Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace my front coils/struts.
Not liking the idea of compressing my own coils.
What would be a fair price to pay to have it done?

·
Registered
406 Posts
It's not hard as long as you have decent spring compressors. A good tip is to loosen the top nut before removing them. Loosen slightly only. Also if you're worried, cover the spring in an old rag or sheet before undoing the top nut.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It's not hard as long as you have decent spring compressors. A good tip is to loosen the top nut before removing them. Loosen slightly only. Also if you're worried, cover the spring in an old rag or sheet before undoing the top nut.
I respectfully disagree. I had the clam shell compressor and the stick type and didn't feel safe doing them on my 2004 RAV4. I try them both, hence took the struts to a garage as I posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your input.
I will update the thread on what I choose to do with strut and coil..
I ordered the Strut and mount kit,coil spring, and coil spring seat.
I didn't realize that only 1 seat was included when I ordered it, so coil spring seat #2 is on its way.
I hope that's everything I need to do to get this Rav4 up and going.
when the coil came off the strut , my power steering wasn't working properly. Do you think that is do to the strut/coil failure?
I sure hope so.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Well, I did my own. It is a PITA but cost me just the cost of the spring compressors and, of course, new parts. The 4.1 have a front spring that doesn't have as many coils as the older models making it harder to compress. I found that using TWO compressor sets (i.e., 4 compressing units) made the job easier. You can rent those for a few bucks at the auto supply store. There are things to be aware of: there is a LOT of stored energy in a compressed spring and you have to be VERY careful when you compress them; then put them somewhere when you are doing other things in case they come undone (ain't going to happen). You need maybe 3 rubber pieces: The bumper that goes on the shaft; the spring seat that goes on the bottom; the dust cover that goes on top and is also a spring seat. The top of the cylinder shaft is keyed to go into a slot in the top cap; you have to make sure that it is set in that slot and stays in place. Use the SEARCH feature of this forum for other ideas and hints....

·
Registered
189 Posts
dont do it, just bring them all in into a repair shop. safer!

how many times you will do this in the life of your Ravvy? 2x, 3x?

:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered everything I could from Rockauto, but I cant seem to find lower spring seat rubber rings anywhere in my order.
I

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
purchased..
Struts & Strut mount kit 207.00
MOOG coil springs 60.01
Coil spring seats 53.53

Do I still need to get the lower rubber spring seats,?
Not able to locate them on rockauto...

·
Registered
149 Posts
would they not come as part of the kit? or maybe somebody else on here is familiar with the setup and they are not required?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If you talking about the upper and lower spring rubber insulator , they are available but expensive. Most people use the old ones. I think they cost $12 to $15 apiece times 4. Amazon should have them.
I was gonna buy them along with new springs but i used the old springs and insulators.

I did my struts this summer and my 2004 RAV4 died on Good Friday. Sold it and advertised the transmission was bad. I don't see any 4.1 RAV4 on the road and it's rare to see a 4.2 RAV4 in Western New York.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amazon,. trying it but no luck. they have lower spring rubber insulators, but not compatible with 1998.

Why is this so hard to locate? Crazy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts