Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I miss the electronic compass I had in my 4Runner. Anybody know of any good aftermarket electronic (or otherwise) compasses? I've seen a few on the net but I have no idea how good or bad they are.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Harold said:
The auto dimming mirror has an electronic compass built in and is available as an option from your dealer. If you want to install it yourself or if you want homelink as well, Johnny has arranged a great deal for group members. http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2524
Thanks for the suggestion and the link. Reading through the thread I'm still not 100% sure how easy or difficult it is to install. Is this something pretty much anybody can do? They were talking about taking off the console on the ceiling and tapping into the sunroof wiring - not sure if that's something your everyday Joe can do. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
karrock said:
Wayfinder makes some nice little digital compass units if you don't want to go for one built into the electrochromic mirror...

Thanks for the link. These units do look interesting and wireless sure sounds tempting. Have you had any experience with them?

·
Registered
130 Posts
bbates said:
Is this something pretty much anybody can do? They were talking about taking off the console on the ceiling and tapping into the sunroof wiring - not sure if that's something your everyday Joe can do. What are your thoughts?
I found it very easy to install the mirror but I am used to working on cars. If the instructions look intimidating, it may be a bit much for you. A big part of any job is having the right tools. The only unusual tool the install requires is a T-20 bit and a torque screwdriver which are recommended for the mirror installation. I happen to have these but I doubt if most dealers even have a torque screwdriver and you don't really need it if you have a regular T-20 screwdriver and a feel for how tight is tight enough.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, that is exactly what I did. I followed Johnny's instructions with the exception of how I spliced into the ground wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts