Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we prepared for a road trip my companion (I/we are to old for me to refer to her as "girlfriend") checked a books on tape CD out from the library to listen to as we drove the Interstates. Imagine her response when told that my brand new, top of the line RAV4 Hybrid Limited did not have a CD player! She really wanted to hear the CD and had been on the waiting list for it for more than a month. Result: We are taking her 2012 Prius v, which has a CD player. Really, Toyota?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes, the models with the 7" screen omit the CD player. For most this isn't a problem since it is the natural progression of technology. 8 tracks were replaced by audio cassettes. Audio cassettes were replaced by cd players. CD players are being replaced by digital media( bluetooth through phone, thumb drives, MP3 players).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too true--with emphasis on "too." So what does Toyota expect me/us to do, transfer the 6 CDs to our iPods, or just stop using the services still provided by our public libraries and other sources. And I won't go on to point out the effects of this change on song-writers, performers, etc. Really, Toyota?

·
Registered
423 Posts
We were a bit surprised also when we decided to buy our new hybrid limited. But that didn't stop us. We had traded in two cars that had CD players and we have a lot of CD's. We can use them at home. We are seniors and have an IPad but no IPhone. I am happy with the Sirius Radio which is what we were using 90% of the time anyway in our previous vehicles. It's called progress.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Too true--with emphasis on "too." So what does Toyota expect me/us to do, transfer the 6 CDs to our iPods, or just stop using the services still provided by our public libraries and other sources. And I won't go on to point out the effects of this change on song-writers, performers, etc. Really, Toyota?
Possibly a slight over-reaction there....
It may be inconvenient, but its pretty simple to rip a CD to MP3 and put it on a thumb drive. Or put it in your phone, etc. 6 discs takes about 15-20 min.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Possibly a slight over-reaction there....
It may be inconvenient, but its pretty simple to rip a CD to MP3 and put it on a thumb drive. Or put it in your phone, etc. 6 discs takes about 15-20 min.
Or just buy a $15 portable CD player and plug in to your AUX input.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good on Toyota. It's obsolete like the 8 track, cassette, VHS, Laser Disc, floppy drive, etc.

The all-new 2016 Mazda CX9 eliminated the CD player in all trims too.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Some things we just take for granted. It will take some time to adjust. I simply stream everything from my phone nowadays with Bluetooth.
I like the idea or having a portage CD player.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My wife's only reservation on the hybrid Limited was the lack of a CD player. When I explained that we could put all her music on a small thumb drive and she could see the entire list on the display, she decided that was acceptable. Of course I had to do all the work of ripping CDs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I literally takes 5min to rip a CD using freeware (CDEX) to a USB drive that can hold 100's of CD's worth of music, etc..

I don't blame any auto manufacturer from getting away from complicated expensive motorized music playback systems in favor of lower cost extremely reliable solid state playback systems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PROBLEM SOLVED (well, sort of solved). Thanks for the comments. Between the time I posted my last comment and logging back on I went to my local Radio Shack, purchased a Sony Walkman CD player and connection cord, plugged it into the RAV4 audio system, and tested it with some CD music. I works well--actually great for the price. We will be driving the RAV4! Re. transferring the content: I have enough s#*t to deal with--KISS (Keep It Simple, Sammy). The clerk did not know if all stores carry the Walkman, and said that when they get a shipment they sell out quickly. Mine was the last one. Is Toyota too far ahead of the curve on this one?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with you - Toyota designers "cheaped-out" by not including a CD player. By-the-way, the Entune system is lacking in many respects as confirmed by a recent Consumer Reports survey. CD's tend to sound better than bluetooth or other forms of music in my circumstance. Of course we can download to a memory stick or phone or music player, and we have done so, but why should we have to? C.D.'s are not yet in the same league with cassette tapes, 8-tracks, and some others...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I agree with you - Toyota designers "cheaped-out" by not including a CD player. By-the-way, the Entune system is lacking in many respects as confirmed by a recent Consumer Reports survey. CD's tend to sound better than bluetooth or other forms of music in my circumstance. Of course we can download to a memory stick or phone or music player, and we have done so, but why should we have to? C.D.'s are not yet in the same league with cassette tapes, 8-tracks, and some others...

I disagree. I'm in my early 40's and haven't bought a CD in well over 5 years. In fact, I don't think I even know a person who has bought a physical CD in 5 years.

I wouldn't say they cheaped out. I think it was a plea to the masses. The CD player was dropped in models with the 7" screen for simple size limitation. *Most* people(but not everyone) probably use media files more than CDs. And most people probably wanted a bigger screen. For those who don't the xle and le can still be had with a 6" screen and CD player as far as I know.

But I do understand. When I'm retirement age and all the cars are dropping media file support for whatever the next fandangled thing is that I won't know how to work, I'll be pissed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have not played a CD in at least 10 years. All of my music, long ago, has been transferred to my computer. I have around 4000 titles in my library. I make playlists of all kinds and play them on my home entertainment system direct from my computer. I have Low-Profile Flash Drives for both our cars (https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive--SDCZ33-064G-B35/dp/B00FJRS6QY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1466705341&sr=8-6&keywords=micro+flash+drive). The drive is about the size of my thumb nail, so it is short enough to stay plugged in all the time and not get bumped. All of my music is on these drives and accessible in many ways. In addition, when we want to listen to a book on a trip we download the book from the library and listen to it on the thumb drive. My CDs went the way of the buffalo and are long gone. In my opinion, Toyota is merely accommodating the technology that has been here for quite some time. By the way, I'm 72 and like the latest technology.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I'm almost 70yrs old, had a CD player in my 2006 V6 4.3, never ever used it, I use my phone for BT music, works better than any CD player we've ever used.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm using a CD slot mount onto my CD player slot to hold my phone/GPS unit. Just used CD player one time to see if it works. Music on USB thumb drive. Not young and love new gadgets. I can afford it and have time now.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have not played a CD in at least 10 years. All of my music, long ago, has been transferred to my computer. I have around 4000 titles in my library. I make playlists of all kinds and play them on my home entertainment system direct from my computer. I have Low-Profile Flash Drives for both our cars (https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive--SDCZ33-064G-B35/dp/B00FJRS6QY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1466705341&sr=8-6&keywords=micro+flash+drive). The drive is about the size of my thumb nail, so it is short enough to stay plugged in all the time and not get bumped. All of my music is on these drives and accessible in many ways. In addition, when we want to listen to a book on a trip we download the book from the library and listen to it on the thumb drive. My CDs went the way of the buffalo and are long gone. In my opinion, Toyota is merely accommodating the technology that has been here for quite some time. By the way, I'm 72 and like the latest technology.

Since we are on this topic...

Where and how do you guys get the music? Wherever I have researched. It is extremely expensive to download anything.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Since we are on this topic...

Where and how do you guys get the music? Wherever I have researched. It is extremely expensive to download anything.
We have a couple hundred CDs so no shortage of music we already own. I've probably only ripped 20-25 so far. There are websites that will extract music from YouTube videos. I suppose that's technically a copyright violation but I've only done it a few times so I'm not feeling too guilty. We decided to extend our Sirius subscription so we'll have that option during our summer road trip.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts