Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Order K&N filter last week and got it today... before i open the plastic wrap, i did a comparison with the OEM filter, and they look exactly the same size... so i install it.. and yep.. it fit perfectly..!!!

here are some pictures that i look..

i guess i'm the first to have after market air filter in a 06 RAV4 V6.. LOL

·
Registered
270 Posts
K&N Filter

Have you noticed an improvement in HP-speed-performance- etc.?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: K&N Filter

sooperedd said:
i haven't have time to really go out and drive around.. with the only test drive i did.. i noticed some improvement on the higher RPMS and better throttle response.. i will do some speed comparison next time..

i will also see if i can get better MPG out of this filter too..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: K&N Filter

hooolala said:
sooperedd said:
i haven't have time to really go out and drive around.. with the only test drive i did.. i noticed some improvement on the higher RPMS and better throttle response.. i will do some speed comparison next time..

i will also see if i can get better MPG out of this filter too..
Did you remove the HC filter, too? It's located between the MAF and air filter, in the upper half of the air box. That seems more restrictive than the paper vs cotton media debate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey There. So whats the final word on the K&N filter? Where there any discernable improvements in performance/gas mileage?
Give us an update please. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
Those minute differences (usually placebo effect) are not worth overall as oil based filters make MAF sensors dirty and allow for fine dust to wear combustion chambers.

·
Registered
215 Posts
friendly_jacek said:
Those minute differences (usually placebo effect) are not worth overall as oil based filters make MAF sensors dirty and allow for fine dust to wear combustion chambers.
I have put over 75K miles on toyotas with air intake kits with no more wear and tear then what is to be expected.... how do i know this compression check no more loss than what my dad had on his tacoma I.E. your splitting hairs on this one the panel filter is a step in the right direction but you really need a air intake kit to see any HP TQ gains

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have been using the K&N Air filter for about 15k miles already.. never have any engine problem or any check engine light.. my RAV4 runs very smooth/strong and i didn't notice any Drop or gain on the MPG.. the highest MPG i got is 26mpg, and lowerest is 19mpg (btw. i have a v6 awd limited with 3rd row)..

mhgsx: no i didn't remove it..

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Seriouly, if one can get improve performance and better gas mileage for $40, wouldn't you think Toyota would install them in the factory?

·
Registered
215 Posts
The G Man said:
Seriouly, if one can get improve performance and better gas mileage for $40, wouldn't you think Toyota would install them in the factory?
dam hear we go again :roll:
if you want it buy it
if you don't then the simple thing is don't buy it

my op on this

1. i drive 30k miles a year give or take in a year and a half a cone filter or seravisable filter has payed off it's self in that time

2. on my old car 05 matrix 1.8 1zzfe i did pick up 1 to 2 mpg if i was light on the gas

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The G Man said:
Not if the paper is cheaper and you keep coming back to dealer for new over-priced ones........ Toyota dont give a stuff if it makes more HP, they want your $$$

1 - 14 of 14 Posts