Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm about to buy a 2001 Rav4L, AWD for my daughter as a first car. I'ts a 1 owner creampuff, perfect carfax etc. Only concern is 165K miles.

Wanted to get opinions if that is too much? She will only drive about 7K miles per year, so I'm hoping it can last through 4 yrs of college and not implode (I've seen posts with units over 300K, so this should be doable, right?). I know it is always a crap shoot at that mileage / age, but looking for encouragement either way.

Thanks and looking forward to learning from the community.

John

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Where is it located? In snow country undercarriage rust/rot is much more concerning than mileage.
I help a lot of friends buy used cars and my engine/transmission test is very simple. From a dead stop floor the gas pedal and hold it there until you reach 70-75 mph. Any hesitation, slippage or rough shifts are don't-buy indications. Also a short (few feet) full throttle takeoff on dirt or grass should leave four marks and be jackrabbit style.

·
Registered
272 Posts
at 165K it is barely broken in
but being AWD, if she uses it for transporting kegs to field parties or borrows it to her boyfriend it'll be lucky to make it to her junior year

·
Registered
43 Posts
Possible reconsideration

I feel that you should look at the 1st generation RAV4's (1996-2000, but go for the 98-00 years for the best results).
If you do simple maintenance and get a low mileage RAV, (Mine has 66K miles).
I would be happy to tell you the pros+ cons of the 1st gen models, and what to look out for.
Thanks,
rav4 1

·
Registered
807 Posts
Go to toyota.com/owners (create a free account and plug in the vin#) This will tell you all dealer service it has received. Hopefully there is an ECM replacement or transmission replacement for a known issue in the 01-03 vehicles. My 03 had both services done. Check for smoothness of shifting too regardless. My engine has had no major problems in my 6 years of ownership. This was from 59k to 142k miles. If it were me, I'd get it and change oil/spark plugs and have the battery tested. It's a very solid vehicle. As always, check for rust underneath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts