Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 RAV4 SE with LED tail lights with 2400 kms. Outside temperature is about -22C (-7.6F). I washed my car inside a heated self service wash bay.

I then drove 5 minutes to get back home into my garage. When I inspected the vehicle to make sure I did a good clean wash, I noticed both of my LED tail lights had moisture condensation at basically the same exact spot on both of them.

Is this normal, or I have defective tail lights? Vehicle was bought brand new with 13 kms. in the summer.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Please see attached pictures.

Thank you. IMG_9868_b.jpg

IMG_9869_b.jpg

IMG_9870_b.jpg

IMG_9871_b.jpg

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have a 2016 RAV4 SE with LED tail lights with 2400 kms. Outside temperature is about -22C (-7.6F). I washed my car inside a heated self service wash bay.

I then drove 5 minutes to get back home into my garage. When I inspected the vehicle to make sure I did a good clean wash, I noticed both of my LED tail lights had moisture condensation at basically the same exact spot on both of them.

Is this normal, or I have defective tail lights? Vehicle was bought brand new with 13 kms. in the summer.

Thank you. View attachment 88346

View attachment 88354

View attachment 88362

View attachment 88370
I'm in Palo Alto California where night time temperatures are low 50's (farenheit).
After carwash at night the condensation is only on the outside of the lights. not the inside.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm sure it has to do with the temperature change. Any moisture trapped in the housing will instantly condense with the warm to cold change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes I have this on my 2017 rav bought 2 weeks ago. Anyone have any idea if dealers know about this? And if they are replacing the tail lights?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have it also my 2015 Rav4 ONLY the drivers side--Im going to take it to the dealer to have it looked at, 100% should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2016 XLE....notices some dirt within the rear right corner rear light unit and the rear left tail gate rear light unit. Looks like water from roadway somehow entered these allegedly sealed units. Over time the water has evaporated leaving the dirt behind, within the units, adhering the the inside of the respective lenses. Took the car into my dealership for it's sheduled service and drew the above to the Service Managers attention. On inspection he agreed and found the units had separated to some degree, allowing the ingress of water. Both units are being replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think it's a defective parts issue, a flaw in their production process at the time. That my dealership did not push back at all on my complaint would suggest it's something that they knew about....as will Toyota. So to anyone with concerns, get it in to a dealership while you still have warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2016 RAV LE, 33,000 kms. The dealer I have dealing with over the past 20 years got them replaced under warranty Nov of 2017 . See what they say. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Replacement rear light units replaced today under warranty! Good job Kingston, Ont Toyota!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2016 SE has had some weird cloudiness starting in my tail lights. At first thought it was condensation, but it didn’t go away. They’re weird white milky blotches on the inside. Had my dealer check it, paperwork stated the plastic was “fatigued” and the unit needed to be replaced. I’m scheduled to have it replaced Friday.
I also noticed today my other tail light was getting a spot in the same location! So now I’m gonna have to ask them to remake both. I hope this isn’t a flaw in the clear 2016-2018 tail lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

Same issue with my 2016 hybrid. Booked into the local dealers for them to investigate the problem they agreed there was a failure on all 4 light units and would order replacements under warranty.
These being fitted tomorrow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
same problem on my 2018 Rav4 LE there is also condensation on tail light but when i brought it to dealership they said its normal. Poor warranty on the part of toyota dealership... toyota hackensack...

·
Registered
5 Posts
same problem on my 2018 Rav4 LE there is also condensation on tail light but when i brought it to dealership they said its normal. Poor warranty on the part of toyota dealership... toyota hackensack...
Dealer replaced both for free and forgot to install bulbs, lol. Found out when I installed LEDs. Some of these dealers really suck from what I've read...

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thank you. View attachment 88346

View attachment 88354

View attachment 88362

View attachment 88370

·
Registered
2 Posts
Purchased used 2016 RAV4 in June, it came with fogged tail lights. Before buying, searched for recalls, tech bulletins, but did not find this forum or prob would not have purchased it. Paid to have the tail lights replaced by independent repair shop, he got them from local Toyota dealer. 2 weeks after install, they have condensation in them. Not hopeful that local dealer will do anything but think Toyota should acknowledge factory defect & compensate us owners (am not holding my breath). A bad stain on reputation of otherwise great vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am the original owner of a 2017 RAV4 hybrid. Purchased in May 2018. Had to go back to the dealership because tail light has about 2 in. of water in it. Every time tail gate is opened water shifts. Dealership acting like no big deal. I have real concerns about the over all quality. This car cost a small fortune. I thought I was paying all that extra money for quality workmanship not seconds. The car seems to be getting noisier too. High pitch vibration noice after last maintenance when they evaluated the water logged tail light. Not happy and not sure what to do.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts