Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should definitely bring it to their attention. It should be covered under your warranty. You did not buy a car with moisture in the tail lights. Why should you accept it now. The dealer should be made aware of it and Toyota should be made aware of this problem. This may be an issue that Toyota needs to address. Since I noticed water laying inside my tail light I have noticed a lot of Rav4's with the same problem.

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 LE
7 Posts
I’ll watch it the next time it rains. If there’s moisture in them I’ll take it up there water and all. I didn’t buy a new car to have leaking tail lights ! If I wanted water in the tail lights I’d drive an old beater !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just started to notice clouding inside the tail lights
on my 2016 SE. Ive only owned the car for a year, but im a stickler when it comes to attention to detail. This is definitely new, and bums be out big time. Will take to my dealer and bring it to their attention tomorrow, but they suck here... and I doubt anything will be done :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just started to notice clouding inside the tail lights View attachment 150667 on my 2016 SE. Ive only owned the car for a year, but im a stickler when it comes to attention to detail. This is definitely new, and bums be out big time. Will take to my dealer and bring it to their attention tomorrow, but they suck here... and I doubt anything will be done :( View attachment 150666
Hello...my wife's 2016 Rav has the same issue as yours. Did you have any luck at the dealership? Is anyone aware of a TSB that relates to this problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I had this problem with my 2015 Limited Rav4. It had 89k miles and was 5 years old when I took it in to Toyota (March 2020). The maintenance bay guy there told me it'd cost $150 to run some diagnostics on it and that it would most likely just need a replacement lens housing unit. I laughed and took my keys back and just bought a new housing for $80 (81551-42161 - Toyota Parts Deal). It's an extremely straightforward replacement. You just need a 10mm wrench. I stumbled across this amazing resource and it not only provided a step-by-step tutorial for replacing the taillight, but it also had other amazingly detailed DIYs (Toyota RAV4 Common Problems, DIY Repair Guides & Vehicle Maintenance Instructions - 2013 To 2018 Model Years). IMHO do not go to the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I had this problem with my 2015 Limited Rav4. It had 89k miles and was 5 years old when I took it in to Toyota (March 2020). The maintenance bay guy there told me it'd cost $150 to run some diagnostics on it and that it would most likely just need a replacement lens housing unit. I laughed and took my keys back and just bought a new housing for $80 (81551-42161 - Toyota Parts Deal). It's an extremely straightforward replacement. You just need a 10mm wrench. I stumbled across this amazing resource and it not only provided a step-by-step tutorial for replacing the taillight, but it also had other amazingly detailed DIYs (Toyota RAV4 Common Problems, DIY Repair Guides & Vehicle Maintenance Instructions - 2013 To 2018 Model Years). IMHO do not go to the dealer.
Hello,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond with all the valuable links. Paul has a very cool site loaded with valuable information.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2016 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (Super White II)
14 Posts
DEPO has released LED Replacement tails for the 16-18 RAV4. Recently upgraded my 16 XLE, and they work and look great! Direct replacement, and plug n play! I will post photos and video soon! Good alternative if the dealer doesnt replace

·
Registered
4 Posts
DEPO has released LED Replacement tails for the 16-18 RAV4. Recently upgraded my 16 XLE, and they work and look great! Direct replacement, and plug n play! I will post photos and video soon! Good alternative if the dealer doesnt replace
Great, looking forward to the pics! Were they easy to install?

·
Registered
2018 Rav4 XLE
5 Posts
My 2018 also has water in the tail lights. I will call the dealer and see if they will replace them under warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It looks like I have the same problem, someone mention here DEPO Led lights but I have the European version and mine are the same as the depo led.
Someone mention housing replacement but how do You do it ? The link provided for the instruction doesn't really say anything about housing replacement.

Did anyone had a luck with the dealer?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts