Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Common Problems with V6 engines

19K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Dr. Dyno 
#1 · (Edited)
I live in the mountains of Colorado and am considering the V6 4WD for more power getting up the hills and in snow. Are there any common problems I should look out for with the V6 models specifically? Does anyone that lives in a similar area find the 4 cylinder engine to be sufficient?

#2 ·
Zero problems with my 3.5 liter V6 '11 RAV so far. plenty of power in all situations including in our twisty road mountainous terrain. Engine has been used in various Toyota products for some time. What 4 liter engine is being enquired about?

#3 ·
The V6 is very reliable and for the most part trouble free. It will make going up the mountain more easier for sure especially if you load up with passengers. It has about 100 hp more than the 4 cylinders engine so say good bye to the ones on the slow lane.

#6 ·
One issue the V6 engines had is the '06 and some early '07 models had a high ignition coil failure rate. I replaced some of mine twice. Some had transaxle whine but those two issues have very likely been repaired on any you'll find now.
When offered by my dealer I had my rear eledtro-coupler replaced under warranty even tho it was not giving any problem but that wouldn't be specific to the V6 models. Neither would the wheel speed ABS sensors. After replacing both rears a few years ago I'm on to the front right one now.
Mine never had whine and I consider the other problems minor for the POWER and FUN the V6 gives.

#10 ·
I looked into the electromagnetic coupler bearing issue you mentioned, I had not heard of that one before. I'm not mechanically inclined, so I'm not totally sure what that entails. Is it a very expensive or complicated fix? Was it ever recalled or have a TSB released?

I've read about poorly designed piston rings on 06-08 models causing oil consumption issues (which is why I'm getting rid of my subaru), so I'm probably going to be looking for an 09 or newer.

I've also read the 06-09 models are prone to water pump issues, any experience with this?

#7 ·
Our '06 V6 has 147K and is running just as strong as when I bought it at 75K.
Recently I've purchased two Siennas with the same 3.5L V6. A 2008 that has the exact same 4WD system as our RAV4. With 187K it runs great. It's only negative is no spare, run-flat tires instead. Toyota went back to a spare in 2011 and I bought one for friends. With 150K it's FWD and virtually like new.

#11 ·
The em coupler was only replaced on mine because my local service manager likes me probably since we speak the same language, the truth.

The piston ring issue only applies to the I4 engines. Never heard of a single such issue on the V6 in my nine years here.

I did replace my water pump fairly recently but at 135K+ any wp can fail IMO.

The V6 IS the reason we have a RAV4. After test driving a 2008 V6 4WD for my BIL who lives in central Alaska I had to have one but it took about a year to find the one I wanted and convince our Forester to run away from home. That thing was a BIG waste of $$$. It kept on giving even after I sold it to a friend. Had to replace the head gaskets for free.

#14 ·
Thank you for the feedback. That makes a huge difference knowing the piston ring issue doesn't apply to the V6....I'm on a tight budget and was looking for 06-08.

My Forester has been great...aside from the engine issues...ha! So I'm selling it for cheap before it becomes a major issue for me.

Any instances you know of where timing chains wore out around certain mileage? Or do they typically last "the life of the vehicle" as so many claim?

#12 ·
Remember to look up the oil line recall/service campaign on the earlier V6 models. There was a rubber oil line (think for the VVTi) which could burst and wreck your day, among other things. There is more detail in the thread. Look for a steel line on affected models, or plan to change it, or get it included in the purchase (if not already done).

#13 ·
I have the I4 and I enjoy it a lot. I also live in a tight urban area, so not sure the V6 would be ideal.

You can go fast with the I4 and accelerate nicely. The Sport has sport-tuned suspension and alloy wheels; that helps a lot.

Uphill, yes, headwind, also yes, gonna be slower-going.

I didn't drive the V6 and assume that it would have won me over big time. But I4 is amazing and all I need.

#18 ·
I have an 07 V6 Rav with 180,000+ and still going strong. I had to replace 1 coil on cylinder 2 and replaced the water pump 2 times. The 2nd time was due to a defective pump. No other issues and still racing some older STIs. Im doing some exhaust work in the next couple of weeks. Im getting lighter wheels as well. The new ones will weigh around 21lb ea.

#20 ·
I have taken 4 Toyota 6 cyl to well over 300,000+ miles with faithful oil changes. The only V6 I remember that had problems was the early 2000s 4runner that the valves beat themselves to death. There was a recall and I had the entire top end replaced by toyota for free...

#21 ·
Would anybody take the gamble on a 2010 V6 AWD with 180k miles? Seller is asking 8k, and claiming ~90% of miles were highway driven. Living in Los Angeles I can see it as a possibility especially living on the outskirts in the valleys, but who really knows. The car looks mint condition especially under the hood. My Prius was running strong at 160k but unfortunately someone totaled it last week while it was parked.. luckily I got a good chunk back and looking to buy something outright with cash and saving what would be monthly payments for something newer in the future. It’s really hard to find the V6!

#22 ·
The price could be a bit lower considering the higher mileage. Where I live finding a V6 is not that hard. If I could not find a V6 I would get a Lexus RX350 which has the same engine.

These cars are reliable and still run well with higher mileage. I am sure the struts and shocks will need to be changed if it is still original. That would be your first major expense.

#24 ·
I found ours 1250 miles from home. Found it on cars.com or one of those car sites, made the deal over the phone flew to FL with a check and drove it back to CT.

Reactions: Mistermike
#27 ·
Another thing to keep in mind is the altitude at which you're driving. Normally aspirated engines (non-turbo) lose about 25% of their power at mile-high altitudes.

#35 ·
And remember to NOT use 85 Octane since the RAV4 requires minimum 87.
More accurately use Regular grade gas. Most places that will be 87 but may be 85 at high altitudes.

#37 ·
And of course we ALWAYS follow the manual.
Since we haven't heard from the OP in over a month I wonder if he has a V6 to put gas in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.