Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
Where and how do you guys get the music? Wherever I have researched. It is extremely expensive to download anything.

Get mine from Amazon with my prime membership, only download the free Classic Rock.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,078 Posts
My son used to borrow CD's from his friends (he has a LOT of friends) and rip them to external hard drives. Last time I checked he had about 10 drives chock full of MP3's. He set up Windows Media Player to automatically rip the CD when inserted. He would watch TV while inserting disc after disc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Solution for cd owners with smart phones:

1. Upload the CDs to iTunes on your computer.

2. Use "iTunes Match" to sync your library with your iPhone

3. If you have a droid, use iTunes Match with google play

4. You should be able to download the songs you own onto your phone without any sort of paid subscription. Or, you can just stream them for free as well, storing your entire library in the cloud.

This is a simplification of the process. It's not likely the easiest fix for people who aren't as tech savvy as others, but it's a good fix.

On another note, you can download/stream books on tape from audible (now owned by Amazon) on your phone. The selection is undoubtedly better than what you'll find on CD.

Digital download sales eclipsed CDs in 2004, which is in my understanding the first year soundscan tracked that data.

If you're STILL using and buying CDs, not only are you in the minority today, but you have been for over a decade. You can't expect a company trying to turn a profit, on a relatively budget model for the masses, to try to appeal to the minority when faced with an A vs B decision, with one option appealing to most people and the other to a select few.

Toyota absolutely did not jump the gun here. They made a calculated decision based on logic and reasoning, and it was the right one.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,078 Posts
My public library has a nice collection of music CD's. My brother-in-law gave me the idea of taking my laptop to the library, and ripping their CD's while surfing the net on their wi-fi. Although some of their collection are in locked jewel cases, so I had to take them up to the counter and check them out with my library card. Then I ripped them and gave them back. Nobody said anything, or seemed to care.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Easy supplies of music on CD

6-27-16
You don't have to carry CD's in your car.

On the premium Entune in the Hybrid Limited, there are two apps for streaming music: Pandora or iHeartRadio. Download the apps to your smartphone and stream from the phone.

Using our smartphone, we subscribed to Spotify, installed the app on our phone and now select the music we wish to hear on the RAV4 speakers from our smartphone. Easy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Or Apple Music...

I have to say, using my iPhone with Apple Music (requires subscription) and Siri Eyes-Free is the single best in-car music experience I've ever had.

You literally just have to either hold down the steering wheel phone button and say "play ____ by ____" and it just plays for you. You can play entire albums by specifying the album, or just songs. You can also play genres and playlists.

Because of this feature, I'd probably get rid of a spotify subscription in lieu of Apple Music, and would probably get rid of Android for iPhone. It's really a killer feature.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like books on CD when I travel. I'm thinking I will have to buy a CD player since the library still lends books on CD.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts