Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I've seen the pics & videos showing the LCD in the Instrument panlel have an outside Temperature reading. Is this LCD readout available on all trims?

My other question is if it does come with the LCD readout, does this also have a built in compass, or do you have to get the auto-dimming mirror?

Maybe Flyingn can anwer that...

Thanks & keep on RAVing :)

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
The LCD below the gauge cluster only displays outside temperature. Currently (in the US), the only way to get a digital compass is by upgrading to the Gentex autodimming rear view mirror with compass and temp gauge (or the even higher end unit with Homelink remote functions -- usually a dealer option, but can be much cheaper to buy and install yourself if you have the know-how).

E

·
0 Posts
Just came back from the dealership. Went there for mud guards and dimming mirror installed. Mud guards were installed and the dimming mirror was not. Seems like they did not have the schematic to install the mirror. Was told it was easy to install in the 05's but not the 06's. They have to contact the factory to get wiring instructions. Can you believe it! By the way, the mud guards were $120 installed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'd think that Japan, which supposedly is more advanced in electronics, wouldn't be so stingy with such items (like a compass, Premium Audio...) ... oh well...

I don't think I'll ever go back to the dealership for repairs or add-ons, unless it's covered by warranty.... You want to show your loyalty by doing it, but they return the compliment by charging you 3x more, and sometimes they can't even do it at all... The last time I went there for the "free" 30K inspection, but ended up paying almost $300 for flushing the transmission & differential.... could've saved at least $100 if I did it elsewhere, not to mention if did some of the stuff myself.... But I've learned my lesson well....

So doesanyone know if that LCD readout available on all trims?

E

·
0 Posts
The LCD with Outside temp and odometer are standard on all models. Also, Toyota wanted $135 for a transmission flush and so did the other places like Jiffy Lube. I feel Toyota would be more able to do the job right. I don't feel that the quick lube places that pay close to minimum wage really care what they are doing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, etop, that makes me feel better.... I guess your dealer doesn't charge as much... I don't think there is really that much skill involved in flushing the transmission, we're just paying for the lifter & the "special-flushing-machine" (a.k.a. air compressor...), so even Jiffy Lube place could do it, as long as you're sure they put the correct grade of Fluid.... but of course peace-of-mind is another thing....

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Yes, the temp readout is standard on all models..

Phourwheel said:
I've seen the pics & videos showing the LCD in the Instrument panlel have an outside Temperature reading. Is this LCD readout available on all trims?

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
etop said:
Just came back from the dealership. Went there for mud guards and dimming mirror installed. Mud guards were installed and the dimming mirror was not. Seems like they did not have the schematic to install the mirror. Was told it was easy to install in the 05's but not the 06's. They have to contact the factory to get wiring instructions. Can you believe it! By the way, the mud guards were $120 installed.
That doesn't make much sense about needing schematics, unless they have to hook it up a specific "Toyota Certified method"... because all the autodimming mirror needs is a 12V accessory line (which can be tapped off the moonroof power -- note that it's important that the power circuit is keyed to the ignition or the mirror will drain your battery) and a ground. It only needs more wiring if it has an externally wired temperature sensor or the Homelink buttons.

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
flyingn said:
ourside temps is already displayed on the speedo. What a waste of $$ that mirror is!!
Most cars don't come with a outside temperature display, but I suppose you could get one with just the digital compass, if they offer it.

The two primary OEM manufacturers for autodimming mirrors are Gentex and MagnaDonnelly -- almost all the other brands offered out there are actually made by one of these guys.

E

·
0 Posts
I agree, but remember, the dimming mirror from Toyota has a compass not a temp readout. Maybe that is where the problem is.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I miss the HomeLink garage door opener that my '02 Camry XLE has. Seeesh, autodimming mirror w/ compass and HomeLink was over $400 - No Thanks!!! I'll keep the separate opener in the car and buy a $2 compass at PepBoys, I have noone to impress...

E

·
0 Posts
Seems like we are a generation apart. Since being retired, I travel the country and drive through all kinds of scenic countyyside as well a the big cities. The big cities and winding country roads can easily be confusing as to which direction you are heading. For me, a compass is a great convience as well as the GPS. I don't use it to impress.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Auto Dimming Mirrors w/HomeLink.

I'm working with a supplier now to purchase these mirrors (auto dimming w/HomeLink) for $190 shipped. They will allow you to order ones with Compass/Temperature Dual Display or other features also.

They say it is an easy install. I should have one in my hands in a few days, but these are OEM mirrors just like you would get from the factory/dealer - but at a reduced price...

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
etop said:
I agree, but remember, the dimming mirror from Toyota has a compass not a temp readout. Maybe that is where the problem is.
The digital compass is built into the mirror housing or the mounting module that attaches to the windshield. Like I said, the only thing a compass mirror requires is 12V power and ground wires. The temperature probe requires more wiring, sending a pair of copper out to a sensor that's usually mounted behind the front bumper.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I negotiated a price for these mirrors from an on-line vendor. These are the same OEM mirrors you would purchase from the dealership.

Here is the prices for the mirrors:

Description/Part Number/Price ($US)

Mirror w/NVS feature GTX hrns/50-GENK2/$64.00

NVS w/Map Lamps GTX hrns/50-GENK3/$84.00

NVS Comp Only w/ GTX Hrns/50-GENK5/$140.00

NVS Comp/Temp Mirror/50-GENK20/$165.00

NVS Comp/Temp w/ Map lights/50-GENK30/$195.00

NVS Mirror w/ Homelink/50-GENK40/$179.00

NVS Mirror w/ Hmlk, Mood Lts./50-GENK42/$185.00

NVS w/Comp & Homelink/50-GENK45/$195.00

NVS Comp/Temp w/Hmlk/50-GENK50/$265.00

NVS Comp/Temp w/Map Lts./50-GENK60/$295.00

Link to see the mirrors. Shipping is around $13 (est). Includes all items to install in your vehicle.

I orderd one (50-GENK40) and it should be here in the next couple of days. I'm holding a group buy on another site (for my car), so I might be able to get the prices down (maybe another $5/mirror).

I'll let you all know how it looks...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts