Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Would anybody take the gamble on a 2010 V6 AWD with 180k miles? Seller is asking 8k, and claiming ~90% of miles were highway driven. Living in Los Angeles I can see it as a possibility especially living on the outskirts in the valleys, but who really knows. The car looks mint condition especially under the hood. My Prius was running strong at 160k but unfortunately someone totaled it last week while it was parked.. luckily I got a good chunk back and looking to buy something outright with cash and saving what would be monthly payments for something newer in the future. It’s really hard to find the V6!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Would anybody take the gamble on a 2010 V6 AWD with 180k miles? Seller is asking 8k, and claiming ~90% of miles were highway driven. Living in Los Angeles I can see it as a possibility especially living on the outskirts in the valleys, but who really knows. The car looks mint condition especially under the hood. My Prius was running strong at 160k but unfortunately someone totaled it last week while it was parked.. luckily I got a good chunk back and looking to buy something outright with cash and saving what would be monthly payments for something newer in the future. It’s really hard to find the V6!
The price could be a bit lower considering the higher mileage. Where I live finding a V6 is not that hard. If I could not find a V6 I would get a Lexus RX350 which has the same engine.

These cars are reliable and still run well with higher mileage. I am sure the struts and shocks will need to be changed if it is still original. That would be your first major expense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you willing to travel a little father from home? I found mine 200 miles away. I found several in the same area and made a weekend trip. The price is high for the miles. I would try to find something with less miles. I also agree you could look at the RX350.

·
Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
I found ours 1250 miles from home. Found it on cars.com or one of those car sites, made the deal over the phone flew to FL with a check and drove it back to CT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
8k seems high, unless truly in immaculate shape, with great service history, a quality inspection by a mechanic, and proof that they chained the oil religiously, and even then probably too high. For reference in my area, there is 2009 V6 with 190k miles near me listed for 6k, and also a 2012 V6 with 98k miles for 10,500.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in the mountains of Colorado and am considering the V6 4WD for more power getting up the hills and in snow. Are there any common problems I should look out for with the V6 models specifically? Does anyone that lives in a similar area find the 4 cylinder engine to be sufficient?
Very insufficient. I have an 08 been in the family since new has over 150 on it. It can't get out of it's own way. Do not waste your time buying an I4. If you live anywhere with hills buy the V6. The I4 is junk.

·
Super Moderator
9,040 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is the altitude at which you're driving. Normally aspirated engines (non-turbo) lose about 25% of their power at mile-high altitudes.

·
Registered
918 Posts
We have a i4 and live at 6K'. It does fine but not speedy. Still it makes ~175hp so enough for a 3.5K lb car. Would have loved to own a V6, but in the 4wd, 3rd row it was hard to find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. That makes a huge difference knowing the piston ring issue doesn't apply to the V6....I'm on a tight budget and was looking for 06-08.

My Forester has been great...aside from the engine issues...ha! So I'm selling it for cheap before it becomes a major issue for me.

Any instances you know of where timing chains wore out around certain mileage? Or do they typically last "the life of the vehicle" as so many claim?
I live in the mountains of Colorado and am considering the V6 4WD for more power getting up the hills and in snow. Are there any common problems I should look out for with the V6 models specifically? Does anyone that lives in a similar area find the 4 cylinder engine to be sufficient?
The v6 has a problem with the intake vvt cam gear. Very bad dry start! Now at 154,000 miles. Solution replace gear with upgraded one or your entire timing chain set! My reason for buying the v6 was because of the chain. Toyota failed this one!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The v6 has a problem with the intake vvt cam gear. Very bad dry start! Now at 154,000 miles. Solution replace gear with upgraded one or your entire timing chain set! My reason for buying the v6 was because of the chain. Toyota failed this one!
You got unlucky because this is not a common problem.

·
Super Moderator
9,040 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Very insufficient. I have an 08 been in the family since new has over 150 on it. It can't get out of it's own way. Do not waste your time buying an I4. If you live anywhere with hills buy the V6. The I4 is junk.
The 2.4L in the 2008 is pretty doggy, but the 2.5L is pretty snappy, at least my 2012 is. Never wished I had more power even in mountainous driving.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
16 Participants
lacro
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing