Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Completely 'plug-&-Play' interior LED lighting for 2021 R4P XSE pp?

1492 Views 47 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  AutoMatters
First, I am sure that this subject has been thoroughly discussed. Can somebody point me to the best answers?

I have a red 2021 RAV4 prime XSE with the Premium Package. I just checked out my neighbor's new 2023 RAV4 Prime XSE (without the Premium Package). It has wonderful, bright LED interior lighting. It makes my non-LED interior lighting look like it is from incandescent bulbs that are about to burn out.

Is it possible for me to easily replace those bulbs and not have to change out anything else? Will somebody point me in the right direction for the kit (preferably from Toyota, even if it is more expensive than aftermarket), and for detailed installation instructions so that I will not break anything? What I would like to change out are all of the overhead lights and the rear cargo area light. My neighbor's 2923 does not have a switch on the rear cargo area light's cover, but my 2021 does. Can I just change easily to an LED bulb, but keep the cover with its switch?

Second, and I assume that I know the answer to this already, my neighbor's 2023 RAV4 Prime XSE (non-PP) has lit door panel switched (for the windows, locks, etc.), and also for her overhead console's switches. Is it possible to easily replace my non-lit door panel switches and also the overhead console switched with lit switched, simply with a plug-and-play kit (ideally from Toyota) and not having to change any wiring? The last time I read about this subject, someone had taken apart their overhead console and door panel, only to discover that the wiring harness was different from what was needed. I do not want to mess with something like that. Instead, as a workaround, I modified someone else's idea and put a small LED puck light-and-switch combo on a ledge at the leading edge of my 2021's cupholder (that ledge is no longer there on the 2023 cup holder), pointed it up and surrounded it with a rigid piece of black heat shrink tubing (it fits over the LED puck light perfectly). All I have to do is put my finger inside that tubing and press down to turn on the light. That lights up the whole upper panel quite nicely without blinding me, and the battery is replaceable. Still, I would prefer lit switches. Can anyone help me with that?

Thank you.

Jan
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
2,245 Posts
First, I am sure that this subject has been thoroughly discussed. Can somebody point me to the best answers?

I have a red 2021 RAV4 prime XSE with the Premium Package. I just checked out my neighbor's new 2023 RAV4 Prime XSE (without the Premium Package). It has wonderful, bright LED interior lighting. It makes my non-LED interior lighting look like it is from incandescent bulbs that are about to burn out.

Is it possible for me to easily replace those bulbs and not have to change out anything else? Will somebody point me in the right direction for the kit (preferably from Toyota, even if it is more expensive than aftermarket), and for detailed installation instructions so that I will not break anything? What I would like to change out are all of the overhead lights and the rear cargo area light. My neighbor's 2923 does not have a switch on the rear cargo area light's cover, but my 2021 does. Can I just change easily to an LED bulb, but keep the cover with its switch?

Second, and I assume that I know the answer to this already, my neighbor's 2023 RAV4 Prime XSE (non-PP) has lit door panel switched (for the windows, locks, etc.), and also for her overhead console's switches. Is it possible to easily replace my non-lit door panel switches and also the overhead console switched with lit switched, simply with a plug-and-play kit (ideally from Toyota) and not having to change any wiring? The last time I read about this subject, someone had taken apart their overhead console and door panel, only to discover that the wiring harness was different from what was needed. I do not want to mess with something like that. Instead, as a workaround, I modified someone else's idea and put a small LED puck light-and-switch combo on a ledge at the leading edge of my 2021's cupholder (that ledge is no longer there on the 2023 cup holder), pointed it up and surrounded it with a rigid piece of black heat shrink tubing (it fits over the LED puck light perfectly). All I have to do is put my finger inside that tubing and press down to turn on the light. That lights up the whole upper panel quite nicely without blinding me, and the battery is replaceable. Still, I would prefer lit switches. Can anyone help me with that?

Thank you.

Jan
I got these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NHNMF9P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Easy as changing a light bulb.

Yes, you can replace all the switches except the overhead console with lighted ones. Lots of instructions on this forum. Start with the window switches: Free Shipping Lighted LED Power Single Window Switch Blue Color For Toyota RAV4 RAV 4 2019 2020 2021 2022 LHD

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Do you know if Toyota sells OEM lighted driver's-side door window switches that will fit my 2021 RAV4 Prime XSE with the Premium Package. Lit switches are now standard equipment.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NHNMF9P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Easy as changing a light bulb.

Yes, you can replace all the switches except the overhead console with lighted ones. Lots of instructions on this forum. Start with the window switches: Free Shipping Lighted LED Power Single Window Switch Blue Color For Toyota RAV4 RAV 4 2019 2020 2021 2022 LHD
Also, do you know if Toyota sells LED light bulbs to replace the incandescent bulbs? I've read that some people have not had a great experience with the quality (varies significantly by manufacturer) and longevity (life) of some aftermarket LEDs.

· Registered
179 Posts
I have a 21 R4P, my wife has a 22 R4P with Toyota's LED interior lights. I installed Lasfit's interior light package with my 21. 2019-2021 Toyota RAV4 LED Fog Light Exterior Interior Bulbs Plug and Play
They are far brighter than the Toyota ones in the 22. I wish I could change the 22's dome and cargo lights to Lasfit's but it would be a difficult or expensive job. I was going to order the cargo lights that replaced the two access panels on the tailgate, but the lasfit bulb in the original cargo lamp holder is bright enough to make the extra bulbs unnecessary. Might be worthwhile in the dimmer 22, but a pain to run the wiring. There are several sources to replace the window switch, an easy, worthwhile change too. I did only the drivers side. Passengers can take the time to find the switch in the dark, not so the driver. The overhead is a challenge to change. I added glow in the dark stickers to find the drivers reading lamp and the sunroof switches. I'd skip worrying about useing genuine Toyota bulbs, the aftermarket is as good or better. I didn't bother changing the visor mirror activated bulbs, and I used one of the Lasfit kit ones in my Miata, really brightened up it's interior. I'm happy with Lasfit, other bulbs like on Amazon may be as good, but with my Lasfit experience I'd pay the bit extra for a product that works well. I will probably put their back up bulbs in too. Some day. Should have done that when I had the rear apart running the trailer light kit. I'm also thinking of adding long distance driving lights, not fog lamps: SS3 LED Fog Light Kit for 2016-2023 Toyota RAV4. The $380 ones, would need fog lamp mounting surrounds and wiring stuff too. Up close the factory lighting meets my need, I'd like more for back road, way down the road lighting to pick up the rodents with antlers sooner, wired together with the high beams. I added long range driving lamps to several of my last cars, and miss the far away lighting power. Eventually, maybe.
Vehicle Personal luxury car Auto part Family car Fixture

Stickers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJT8RC18?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have a 21 R4P, my wife has a 22 R4P with Toyota's LED interior lights. I installed Lasfit's interior light package with my 21. 2019-2021 Toyota RAV4 LED Fog Light Exterior Interior Bulbs Plug and Play
They are far brighter than the Toyota ones in the 22. I wish I could change the 22's dome and cargo lights to Lasfit's but it would be a difficult or expensive job. I was going to order the cargo lights that replaced the two access panels on the tailgate, but the lasfit bulb in the original cargo lamp holder is bright enough to make the extra bulbs unnecessary. Might be worthwhile in the dimmer 22, but a pain to run the wiring. There are several sources to replace the window switch, an easy, worthwhile change too. I did only the drivers side. Passengers can take the time to find the switch in the dark, not so the driver. The overhead is a challenge to change. I added glow in the dark stickers to find the drivers reading lamp and the sunroof switches. I'd skip worrying about useing genuine Toyota bulbs, the aftermarket is as good or better. I didn't bother changing the visor mirror activated bulbs, and I used one of the Lasfit kit ones in my Miata, really brightened up it's interior. I'm happy with Lasfit, other bulbs like on Amazon may be as good, but with my Lasfit experience I'd pay the bit extra for a product that works well. I will probably put their back up bulbs in too. Some day. Should have done that when I had the rear apart running the trailer light kit. I'm also thinking of adding long distance driving lights, not fog lamps: SS3 LED Fog Light Kit for 2016-2023 Toyota RAV4. The $380 ones, would need fog lamp mounting surrounds and wiring stuff too. Up close the factory lighting meets my need, I'd like more for back road, way down the road lighting to pick up the rodents with antlers sooner, wired together with the high beams. I added long range driving lamps to several of my last cars, and miss the far away lighting power. Eventually, maybe.
View attachment 191575
Stickers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJT8RC18?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
They are far brighter than the Toyota ones in the 22. I wish I could change the 22's dome and cargo lights to Lasfit's
View attachment 191575
but it would be a difficult or expensive job. I was going to order the cargo lights that replaced the two access panels on the tailgate, but the lasfit bulb in the original cargo lamp holder is bright enough to make the extra bulbs unnecessary. Might be worthwhile in the dimmer 22, but a pain to run the wiring. There are several sources to replace the window switch, an easy, worthwhile change too. I did only the drivers side. Passengers can take the time to find the switch in the dark, not so the driver. The overhead is a challenge to change. I added glow in the dark stickers to find the drivers reading lamp and the sunroof switches. I'd skip worrying about useing genuine Toyota bulbs, the aftermarket is as good or better. I didn't bother changing the visor mirror activated bulbs, and I used one of the Lasfit kit ones in my Miata, really brightened up its interior. I'm happy with Lasfit, other bulbs like on Amazon may be as good, but with my Lasfit experience I'd pay the bit extra for a product that works well. I will probably put their back up bulbs in too. Some day. Should have done that when I had the rear apart running the trailer light kit. I'm also thinking of adding long distance driving lights, not fog lamps: SS3 LED Fog Light Kit for 2016-2023 Toyota RAV4. The $380 ones, would need fog lamp mounting surrounds and wiring stuff too. Up close the factory lighting meets my need, I'd like more for back road, way down the road lighting to pick up the rodents with antlers sooner, wired together with the high beams. I added long range driving lamps to several of my last cars, and miss the far away lighting power. Eventually, maybe.
View attachment 191575
View attachment 191575
Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I searched various alternative brands of LEDs on Amazon and concluded that the LASFIT LEDs provide the best quality. However, a message keeps coming up saying that the LASFIT T-10 LEDs are not correct for the 2021 RAV4 Prime XSE. I don't think this message is correct, but I do not want to risk frying my electrical system/wiring harness. Which LASFIT part numbers (for the two different types of LEDs) did you use on your 2021 RAV4 Prime (PP?) for the map lights, dome lights (front and center of vehicle), cargo area light and visor lights (even though you did not install the visor lights)? Does Amazon still stock those? If so, please send me links so that I will know what to order. Are any of these LEDs inexplicably dim — a comment that someone else said about his dome light?

In a previous email, you sent me links for the lit door switches and wiring harness adapters. My main concern about those is regarding the quality of the wiring harness adapter cables. Are they correctly engineered and executed, so that they will not potentially fry my electrical system over time?

FYI, my other vehicle is also a Miata (my fourth): 2019 30th Anniversary Edition (Racing Orange) — soft top, manual transmission, less than 7,000 miles (I think). I am a long-time member of the San Diego Miata Club and, before COVID, I used to go on long-distance club runs — including trips, partially using Route 66, to the Grand Canyon and Texas Motor Speedway. Since COVID I've mostly just been doing single day runs. I autocrossed with the SCCA and, before that, with the CASC in Canada, for decades, until a few years ago.
Jan

· Registered
2,245 Posts
Thank you. Do you know if Toyota sells OEM lighted driver's-side door window switches that will fit my 2021 RAV4 Prime XSE with the Premium Package. Lit switches are now standard equipment.
For the drivers side door window switches, I used 84040-06070. Plug and play.

There have been some wiring changes between the '21 RAV4 and the later years with lighted switches, thus switches for the later years may not fit in earlier years. I know that is especially true for the passenger door switches.

The CarTrimHome lighted switches are of excellent quality. I have not had any problems with them and they cost much less than Toyota OEM switches.

For the drivers side outside mirror switch, I used 84872-30070. It is plug and play, but it also has a switch for folding outside mirrors which you can ignore since the RAV4 does not come with outside folding mirrors.

· Registered
2,245 Posts
Also, do you know if Toyota sells LED light bulbs to replace the incandescent bulbs? I've read that some people have not had a great experience with the quality (varies significantly by manufacturer) and longevity (life) of some aftermarket LEDs.
There is no Toyota OEM light bulb kit to replace the incandescent interior light bulbs. I have used the Amazon bulbs, I cited above in the last four cars I have bought new, and never had a single problem. Just keep in mind that the LED bulbs are polarity sensitive, so if at first they don't work, reverse them in the socket.

· Registered
2,245 Posts
Do these dim property? The ones I have seen flicker when car does that dim out routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The LED replacement bulbs I have used have never flickered. They have dimmed smoothly. Keep in mind that the dimming function is performed by the Main Body ECU, and there are other OEM interior lights that come on the RAV4 that are LEDs, such as the ambient lights (footwell lights, tray lights, and center cargo cup holder lights).

· Registered
2,245 Posts
In a previous email, you sent me links for the lit door switches and wiring harness adapters. My main concern about those is regarding the quality of the wiring harness adapter cables. Are they correctly engineered and executed, so that they will not potentially fry my electrical system over time?
The CarTrimHome wring are excellent quality. I have never had a problem with them. I have close to a dozen CarTrimHome electrical accessories for my RAV4 and nary a problem. Some are a bit difficult to install due to the routing through the body/doors, but the connectors are great.

· Registered
179 Posts
Thank you very much for the detailed reply. I searched various alternative brands of LEDs on Amazon and concluded that the LASFIT LEDs provide the best quality. However, a message keeps coming up saying that the LASFIT T-10 LEDs are not correct for the 2021 RAV4 Prime XSE. I don't think this message is correct, but I do not want to risk frying my electrical system/wiring harness. Which LASFIT part numbers (for the two different types of LEDs) did you use on your 2021 RAV4 Prime (PP?) for the map lights, dome lights (front and center of vehicle), cargo area light and visor lights (even though you did not install the visor lights)? Does Amazon still stock those? If so, please send me links so that I will know what to order. Are any of these LEDs inexplicably dim — a comment that someone else said about his dome light?

FYI, my other vehicle is also a Miata (my fourth): 2019 30th Anniversary Edition (Racing Orange) — soft top, manual transmission, less than 7,000 miles (I think). I am a long-time member of the San Diego Miata Club and, before COVID, I used to go on long-distance club runs — including trips, partially using Route 66, to the Grand Canyon and Texas Motor Speedway. Since COVID I've mostly just been doing single day runs. I autocrossed with the SCCA and, before that, with the CASC in Canada, for decades, until a few years ago.
Jan
I ordered from the Lasfit web site, free shiping. They had a package for the interior lights using these bulbs currently $42, including 6 T10 and 2 28 mm dome lights, and all worked perfectly, including the T10's. They are all very bright. Amazon's fitment guide is often incorrect. The door window switch came from a low price web site, it worked perfectly.
From Lasfit web site:
Dome Light: 28MM/ DE3021 bulb size|bright white 6000K. Festoon bulbs.
Using high power 3030 SMD LED chips, extremely 6000K crips white light. That's enough to light up your car. Build-in Canbus decoder. Fit perfectly in the same light housing as your original incandescent bulbs, for plug and play installation. The bulb body is slim, sleek, and incredibly compact to stay out of the way when plugged in.

Map/ Stepwell/ Trunk/ Vanity Mirror Light: T10/ 194/ 168 bulb size|1200LM/set, 6000K bright white light.
Using high power 3030 SMD LED chips on each bulb. Canbus pass by error check for 2019-2021 Toyota RAV4.

I finally acknowledged that a high powered motorcycle was getting close to exceeding my aging capabilities, so I switched to a Miata. A dozen years ago, I bought a nearly new 3 pedal NC with the power retractable hard top.
Vehicle Tire Wheel Aircraft Road surface

· Registered
2021 Prime XSE PP
1,298 Posts
The LED replacement bulbs I have used have never flickered. They have dimmed smoothly. Keep in mind that the dimming function is performed by the Main Body ECU, and there are other OEM interior lights that come on the RAV4 that are LEDs, such as the ambient lights (footwell lights, tray lights, and center cargo cup holder lights).
I believe the dimming is done by PWM duty cycle modulation. I suppose the LEDs I have seen, did not play well with PWM. It literally plays the PWM on/off cycles as it dimmed down. LOL.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered from the Lasfit web site, free shiping. They had a package for the interior lights using these bulbs currently $42, including 6 T10 and 2 28 mm dome lights, and all worked perfectly, including the T10's. They are all very bright. Amazon's fitment guide is often incorrect. The door window switch came from a low price web site, it worked perfectly.
From Lasfit web site:
Using high power 3030 SMD LED chips, extremely 6000K crips white light. That's enough to light up your car. Build-in Canbus decoder. Fit perfectly in the same light housing as your original incandescent bulbs, for plug and play installation. The bulb body is slim, sleek, and incredibly compact to stay out of the way when plugged in.

Map/ Stepwell/ Trunk/ Vanity Mirror Light: T10/ 194/ 168 bulb size|1200LM/set, 6000K bright white light.
Using high power 3030 SMD LED chips on each bulb. Canbus pass by error check for 2019-2021 Toyota RAV4.

I finally acknowledged that a high powered motorcycle was getting close to exceeding my aging capabilities, so I switched to a Miata. A dozen years ago, I bought a nearly new 3 pedal NC with the power retractable hard top.
View attachment 191584

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the very detailed parts list. I may do a review on this for my "AutoMatters & More" column. That's ambitious of you to tow such a long trailer with your Miata. My NC had more usable room than my ND.
Jan

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From Lasfit web site:

View attachment 191584
Are you in San Diego, by any chance?
Here is my Miata. I took this photo after participating in a car show in Embarcadero Park with the San Diego Miata Club.
Jan
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From Lasfit web site:

View attachment 191584
This was my previous Miata.
Jan
Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Automotive lighting

· Registered
179 Posts
Are you in San Diego, by any chance?
Jan
I'd love San Diego weather. No, coastal Delaware or southern PA. Saw snow flakes this morning. There are white fluffy things that fall from the sky. Miata's on summer performance tires don't like that. The trailer, boat, and dolly probably doesn't weigh much more than 200 lbs. It looks a bit out of place, but I've towed my 3 person supercharged waverunner a few blocks to the gas station if my wife has the wagon somewhere. Much easier to see at the ramp with an open tailgate and the rear seat stowed. And less complicated backing a trailer with an SE model.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Water

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd love San Diego weather. No, coastal Delaware or southern PA. Saw snow flakes this morning. There are white fluffy things that fall from the sky. Miata's on summer performance tires don't like that. The trailer, boat, and dolly probably doesn't weigh much more than 200 lbs. It looks a bit out of place, but I've towed my 3 person supercharged waverunner a few blocks to the gas station if my wife has the wagon somewhere. Much easier to see at the ramp with an open tailgate and the rear seat stowed. And less complicated backing a trailer with an SE model.
View attachment 191636
Great picture!
You, your wife and your RAV4 would fit in perfectly in San Diego on a Costco run!
Jan
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Food Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Trunk

1 - 20 of 48 Posts