Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a timing belt done and tune up on my 98 RAV4 after it left me stranded in the rural area of Yamhill County, OR on a hot day. She did well though leading up to this issue, 63,000 miles in a 12 month period is pretty good I would say.

I noticed a slight whirr or whine coming from the block. Dropped the alternator thinking that was the issue but it turned clean. The AC compressor felt just slightly metallic, but not by much. The AC hasn't worked in awhile, the system was exposed to atmosphere about a year ago so I had what was left pulled by a shop with the intention of servicing it.

That being said, since the system is already exposed and empty, mechanically how difficult would it be for me to replace the compressor? I'm on a pretty tight budget lately and would like to save some money and do this myself.

The noise comes even when the AC is off so I would assume its the bearing beginning to give way. I was driving my Jeep but the starter died so I figured I would just swap back to the Toyota until the rain stops and hope it doesn't grenade on me until I replace the compressor.

Looking for input or any DIY threads since I haven't been able to locate any.

·
Registered
158 Posts
to install the ac compressor properly, it is more involved than you would think. If you arent worried about the ac, try to see if you can get a belt for a non-ac engine...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've attempted to locate a bypass pulley or just a bypass belt in general and I haven't been able to locate anything. It would seem that they did not have that as an option for this RAV generation.

Unless someone knows something I don't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts