Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I input my VIN in that link and it gave me next to no info, think Toyota covered some tracks here?
That's interesting, mine was populated like this right after I purchased the vehicle:
@SeanBeanDiesInTheEnd
I do not think there's any tracks being covered, as I entered by VIN on that site last month and saved the results as a PDF.
Here's what mine looks like (Canadian built, Canadian delivered/owned, Build Date 10/19 according to vehicle stamp).

Though I do believe that some information is incorrect and or outdated.
E.g. Hoover Toyota - perhaps this is the initial dealer that purchased and sold the vehicle to my particular dealership where I took delivery.
It's definitely not the dealer that I purchased from.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well this would be my luck, I purchased my RAV4 yesterday.Haha. My vin shows nothing but that apparently doesn’t mean much...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just an FYI. When I put my VIN into the Toyota's Vehicle Specification web site, the resulting document shows an Order Date.

This matches the upper right-hand corner of the black sticker between the drivers door latch and the drivers side rear door hinge.
Snagged a pic of my door sticker for others reference. Mine does not reflect purchase date.
Purchase date: 11/19
Build date: 10/19

·
Registered
17 Posts
Meh the last 16 years I’ve owned a couple Ram HD 3500‘s, they seem to have a recall every 2 months. I think the 13 I traded in had 7-8 open recalls and a grid heater issue they were ignoring that could cost the owner $15-20k when the engine went. I’m really not worried about my Yota. At least Toyota is looking into it. I’m More concerned if it’s going to start tomorrow or if my battery will be dead, haha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in Australia is this only the Canadian or the Japanese version as well.
My vin is 046139
Engine model A25A-FXS no A25AR262055

·
Registered
770 Posts
Purchase date is irrelevant. It could sit on the lot for 6 months before you bought it. The Vehicle Spec sheet refers to this date as "Date of First Use"; which mine is Feb 16, 2019.

My order date (12/2018) on the Vehicle Spec sheet matches the black sticker (12/2018) stuck to the car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I swear to god, if I have to go back to the service department again for something stupid...
What's annoying is that any random Gen 5 VIN I pull from CarFax.com marketplace, I get recall info, but when I put mine I get an error. (yes I cleared my cache and even used a different browser.) I hate making these phones calls.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Maybe the Order date was the last week in August and the actual assembly when the stick was affixed ended up the first week of September; which wold make the date on the sticker an assembly date not an order date. Just a theory though or one is incorrect :eek:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think we are going down a slippery slope trying to force fit order date into the same slot as production date. I don't think they are the same thing. We saw an example where they matched and immediately after, an example where they didn't match. Instead of trying to predict if your car is involved in the recall, wait and see if Toyota confirms it. Even if you guess correctly, it's not like you can do anything.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
@SeanBeanDiesInTheEnd
I do not think there's any tracks being covered, as I entered by VIN on that site last month and saved the results as a PDF.
Here's what mine looks like (Canadian built, Canadian delivered/owned, Build Date 10/19 according to vehicle stamp).

Though I do believe that some information is incorrect and or outdated.
E.g. Hoover Toyota - perhaps this is the initial dealer that purchased and sold the vehicle to my particular dealership where I took delivery.
It's definitely not the dealer that I purchased from.

View attachment 149526
Probably not, can you imagine if they were doing that? Damn, would be worse than the brakes coverup a few years back. No, I believe it’s just us Canadians being the last data to be populated for anything, it’s usually the case lol.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I think we are going down a slippery slope trying to force fit order date into the same slot as production date. I don't think they are the same thing. We saw an example where they matched and immediately after, an example where they didn't match. Instead of trying to predict if your car is involved in the recall, wait and see if Toyota confirms it. Even if you guess correctly, it's not like you can do anything.
+1, purchase date has nothing to do with build date, even states ‘production date’ in the interim notice linked earlier.

I live in Australia is this only the Canadian or the Japanese version as well.
My vin is 046139
Engine model A25A-FXS no A25AR262055
No definitive answer, but it looks mostly for anything made in Canada atm

Btw not sure how safe it is posting your engine block serial, haven’t posted mine because I genuinely don’t know. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Hey weird question that just occurred to me and forgot to ask you guys, I was told to look for odd smells from inside the cabin - the rep wouldn’t say what I’m looking for in particular other than a burnt smell from either the coolant or oil.

I came home from work, cooked up a dinner, and watched some family feud Canada with the wife. Afterwards I stepped out to get some groceries which by then my nose must’ve adjusted, but upon entering the car there was this faint odour of stale cheese... not pungent but just enough like a forgotten sock with toe gunk.

We keep the car in good clean order, and neither one of us purchased or spilled anything that would’ve caused the odour. Does anyone know if that’s what coolant or oil smells like, burnt or otherwise?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Anyone think to check their Carfax report? Well I did because the NHTSA website was suppressing my VIN search and pulling error It states "An error occurred with your request. Recall information for your vehicle is not available at this time. Please contact Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. by phone at 1-800-331-4331 for recall information about your vehicle."

So I grabbed a dozen VINs online from dealers that listed VINs selling 2019s and all searches through NHTSA returned results with no open recalls. I took those same VINs and checked on Toyota's website. Same thing - No open recalls. But when I search my VIN on Toyota's site, it lists the recall.

So now I have this on my permanent Carfax report. Happy happy joy joy. Not even 1600 miles. Granted I haven't called yet and will by end of week. I hate going into these conversations uninformed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Anyone think to check their Carfax report? Well I did because the NHTSA website was suppressing my VIN search and pulling error It states "An error occurred with your request. Recall information for your vehicle is not available at this time. Please contact Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. by phone at 1-800-331-4331 for recall information about your vehicle."

So I grabbed a dozen VINs online from dealers that listed VINs selling 2019s and all searches through NHTSA returned results with no open recalls. I took those same VINs and checked on Toyota's website. Same thing - No open recalls. But when I search my VIN on Toyota's site, it lists the recall.

So now I have this on my permanent Carfax report. Happy happy joy joy. Not even 1600 miles. Granted I haven't called yet and will by end of week. I hate going into these conversations uninformed.

View attachment 149548
Definitely sad to hear that... but now you know and where to point the blame to get answers.

41 - 60 of 117 Posts