Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So all u with your thoughts tell me what is going on here. I have 2013 fwd rav4. I just noticed what I think might be rust going on under the hinges that lift the liftgate in the back. Maybe its not rust? If it is rust and only 24k on car. Do I take it to dealer and ask if its covered under warranty? Maybe its sealeant. I dont know that is why I am asking. Has anyone else with at least a 2yr old rav have the same problem? You can barley see it but look toward botton of hinge.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ok, So all u with your thoughts tell me what is going on here. I have 2013 fwd rav4. I just noticed what I think might be rust going on under the hinges that lift the liftgate in the back. Maybe its not rust? If it is rust and only 24k on car. Do I take it to dealer and ask if its covered under warranty? Maybe its sealeant. I dont know that is why I am asking. Has anyone else with at least a 2yr old rav have the same problem? You can barley see it but look toward botton of hinge.

The rust is coming from the bolt or the bracket. It's only on the surface of the paint, and will polish off easily. You could just polish the rust off the paint, wax the whole area, and keep it waxed. Then apply a little WD-40 behind the bracket so it will penetrate behind the bracket, and bolt threads. This should prevent further rust.

OR:
If it were mine, I would loosen/remove the bracket, and polish the surface rust off the paint with rubbing/polishing compound. Then I would check the back of the bracket for rust, repaint if necessary, and reinstall the bracket with silicone sealant applied to back of the bracket.

The area must be constantly flooded with water from rain, and possibly salt in winter, and can't dry out easily. Keeping the inner lid surfaces waxed will go a long way in keeping it in good condition.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Still under warranty? Bring it in, get it documented and get it fixed - well, at least document it with Toyota.

Reactions: manhog

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still under warranty? Bring it in, get it documented and get it fixed - well, at least document it with Toyota.
Yes that is what I a going to do. My dealer is a PIA! So I cannot wait to hear what they say about this. It's still under warranty. I believe that they should be the ones to fix it not me. Am I correct about this? Do you think this will be their famous line of this is a one time fix? But should this be happening already.

Has anyone else had this problem? appreciated

·
Registered
264 Posts
You live in Pa and expect to see no rust on a 2 yr old car? Dream on. I lived in northwestern Pa for 48 years and rust is one of the joys of living there. Any 2 yr old car will have rust somewhere including odd places you'd never expect. Don't waste the dealer's time, pull the bolt, polish the rust off the paint, put some grease on the bolt and forget about it. Do the other side and sleep well. Part of responsible ownership. Whatever you do don't look underneath.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You live in Pa and expect to see no rust on a 2 yr old car? Dream on. I lived in northwestern Pa for 48 years and rust is one of the joys of living there. Any 2 yr old car will have rust somewhere including odd places you'd never expect. Don't waste the dealer's time, pull the bolt, polish the rust off the paint, put some grease on the bolt and forget about it. Do the other side and sleep well. Part of responsible ownership. Whatever you do don't look underneath.
I know what u are saying. But my honda after two years did not rust out. Wait! Yes underneath it was rusty. But we are talking 2015. We are talking toyota. The god like car company to all the toyota fanboys out there so they like to say.
I only had the car for a 16 months. In todays age I like to think that parts are or should last longer than two years. And on my moms honda I see no visible rust either and its 7yrs old. And I am sure there is rust under her car too. I am seeing no rust on places where you should see it. OF course your car is going to get rusty at some point either underneath first or other places after awhile. I am still taking it there. Hey I once had a vega lasted 155,000 miles I think I know a thing or two about rersponsible ownership, but thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If the dealer is no good like you say the best they'll do is have someone clean off the visible rust with some WD-40 or something and tell you it's fixed. You'll never know. You can fix this in 5 minutes but would rather go through the whole dealer service hassle? No thanks.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the dealer is no good like you say the best they'll do is have someone clean off the visible rust with some WD-40 or something hand tell you it's fixed. You'll never know. You can fix this in 5 minutes but would rather go through the whole dealer service hassle? No thanks.
Ok I hear. y but I think toyota should know or see it. I could see if the suv was alittle older but happen to early. At this pt. no idea what I will do in the end. but wanted to show others that this can or might happen to others.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Toyota needs to know about it. I had a '12 Highlander, an '09 RAV4 and an '06 Highlander for 3 years each in NYC where salt is the order of the day on roads and highways during snow storms. No rust on any hinges or anywhere else above the floor boards for that matter on any of them.

Document it with Toyota in case something else develops down the road. If it's out of warranty then you do as others explained on here and bite the bullet.

If the dealer is a PIA then you be a bigger one!

Reactions: manhog

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Toyota needs to know about it. I had a '12 Highlander, an '09 RAV4 and an '06 Highlander for 3 years each in NYC where salt is the order of the day on roads and highways during snow storms. No rust on any hinges or anywhere else above the floor boards for that matter on any of them.

Document it with Toyota in case something else develops down the road. If it's out of warranty then you do as others explained on here and bite the bullet.

If the dealer is a PIA then you be a bigger one!
Yes I mean some believe it is a waste of time. Well car is still under warranty. I mean I think they should know. And per your message your car never got rust starting. I probably contact them cause I believe they need to know and its still under warranty. Also there is more rain than snow, so could not the rain be causing the problem more than snow? Just asking. Rust does start with salt but so does water traped.

·
Registered
264 Posts
While you're there are you going to tell them the seat cover they warrantied was because of your velcro pants? Don't they need to know that too?:confused:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While you're there are you going to tell them the seat cover they warrantied was because of your velcro pants? Don't they need to know that too?:confused:
Please go pick on someone else for a change. I tired to be nice with my response back to you but now you are really a PIA. There I guess you got what you wanted. Its good you stay out of the hot sun.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey, you're the one who made the big fuss about the crappy seat fabric etc etc and you PITA dealer replaced it as a one-time courtesy then you find out it's velcro on your pants ruining the fabric and you don't think Toyota would be as interested in that as a bit of rust stain under a bracket? Seems like a reasonable thing to do if helping them find problems with the 4.4 is your goal.

We moved here for the sun, it's wonderful!

What's the build date on your RAV? You say you've owned it 16 months but it's a 2013 so it could have sat on the dealer's lot through the winter before you bought it. Not right or wrong, just pointing out it could have seen more wet weather that you think. Obviously there's unprotected metal under that bracket somewhere.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Geesh, and I thought I was anal!!!:surprise

Speaking of Honda's, I wish I had a picture of my 2008 CR-V, total rust bucket, after only three years!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I had my '12 Highlander until January of this year, I had my '09 RAV4 for 3 years as well in NYC winters and guess what? No rust on any hinges or door mechanisms.

Let's go easy on the guy and where he lives. Rust on the underside I could accept and understand, but rusty hinges/mechanisms on any vehicle as young as his I can't accept.

Lets hope he gets to the bottom of it and gets it rectified satisfactorily by Toyota or their agents. Anyone remember the rust issues on the frames of the Tacomas?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I would support the hatch, remove the bolt, clean the area and re-torque the bolt. I'm thinking the bolt is moving slightly, causing the rust.

·
Registered
419 Posts
We live in S/W Ontario, and Hwy dump trucks routinely sprinkle harsh salt & abrasive sand, down on black ice &/or snow covered roads...off & on, for like 4 months of the year.
While I don't expect a 2013 Toyota to start rusting, rusty hinges is usually the first place any vehicle will start corroding - due to metal on metal exposure & friction.
- once rust starts, killing it completely is an ongoing battle

I am a firm believer in using Fluid Film, on all hinges & door pins...to start with.
- FF spray can is $10, at Auto Zone
Undercarriage & inside doors, quarters, etc. get wax/oil spray undercoating yearly...on our vehicles.
- our last used car was a 2002 Volvo V70 wagon, and still rust free

Our 2008 RAV4 will get fully undercoated, next month.
- the hinges, I just spray a few times a year with the spray can method
Warranty or not, I like to exercise some Preventive Maintenance, and curtail rust from forming (in first place) or delay the cancer, as long as possible.

FLUID FILM: Fluid Film Spray Applicator Guns

FLUID FILM in an easy to handle. Long term protection. Economical. Apply by brush, roller or pressurized spray. FLUID FILM products offer powerful corrosion protection for all metals and superior lubrication for all moving parts. They are long lasting, thixotropic liquids and gels that have been used for over 55 years in the highly corrosive marine environment of ships and offshore drilling rigs. More recently they have been introduced and successfully utilized in the lawn & garden, aviation and automobile industries, as well as providing an environmentally friendlier solution for home maintenance. Facilities where they are used include government, commercial fishing, gas companies, farming, salt, power, and industrial plants. FLUID FILM is formulated from specially processed wool-wax, highly refined petroleum oils and selected agents to provide corrosion control, penetration, metal wetting and water displacement. These long lasting products contain no solvents, will not dry out and will penetrate to the base of all metals, providing corrosion protection from both natural and industrial atmospheres. Heavily corroded and/or frozen parts such as nuts, bolts, shafts, etc. that would normally be damaged during maintenance, can be salvaged by applying FLUID FILM.

2002 Volvo V70 may be 13 years old (never garaged & daily exposed to Canadian winters) & still no rust started, due to proper wax/oil undercoating.
- a little TLC with the right products, goes a long way
- its all in the auto body preventive maintenance, and maximizing resale value is the added bonus

1 - 20 of 25 Posts