Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody seen the new RAV4 commercial with the moving cardboard boxes? If not: a new RAV is driving thru a parking lot and pulls into a space. All around it are average looking cardboard boxes of various sizes, moving around by themselves. There are other people trying to put boxes into their own cars, as the RAV4 owner also does. As the new RAV pulls away, two boxes follow for a short while, then turn away out of the picture. If there are words to go along with this, I don't recall them, maybe a sentence about "new bigger RAV4." Does anybody understand this commercial? I mean, is there a point that I just don't get? (obviously...)

·
Registered
654 Posts
I dunno. Maybe it's a metaphor for being able to handle a pesky flying box, or is that a tree-climbing box??? :? Yeah, yeah, I know it's meant to mean that there's more room and makes life a whole lot easier but it certainly didn't make me go "Hey! I own that cool car!"

Toyota won't be able to change its "plastic" image with these kind of commercials. I would have thought Toyota would have played up the new RAV as a more roomy, faster, luxurious car (and still affordable) considering the target market it's trying to reach.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I saw that commercial but I happened to have it on mute, so I didn't clue in to the fact that it was a RAV commercial until the last few seconds (by which point the visuals at least had my attention - my wife and I were wondering what the heck they could be advertising with such an odd advert).

I've also seen another RAV 4.3 commercial where it shows a lot of vehicles driving around that have transparent numbers stuck to them like post-its (some fluttering off in the breeze). Some of the numbers are "9/10", indicating (to me) gas prices numbers. Near the end of the commercial, the vehicle it tracks is a new RAV, and the gas price numbers can't stick to it. 8-}

Both commercials make extensive use of visual effects (tons of repeating special effects all over the background) to make the point clear.

The basic theme of these commercials seems to be the same advertising thrust that I've seen elsewhere about the new RAV:
It's bigger than before and gets pretty good gas mileage for an SUV. I agree with you though...all the special effects in the world won't make someone buy a new car. Just say the darn thing is bigger and cool on the gas, and be done with it. ;-}

-Brian

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
we seeen the box one too and after it was done we both looked at each other and said 'huh?'
What a horrible commerical. You would not even know it was for the Rav4 unless you looked really hard.. The person who came up with that should be in the cheese line..

H

·
0 Posts
They obviously hired an unemployed sitcom writer to handle these commercials. Aren't they hilarious? Give me a break! :roll:

M

·
0 Posts
lotsa flash personally would of gone a different route with the commercial... remember the pinto family where everyone had a pinto all the family members.... gee toyota show the loyal rav lovers and what the car means to us... hee

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Yeah... Commercial is definitely in the quirky/offbeat category... But the store that the RAV4 is visiting is IKEA, and if not, something very, very much like it -- so that in and of itself, brings along its quirky, offbeat nature. :p

What I particularly admired about the commercial, however, is that the special effects don't look like special effects. Whether it's all CGI shots or optical bluescreen effects, it never rears its ugly head. Very well done, indeed. 8)

I agree the message of the ad comes across a little too sedate because Toyota's repositioning of the RAV4 should bring along more innovative themes and ideas. I'm not looking for the weird Civic Hybrid commercial with the fish and flower thought bubbles and exploding nest of spiders (just too creepy for me! :shock: ), but they should at least have a clear message if they're not doing a conventional automobile commercial.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Last nite I saw the Hitchcockian "The Numbers" commercial (one ad industry article I read compared it to a scene in "The Birds") and I must say it's at least a little more amusing than the whimsical "IKEA Boxes" spot.

Once again, the special effects were very well done and very transparent, despite the fact that gas station sign number cards don't usually flap around of their own free will and swarm gas guzzling vehicles. :wink:

I read that Toyota US is aiming the RAV4 at families that aren't quite ready to latch onto the minivan stigma (and size and low gas mileage). It'd probably be a safe bet that the RAV4 will expand on these not-quite-serial commercials and continue the somewhat surreal visuals started in the first two -- primary theme of the first being cargo space, second being good gas mileage. What I'd expect next is passenger volume, likely showcasing the voluminous rear seat and optional third row. Where do they go after that? Maybe the V6? Not sure!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
jabba2000 said:
Anybody seen the new RAV4 commercial with the moving cardboard boxes? If not: a new RAV is driving thru a parking lot and pulls into a space. All around it are average looking cardboard boxes of various sizes, moving around by themselves. There are other people trying to put boxes into their own cars, as the RAV4 owner also does. As the new RAV pulls away, two boxes follow for a short while, then turn away out of the picture. If there are words to go along with this, I don't recall them, maybe a sentence about "new bigger RAV4." Does anybody understand this commercial? I mean, is there a point that I just don't get? (obviously...)

yes you are righty it use to say the new bigger rav4

·
Registered
404 Posts
Is the new RAV4 actually bigger?

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
Tony,

Those posts were all made in 2006.

·
Registered
404 Posts
RTexasF said:
Tony,

Those posts were all made in 2006.
LOL. Oops. Color me embarrassed. :oops:

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
Now that would be cool! The V-6 RAV is one of the most responsive cars I've ever owned. Of course the tree huggers would trip out big time.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
NYPD said:
They should make a commercial of the RAV4 drag racing against a dozen sports cars that look like they're suppose to be faster, but the RAV4 beats them all.
And while loaded with groceries in a snow storm

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
If you can't do packing you can also ask the movers to pack all the things as moving companies also do the work of packing also.
Did that once and the movers kindly packed the kitchen garbage pail.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Holy ancient thread revival, Batman!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts