on the main 4. Offered $350 and it was a done deal. Very excited to clean these up and put them on. Going to be installed on 235/65/16 tires which will definitely be more aggressive looking.

Will post updates soon. It's going to take a few weeks to get tires, hub rings and lug nuts. Share your opinions.

·
Super Moderator
862 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are actually the Skyline GT-S wheels which have a slightly different offset/width (16x6.5 and +40) but thats cool to see it done!

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Nice-looking wheels. The wheels you have now aren't bad, however. I freaked out when I saw the picture thinking that those were WIDE....:surprise.then realized they were set next to the wheels that are already on the car....:wink

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They will sit pretty much flush with the fender if not slightly further out. Compared to stock they will be 23mm's more outward.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Women drive everything. All SUVS are driven by women. Most drivers I see on the road are women. Heck I see women driving Jeeps and FJ Cruisers. More manly/bigger a car, more I see women driving it.

The first generation RAV4 was the manliest one they made anyway. LOL !!

How would you de-faminize a vehicle? LOL ! :D

I think your best bet is a beat up pickup truck that has silver balls hanging in the back. LMAO !

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nice wheels, should look great.

I would agree with them probably being narrower than 8" with a 205 tire on.
I had 7x16s with ET 35, now with ET 42. Both fitted easily within the arches.
Is yours lifted at all, as 235/65x16 will rub on the front?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is stock height. The reason I will be going with that size is to accomodate the extra width of the wheel, while maintaining the same overall diameter for speedometer and odometer accuracy, which is an important factor most people don't take into account.

As far as rubbing goes, once they are installed I'll let you know. I may put them on my current 215/70/16 tires before I buy the new tires come tax season but I need to get the hub rings and lug nuts first.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sorry, I'm wrong. It's 235/70x16 that will rub. You'd be better off with the 235/60x16 that some 4.1s came with, or 225/70x16 that some people, me included, have fitted.

Good to know there's a valid reason for your choice though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked out the 4 (and 5th as a spare) best wheels out of the 6 today. One was immediately out of the running after noticing it had massive curb rash and deteriorated center cap. I felt like a parent being asked which child is their favorite. LOL. Degreased the wheels, removing a lot of caked on brake dust in the process, and gave them a soap bath afterwards followed by a coat of wax. Lug nuts and hub rings will be here Saturday, then I will be ordering some TRD center caps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Feminized says it all for the evolution of Japanese cars the last 30 years in terms of styling and marketing for North America. The original Civics, Suzukis, Toyotas, just to name a few were so wonderfully masculine and utilitarian
in the beginning. Hope no one offended.:surprise

In my quest to "de-feminize" the Rav4, I searched high and low for some wheels that would bring an aggressive look to the car. I wanted to find something time correct (90's) that matched the style of the car, while being something unique at the same time. The search turned to JDM wheels. Supra, 240SX, 350Z, RX-7, Impreza, there was a few great choices as these vehicles share the same bolt patterns. But, it was tricky finding a set of 16's, since most of these cars had 17's or larger.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At the tire shop now! Had to clear out space at my place so I decided to go ahead and get them mounted to the 215/70/16 tires for now until I get new tires in a few months.

It will almost be complete, short of the lug nuts that will be arriving on Saturday. I have another set of shorty lug nuts that will work until then. Luckily the hub rings came in today and I have the day off so decided to go ahead and get them mounted up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wheels installed! The 215/70/16 tires look better than expected! These wheels are a couple pounds lighter than the stock alloys, probably by 3-5 lbs. Fitment is great, almost flush with the fenders. Dare I say, could still even use a 5mm spacer to get them out that much further. But this will hold me over until my tax return comes in in February-ish. Will be installing the black lug nuts this weekend but for now the silver ones don't look bad. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll also grab the TRD centercaps I'm looking at. Debating whether I should put on the Nissan ones for now. Opinions?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Even without bigger tires, it looks properly proportioned cuz the wheel and tire ratio offsets the wheel gap. Advice is put some 30mm spacer on the back so the back wheels would even out same as the front wheels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts