Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes that's right.

They might just be contacting Canadians directly as the number might be much smaller here than US sold RAV's, who knows. I'll keep on it with weekly follow-up's.

Our car has been working very well otherwise, and still is... I still think Toyota's are dependable. Look at it from this angle, if I end up having to get a new HYBRID engine, it'll be more solid. They won't go for strike 2 after a $15k repair bill, and it might come with additional MPG benefits as it'll be probably a 2021 construction. 2020 RAV4 Hybrids saw a slight increase in MPG over 2019, I'd like to assume 2021 will be similar LOL
Decided to follow your action and I called Toyota Canada.
My VIN did not return any results for recalls on NHTSA, Toyota Canada or USA recall sites.

After connecting with a representative, I provided my full name, mailing address and phone number. My owner record was retrieved and my VIN was verified.
As of today, my RAV4 Hybrid is not on the affected list and is not subject to the recall.

Representative said that the recall is in the interim stages and that affected vehicle owners would be contacted in the coming months. The recall process involves announcement of the recall, identifying affected vehicles, contacting affected owners, and then further contact with owners for remedies. Should things change and it is revealed vehicles which are currently not affected are subject to a recall, affected owners would be contacted via mail.

Hoping I don't hear from Toyota, my local dealer, or see any mail from them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Decided to follow your action and I called Toyota Canada.
My VIN did not return any results for recalls on NHTSA, Toyota Canada or USA recall sites.

After connecting with a representative, I provided my full name, mailing address and phone number. My owner record was retrieved and my VIN was verified.
As of today, my RAV4 Hybrid is not on the affected list and is not subject to the recall.

Representative said that the recall is in the interim stages and that affected vehicle owners would be contacted in the coming months. The recall process involves announcement of the recall, identifying affected vehicles, contacting affected owners, and then further contact with owners for remedies. Should things change and it is revealed vehicles which are currently not affected are subject to a recall, affected owners would be contacted via mail.

Hoping I don't hear from Toyota, my local dealer, or see any mail from them.
praying you dodge that bullet 🤘

·
Registered
162 Posts
This one shipped to dealer on middle of October, is in the recall list: 2T3J1RFV0LC060922
2020 Toyota RAV4
Not your vehicle?
VIN #: 2T3J1RFV0LC060922

One or more recall items are ready for repair. Please click the Find A Dealer button below to schedule your service at a dealer near you.

FIND A DEALER REQUEST A CALL OR CALL NOW

Safety Recalls

Title
SAFETY RECALL 20TA04 (Interim Notice 20TB04) - Multiple Models - Certain Engine Blocks May Experience Coolant Leakage Causing Engine Stall (non-hybrid) and/or Fire Risk
Status
Remedy Not Available
Description
Some of the subject vehicles may be equipped with an engine block that was manufactured incorrectly. This issue may cause coolant to leak internally and/or externally during normal engine operation. This can lead to engine noise, engine smoke, warning lights/malfunction indicator illumination, an audible chime sounding, and/or, in some cases, engine overheating and possible internal mechanical engine damage.
Remedy
Toyota is currently preparing the remedy. When the remedy is available, Toyota dealers will inspect the engine block casting serial number to determine if it is involved. In the cases where an involved engine block is identified, dealers will replace the engine including the engine block with a new one FREE OF CHARGE to customers.
For answers to frequently asked questions, please click here.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I swear to god, if I have to go back to the service department again for something stupid...
What's annoying is that any random Gen 5 VIN I pull from CarFax.com marketplace, I get recall info, but when I put mine I get an error. (yes I cleared my cache and even used a different browser.) I hate making these phones calls.

View attachment 149531
Wait a sec.... how come yours is 140kg less GVWR than mine?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I missed the deadline, but my 2019 Rav4 XSE Japan Build car was built in 7/2019, no recalls on Toyota site or NHTSA website. Engine # started with an R.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I missed the deadline, but my 2019 Rav4 XSE Japan Build car was built in 7/2019, no recalls on Toyota site or NHTSA website. Engine # started with an R.
The reported range is Mid-September to Early December 2019. You're telling us you're in the clear (Built 2 months earlier) and also what your engine serial starts with? Why?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all, hopefully I'm not posting this and missed it had already been posted. This is an article about the Canadian engine recalls. The article stated, "Well, in some cases, the 2.5-litre four-cylinder’s block may be porous." I was just wondering if anyone had seen this listed in other articles other than this one. I wouldn't think and I guess was hoping that there was only one reason for this mess but now I wonder if that is true. Doesn't change anything but just sharing. Not trying to replicate information if I missed this already being discussed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
Got an UPDATE
-February 12-

-VIN as of today has been been upgraded from flagged as “may be affected” to you will be getting a notice on procedure to follow in the coming weeks.
I input my VIN into Toyota’s recall system and US NHTSA:
Recalls & Campaigns Lookup - Toyota Canada
Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment
Neither site is still producing any flags, confirmations, or recalls associated with our VIN for those wondering

-Toyota Canada have confirmed which VIN's have the affected engine serials (no context of VIN range, or which engine serial range, or how many are needing the repair versus just flagged - still internal)
-they have figured out the issue, and the remedy (i.e.: replace the engine) is in production awaiting the response to service the recalls, which is different than what I heard 2 days ago that they are still testing the solution with no official internal green light yet.
I couldn’t get a copy of the “interim information sheet” as they can’t send it according to the agent, but it reads no different than what people are posting with affected VIN's
the recall will be served in 2 parts:
-1st is an “interim notice” indicating you are affected - describes symptoms, and a solution is being worked on and rough timeline
-2nd notice is when the solution is ready to go to your dealer to proceed with the repair and coverage details

-I inquired who’s liable to cover the loaner vehicle, I was told Toyota in some cases can provide arrangements for a loaner when a repair exceeds a 'normal' specified amount of time (no numbers provided) once they are aware of the length of the repair, but things like 1-3 business day repair would be something you need to cover with your dealer
-I inquired on where the repair will be held, the car will stay on-site at the dealer you drop it off at until the service is complete, any testing or special instructions will be conducted at the dealer
-I inquired will any testing involve gas consumption (i.e.: I drop it off at full, will I get it back at full), this needs to be clarified with your dealer as Toyota Canada will not provide gas credit.

-symptoms to look for include (HYBRID and GAS):
new
blue smoke for burning oil
white smoke for burning coolant (from engine, in cabin, or exhaust) Toyota coolant smells sweet when burnt
engine chiming accompanied by warning lights
repeat from last convo
engine oil leaking (in both hybrids and gas
more commonly an internal coolant leak which would cause the smoke, in extreme cases the coolant would be an external leak visible under the car
engine overheating
loud noises
shudders
warning lights on the dash (specifically check engine OR master warning light)

Additional notes talking about warranty
-no extension of current powertrain warranty (5 years - 100,000km) as the engine is one component of powertrain (engine, transmission, trans-axel etc.), in order to get additional coverage all "powertrain" components as per Toyota's definition need to be affected
-the engine replacement falls under “safety recall warranty” which again is a fancy way of saying one-time fix
> I kept it light with the mods I see on the forum in case anyone was wondering do you need to return the car to stock before taking it in, under “safety recall warranty” things like: changing light bulbs to LED, install bigger rims/tires, tints, rust proofing, sound deadening, splicing wires, would not affect your eligibility getting this replacement.

-NOW this is where some warranties might be affected (powertrain, HYBRID, comprehensive, etc.) should you need the coverage
-in this example comprehensive (3 year - 60,000km) - incl. 12v battery (NOT the HYBRID NiMh array), electrical, misc. items throughout the vehicle
>any type of rust proofing done after the factory WILL void your comprehensive warranty AND hybrid electrical warranty as they can argue the chemical did damage etc.
must remove any modifications done to the car before proceeding with any other warranty claims i.e: tires affected rotations of the axel and messed with the engine, LED shorted the wires and fried the fuse, etc. etc.

I know it's only a matter of months, but I wonder why they wouldn't allow the warranty to start from the time of engine replacement? If you got a September 2019 build and then replaced your engine in February, you'd have about 31 months left even though a major change was done to your car (replacing the engine). It would be trivial for them to give you 3 years from replacement date or 41 months warranty from purchase.
got some clarity on the warranty above, loopholes… Not a deal breaker but their argument holds water. Maybe I can try to see what my dealer can throw in when the time comes.

·
Registered
2918 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
813 Posts
What troubles me about the repair terms is that the dealer is the one that determines if you get a loaner vehicle. My selling dealer is 350 miles away. My local dealer has no incentive to help me. Toyota made the porous casting, Toyota corporate out to eat the rental cost.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
What troubles me about the repair terms is that the dealer is the one that determines if you get a loaner vehicle. My selling dealer is 350 miles away. My local dealer has no incentive to help me. Toyota made the porous casting, Toyota corporate out to eat the rental cost.
I'm in a similar boat, my originating dealer is about 150km away, I'll likely drop the car off with them once we get the notice. It's worth the drive IMO as they are more in tune with the customer for repeat business than the ones around me which don't give 2 💩 about building a relationship.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wow, I expected some good will with this type of recall. We may provide a loaner car? We will not increase the powertrain warranty?

How about, all affected people will have a loaner and we will provide platinum extended coverage for all affected. They are dropping the entire engine in a brand new car! If I'm affected and treated like this I will never buy another Toyota.

·
Registered
2918 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
813 Posts
Wow, I expected some good will with this type of recall. We may provide a loaner car? We will not increase the powertrain warranty?

How about, all affected people will have a loaner and we will provide platinum extended coverage for all affected. They are dropping the entire engine in a brand new car! If I'm affected and treated like this I will never buy another Toyota.
Another way of looking at it is you are getting a new engine which doesn't have all the wear that is associated with the miles you already put on your old one. Plus it has all the undocumented improvements they have made since they produced your original engine.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes, I would feel that way if the car had over 75K miles but not with a car that is under a year old & under 10K miles.. This is my fourth Toyota and will be last if affected and treated this way not to mention that friends and family come to me for car recommendations.

Another way of looking at it is you are getting a new engine which doesn't have all the wear that is associated with the miles you already put on your old one. Plus it has all the undocumented improvements they have made since they produced your original engine.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts