Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There are many possible reasons, all of which i think have been covered in this thread. First, Toyota is still trying to figure out which cars are affected. Second, they narrowed it down to a range of manufacturing but it doesn't mean 100% of all cars made during this time are affected (different plants and suppliers). Third, Toyota is still building and updating their recall database. Then they need to communicate this the NHTSB to update their own database. We are less than a week in and nobody has detailed information yet.

Your car may or may not be part of the recall but right now nobody knows. Does that make sense?
+1, for clarity my dealer is Canadian, and the only stock affected were 2 gas RAV4 LE's on the lot that are now dead weight to him.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I know it's only a matter of months, but I wonder why they wouldn't allow the warranty to start from the time of engine replacement? If you got a September 2019 build and then replaced your engine in February, you'd have about 31 months left even though a major change was done to your car (replacing the engine). It would be trivial for them to give you 3 years from replacement date or 41 months warranty from purchase.
This is exactly where my mind was going with this.

I produced the same conversation flow today as I did yesterday just to see what happens if I badger more. The warranty was a new topic discussed today completely on their own, I never even asked about it initially. Maybe they are counting on people not raising stink and just dealing with it?

For context; when I disputed the sensibility of a new engine install affecting the vehicle down the line outside of warranty as it is no longer a factory install with tighter install QA specifications versus just a straight dealer repair - there was pause and was placed on hold, then just regurgitated the same line after placing me on hold. This is when I asked for terms to be emailed to me for a proper paper record to review. I'm definitely going to escalate down the line IF we end up needing to have anything replaced because why not.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine is 038124 and it's lower than your's, but no recalls. Guess they messed up somewhere along the line?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2020 XLE Hybrid being transferred to my dealer, but its not there yet. I ran the VIN and its Canadian made. It shows order date of 12/19 but doesn't show a build date that I can see. Are these the same thing?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Mine is 038124 and it's lower than your's, but no recalls. Guess they messed up somewhere along the line?
Call Toyota head and run your VIN just to be safe. I'm still running my VIN through the 2 databases linked in the 1st post and still showing nothing no recall on my vehicle, but a call to Toyota Canada confirms I have an affected VIN.

Borrowed from your sig @Ravvydoog19 🍻
Toyota CEO email: [email protected]
Toyota Corporate phone number: 800-331-4331

Not to keen Toyota hasn't figured who's specifically affected yet and just a range (so customer service says), in part it's the government forcing the manufacturer to release the information within so many days - which is usually way too soon for a remedy and parts supply to be put in place - which in turn causes worry and frustration on everyone's part... But the more of us calling and saying "hey, why do I have to drive around in a potentially unsafe vehicle while you figure it out" may help fast track things.

We had a road trip to Florida in mind in the near future (21 hours driving total one way), that's been now axed until I get a clean bill of health, I don't want to deal with a vehicle that MAY seize up somewhere in the boonies with a preggo... F that lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have a 2020 XLE Hybrid being transferred to my dealer, but its not there yet. I ran the VIN and its Canadian made. It shows order date of 12/19 but show a build date that I can see. Are these the same thing?
It's within the date range based on this chart posted by another user. I would call Toyota head and verify the VIN is clean before you pick up the vehicle upon delivery. My dealer as of today (Feb 11, 2020) said there was a stop sale placed on 2020 Gas/Hybrid RAV's produced between Mid-September to Early December 2019 (no specific dates).

I can see this being a dealers advantage to dump a potential lemon on ignorance when keys exchange hands.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's within the date range based on this chart posted by another user. I would call Toyota head and verify the VIN is clean before you pick up the vehicle upon delivery. My dealer as of today (Feb 11, 2020) said there was a stop sale placed on 2020 Gas/Hybrid RAV's produced between Mid-September to Early December 2019 (no specific dates).

I can see this being a dealers advantage to dump a potential lemon on ignorance when keys exchange hands.
Ill definitely do that. I'm just wondering if there is a difference between "order date" and actual build date, or if those are just different words that mean the same thing to Toyota. Hoping it was ordered 12/19 and that means it was built in January of this year, but maybe just wishful thinking.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is exactly where my mind was going with this.

I produced the same conversation flow today as I did yesterday just to see what happens if I badger more. The warranty was a new topic discussed today completely on their own, I never even asked about it initially. Maybe they are counting on people not raising stink and just dealing with it?

For context; when I disputed the sensibility of a new engine install affecting the vehicle down the line outside of warranty as it is no longer a factory install with tighter install QA specifications versus just a straight dealer repair - there was pause and was placed on hold, then just regurgitated the same line after placing me on hold
I don't know what is involved in an engine swap but it feels to me like there are probably dozens of bolts, screws, hoses, fittings, gaskets, etc that can go wrong. I really don't have any trust in my dealer, or any dealer for that matter, to properly do this without fail. I wholly expect that with something this major, a spring or bolt is bound to be loose or forgotten that may cause an issue months, or thousands of miles down the road. What if it ends up being 3 years later? Now you're out of warranty and something went wrong because of a bad install of your new replacement engine. Then what? I think it's great they are fixing it and are doing it for free, but I'd rather not have my car taken apart in the first place. This has me really nervous.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ill definitely do that. I'm just wondering if there is a difference between "order date" and actual build date, or if those are just different words that mean the same thing to Toyota. Hoping it was ordered 12/19 and that means it was built in January of this year, but maybe just wishful thinking.
I can't see how build date and order date could be the same thing. I don't think the VIN holds build OR order date information, just year of manufacturer. Where did you find the order date in your VIN?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Don't quote me, I think the order date is definitely different than production date, I'll check my sticker later tonight and update. to be proactive, you can maybe ask the dealer to leave everything as-is in your case (stickers, peels, etc.) for your own personal inspection.

4.5 General sub thread mention a sticker that is usually removed by the dealer that indicates where things were made, etc:

Production should be on your driver door near the tire info, here's the post for reference:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am supposed to pick up my Jan 30th 2020, Canada-built, RAV4h on Friday from the dealer. From what I see here so far, it should be safe. Right?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am supposed to pick up my Jan 30th 2020, Canada-built, RAV4h on Friday from the dealer. From what I see here so far, it should be safe. Right?
Yes

·
Registered
287 Posts
Darn. I have no recall on the website, but my XLE Hybrid made in Canada VIN ends in 43669, very close to the OP's. Same model, same time frame. I picked mine up in October 2019. Likely built in Sept.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I coincidentally found this page at the same time I was waiting for a response. I see, you are using Toyota's tool, not a standard VIN decoder tool. Toyota keeps extra information that is tied to the VIN but not encoded in the VIN. I've bookmarked the page.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Unless you can verify the production date of the car doesn't fall in the mid-September to early December 2019 range which would be hard as the vehicle isn't at it's destination yet for you to inepect. I would call Toyota head and verify the VIN is clean before you pick up the vehicle upon delivery. Just repeating, my dealer as of today (Feb 11, 2020) said there was a stop sale placed on 2020 Gas/Hybrid RAV's produced between Mid-September to Early December 2019 (no specific dates).

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just an FYI. When I put my VIN into the Toyota's Vehicle Specification web site, the resulting document shows an Order Date.

This matches the upper right-hand corner of the black sticker between the drivers door latch and the drivers side rear door hinge.

·
Registered
761 Posts
That's interesting, mine was populated like this right after I purchased the vehicle:

21 - 40 of 117 Posts