Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, just posting my story and where I’m at currently for anyone else affected, or tips for help on direction through this. Below is a copy paste of my notes from a call with Toyota Canada today.

2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - white
Made in Canada, purchased November 2019
VIN - 048776 (low #, no info on range affected)
est. mileage: 7,937km as of Feb. 10, 2020
Block# D247609

I input my VIN into Toyota’s recall system and US NHTSA:
Recalls & Campaigns Lookup - Toyota Canada
Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment

Neither site produced any flags or recalls associated with our VIN, but providing it to Toyota Canada did produce a positive...

Toyota Canada # - 1(888)869-6828
Spoke to Stephanie to create an active case

NOTES
-confirmed we have a recall on the car after providing VIN, personal info, month of purchase (not exact date), and current mileage - but it’s in the interim stages

-a block of VIN’s that may be affected are flagged, and they are running through contacting those affected based on mileage, age, and ‘did you experience this’ to narrow down to what batch is affected

-they asked have you experienced these symptoms: smells, leakages, shudders, or dash warnings - if yes, go to the dealer and they will judge if the car is safe to drive or not

-they are working on the solution - no update on what it is or when, I did at this point reference the news article:
^she answered with they are working on a solution, and when I pressed that solution is in the article ‘replace the engine’ she said Toyota needs to ensure the replacement engine will not have the same issues to ensure safety blah blah blah.

-if no solution (we’ll contact you if there is) has developed before the arrival of the notice (early April) then immediately go to the dealer with the recall notice received in the mail and they will sort it out (new engine? - she wouldn’t say)

-no solution to fix the problem is available currently, short of replacing the whole engine as referenced in the article which confirmed is ‘a solution’

- I can’t go to the dealer for them to check or diagnose if I’m affected to be proactive as they don’t have direction on what they are looking for yet, they send you back to Toyota head for updates, and Toyota head just says wait for the recall notice or you can call weekly to check for updates or if you encounter the symptoms discussed gonto a dealer, so basically be a guinea pig for the next few weeks ?‍♂

--Updated Feb. 11--
Snagged a pic of my door sticker for others reference. This sticker does not reflect purchase date for those wondering.
Purchase date: 11/19
Build date: 10/19

--Updated Feb. 12--
-VIN as of today has been been upgraded from flagged as “may be affected” to you will be getting a notice on procedure to follow in the coming weeks.
I input my VIN into Toyota’s recall system and US NHTSA:
Recalls & Campaigns Lookup - Toyota Canada
Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment
Neither site is still producing any flags, confirmations, or recalls associated with our VIN for those wondering

-Toyota Canada have confirmed which VIN's have the affected engine serials (no context of VIN range, or which engine serial range, or how many are needing the repair versus just flagged - still internal)
-they have figured out the issue, and the remedy (i.e.: replace the engine) is in production awaiting the response to service the recalls, which is different than what I heard 2 days ago that they are still testing the solution with no official internal green light yet.
I couldn’t get a copy of the “interim information sheet” as they can’t send it according to the agent, but it reads no different than what people are posting with affected VIN's
the recall will be served in 2 parts:
-1st is an “interim notice” indicating you are affected - describes symptoms, and a solution is being worked on and rough timeline
-2nd notice is when the solution is ready to go to your dealer to proceed with the repair and coverage details

-I inquired who’s liable to cover the loaner vehicle, I was told Toyota in some cases can provide arrangements for a loaner when a repair exceeds a 'normal' specified amount of time (no numbers provided) once they are aware of the length of the repair, but things like 1-3 business day repair would be something you need to cover with your dealer
-I inquired on where the repair will be held, the car will stay on-site at the dealer you drop it off at until the service is complete, any testing or special instructions will be conducted at the dealer
-I inquired will any testing involve gas consumption (i.e.: I drop it off at full, will I get it back at full), this needs to be clarified with your dealer as Toyota Canada will not provide gas credit.

-symptoms to look for include (HYBRID and GAS):
new
blue smoke for burning oil
white smoke for burning coolant (from engine, in cabin, or exhaust) Toyota coolant smells sweet when burnt
engine chiming accompanied by warning lights
repeat from last convo
engine oil leaking (in both hybrids and gas
more commonly an internal coolant leak which would cause the smoke, in extreme cases the coolant would be an external leak visible under the car
engine overheating
loud noises
shudders
warning lights on the dash (specifically check engine OR master warning light)
Additional notes talking about warranty
-no extension of current powertrain warranty (5 years - 100,000km) as the engine is one component of powertrain (engine, transmission, trans-axel etc.), in order to get additional coverage all "powertrain" components as per Toyota's definition need to be affected
-the engine replacement falls under “safety recall warranty” which again is a fancy way of saying one-time fix
> I kept it light with the mods I see on the forum in case anyone was wondering do you need to return the car to stock before taking it in, under “safety recall warranty” things like: changing light bulbs to LED, install bigger rims/tires, tints, rust proofing, sound deadening, splicing wires, would not affect your eligibility getting this replacement.
-NOW this is where some warranties might be affected (powertrain, HYBRID, comprehensive, etc.) should you need the coverage
-in this example comprehensive (3 year - 60,000km) - incl. 12v battery (NOT the HYBRID NiMh array), electrical, misc. items throughout the vehicle
>any type of rust proofing done after the factory WILL void your comprehensive warranty AND hybrid electrical warranty as they can argue the chemical did damage etc.
must remove any modifications done to the car before proceeding with any other warranty claims i.e: tires affected rotations of the axel and messed with the engine, LED shorted the wires and fried the fuse, etc. etc.

--Updated Mar. 12--

I had my purchasing dealer contact me about 1 week and a half ago requesting I come in for the inspection regarding the engine recall. Today I had it completed (took about an hour) and got a clean bill of health, no engine replacement needed!

Once completed, I had to sign paperwork regarding warranty, and completion of the inspection. The warranty documents pertained to completed labour to be covered under the powertrain warranty, no modification or waivers to the existing warranty for those wondering. I will be following up with Toyota Canada in the a.m as well and see what they have on their end after a 24hrs buffer playing dummy.

Below I attached what I received regarding the completion of the inspection and passing approval, this confirms the dealership has the ability to validate whether you’re affected or not.

IMG_5925.jpg IMG_5926.jpg

--Updated Mar. 13--
Hey guys, got another update today (Mar. 13):

I had requested from my dealer the letter referenced on the grading sheet attached earlier and here.

This letter was sent to ALL dealers/principles/parts + service managers received February 28, it's mostly Canada specific but it does reference the US market as well - Hope this can add some insight for all us affected (good or bad) and keep our records up to date with information and what is entailed in the inspection.

I wanted this personally for warranty reasons as when Phase 2 is available I will be vocalizing Warranty extension

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
It looks like Toyota doesn’t know which vehicles have the affected engine block. The engine block has certain serial number which can be checked by the dealer to confirm the problem.

You can find the engine serial number as attached in the picture from the manual of RAV4 hybrid.

Did Toyota Canada show positive VIN from first trial ?

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like Toyota doesn’t know which vehicles have the affected engine block. The engine block has certain serial number which can be checked by the dealer to confirm the problem.

You can find the engine serial number as attached in the picture from the manual of RAV4 hybrid.
They are aware, I was told this verbally, or else I wouldn’t be flagged. What they aren’t aware of from what it sounds is if every car affected in the ‘range’ has the same symptoms or even the ‘solution’ they are working on (engine replacement) will experience the same problem.

I emailed my dealers’ manager while I was on hold multiple times and the response I got is that Toyota Canada have not provided their dealer (or even his associate dealers) a list of affected vin's or range to look for, so they are as in the dark as us driving the vehicle... - if yours is affected you will get a notice from Toyota Canada

Did Toyota Canada show positive VIN from first trial ?
Not sure what you mean by your question

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have a 2019 rav4 hybrid, serial number ends 002654, was one of first in our area, has about 17000 Kms, will contact Toyota tomorrow, to find if they know anything

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have a 2019 rav4 hybrid, serial number ends 002654, was one of first in our area, has about 17000 Kms, will contact Toyota tomorrow, to find if they know anything
God speed, hopefully the rush of individuals being exposed to the notice and information opens the door to action sooner!

I was pushing that I have pregnant wife driving the car and in the article it references a concerning bit:
"it is possible the vehicle could stall while driving at higher speeds without prior warning, increasing the risk of a crash.”

Not something I want on my conscious, I know it's dramatic, but I don't want to be the 1% and some freak accident...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to hear that your RAV4 is affected.

Just to clarify, you called Toyota Canada 1(888)869-6828 and provided your VIN which was determined to be affected by the engine block issue?

When you checked your VIN on Toyota Canada's recall site, no results.

If so, I guess we can't rely on potential false negative results when checking the NHTSA and Canada / USA Toyota recall sites.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
God speed, hopefully the rush of individuals being exposed to the notice and information opens the door to action sooner!

I was pushing that I have pregnant wife driving the car and in the article it references a concerning bit:

Not something I want on my conscious, I know it's dramatic, but I don't want to be the 1% and some freak accident...
Sorry to hear your family‘s vehicle is on this list. Here’s hoping Toyota will do what’s right and do it quickly rather than floundering about as they've done with many of the other problems that have come up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear that your RAV4 is affected.

Just to clarify, you called Toyota Canada 1(888)869-6828 and provided your VIN which was determined to be affected by the engine block issue?

When you checked your VIN on Toyota Canada's recall site, no results.
Yes that's right.

They might just be contacting Canadians directly as the number might be much smaller here than US sold RAV's, who knows. I'll keep on it with weekly follow-up's.

Our car has been working very well otherwise, and still is... I still think Toyota's are dependable. Look at it from this angle, if I end up having to get a new HYBRID engine, it'll be more solid. They won't go for strike 2 after a $15k repair bill, and it might come with additional MPG benefits as it'll be probably a 2021 construction. 2020 RAV4 Hybrids saw a slight increase in MPG over 2019, I'd like to assume 2021 will be similar LOL

·
Registered
647 Posts
Our car has been working very well otherwise, and still is... I still think Toyota's are dependable. Look at it from this angle, if I end up having to get a new HYBRID engine, it'll be more solid. They won't go for strike 2 after a $15k repair bill, and it might come with additional MPG benefits as it'll be probably a 2021 construction. 2020 RAV4 Hybrids saw a slight increase in MPG over 2019, I'd like to assume 2021 will be similar LOL
Hope springs eternal...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Dealer
Spoke to my dealer today, and as of today there was a stop sale placed on 2020 Gas/Hybrid RAV's produced between Mid-September to Early December 2019. No indication of engine serials affected or what they are looking for, just a block of VIN's manufactured in the above date range.

>>Anyone currently looking for a RAV to educate themselves and ask the right questions.

Toyota Canada

spoke to another rep today who will be preparing a more formal email request to me by Friday with an interim notice (not publicly available) and coles notes of warranty coverage after replacement, symptoms to look out for, status of solution etc. basically a paper trail from them for us to digest
-as of today, no remedy is available yet (Feb. 11, 2020)
-was clarified again that the block of VIN’s flagged as ‘affected’, not every vehicle has the problem. Wouldn’t provide insight on process of elimination finding which engine serials are actually needing the remedy as it’s all internal and customer service doesn’t have access to that - I pushed to provide my serial or what the dealership is looking out for but to no avail.

-symptoms to look for include:
-loud noises
-shudders
-smoke
-warning lights (specifically check engine OR master warning light)
-engine oil leaking (in both hybrids and gas)
-more commonly an internal coolant leak which would cause smoke/smells, in extreme cases the coolant would be an external leak visible under the car
-engine overheating
-warranty enhancement program was discussed, their fancy way of saying “one time fix” - no additional coverage on top of the base warranty @ time of purchase (ex: 3 years 60,000km)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I know it's only a matter of months, but I wonder why they wouldn't allow the warranty to start from the time of engine replacement? If you got a September 2019 build and then replaced your engine in February, you'd have about 31 months left even though a major change was done to your car (replacing the engine). It would be trivial for them to give you 3 years from replacement date or 41 months warranty from purchase.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Dealer
Spoke to my dealer today, and as of today there was a stop sale placed on 2020 Gas/Hybrid RAV's produced between Mid-September to Early December 2019. No indication of engine serials affected or what they are looking for, just a block of VIN's manufactured in the above date range.
If this is true, I wonder why my 2020 hybrid with an 11/19 build date is not (yet?) on the recall list?

·
Registered
164 Posts
If this is true, I wonder why my 2020 hybrid with an 11/19 build date is not (yet?) on the recall list?
There are many possible reasons, all of which i think have been covered in this thread. First, Toyota is still trying to figure out which cars are affected. Second, they narrowed it down to a range of manufacturing but it doesn't mean 100% of all cars made during this time are affected (different plants and suppliers). Third, Toyota is still building and updating their recall database. Then they need to communicate this the NHTSB to update their own database. We are less than a week in and nobody has detailed information yet.

Your car may or may not be part of the recall but right now nobody knows. Does that make sense?

1 - 20 of 150 Posts