Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My small petite wife inherited a 2012 Base Rav4 v6 recently. What a fast vehicle it is! The only issue so far has been the height of the Rav4 while getting in to. Right now a small light portable step helps her a lot. The other issue is the full size spare mounted to the back door. She struggles to swing it open and closing it. I want to know if the spare can be moved to the back cargo area and secured successfully, hopefully the Rav4 guys and gals have done it already. Another option would be to look for a space saver spare from newer Rav4 or other Toyota vehicles that will fit her Rav4 and hopefully reduce some weight on that back door. Suggestions appreciated. Thank you. I'm a Mazda driver but her Rav4 is insane!

·
Super Moderator
10,894 Posts
The 5th door should open and close almost as easily as the other four. Lube the hinges perhaps? Putting the spare inside the car will take up enormous space and be difficult to secure. I don't know if a temporary spare would work but it would suffer similar space & tie down problems. Many on this forum hate the mini spare and want a full sized.....go figure.

My gal is petite, recovering from cancer, and 76 years old. She has no problem with the rear door on her '08 Base V-6 with the spare on the back so I'm left scratching my head over your predicament.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
There is quite a lot of metal in the rear swing out door, so for some people handling it can be somewhat of a task. The door-mounted spare (my wife's CR-V has a thinner spare than the road wheels but the same diameter, for example) can be removed and a same-diameter but thinner spare wheel could be secured in the cargo area, but securing it safely could be a problem. Mounting something like that on the rear door would help only marginally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 5th door should open and close almost as easily as the other four. Lube the hinges perhaps? Putting the spare inside the car will take up enormous space and be difficult to secure. I don't know if a temporary spare would work but it would suffer similar space & tie down problems. Many on this forum hate the mini spare and want a full sized.....go figure.

My gal is petite, recovering from cancer, and 76 years old. She has no problem with the rear door on her '08 Base V-6 with the spare on the back so I'm left scratching my head over your predicament.
Hello RTexasF, Removing the spare off rear door made a big difference in her opening and closing. Maybe just leave it off, quick fix, cost nothing. Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear your petite miss is okay.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Hi, My small petite wife inherited a 2012 Base Rav4 v6 recently. The only issue so far has been the height of the Rav4 while getting in to. Right now a small light portable step helps her a lot. Suggestions appreciated. Thank you.
I suggest you get a running board for your wife so she can easily get in and out of her car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suggest you get a running board for your wife so she can easily get in and out of her car.
Thanks for sugesstion DL175, will see how much one cost and decide from there. Porta plastic step works for now Now stowing full spare in cargo area. Door opens and closes with ease now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts