Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Another way of looking at it is you are getting a new engine which doesn't have all the wear that is associated with the miles you already put on your old one. Plus it has all the undocumented improvements they have made since they produced your original engine.
+1, Keeping my fingers crossed it'll be what they put in '21 models WITH a slight MPG increase. This was what 2019 to 2020 saw, subtle, but it's there:
2019 - 5.8/6.3/6.0 L/100 km cty/hwy/cmb2020 - 5.7/6.3/6.0 L/100 km cty/hwy/cmb

Also, now I don't have to clean my engine bay after this past slushy and salty winter :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
161 Posts
got some clarity on the warranty above, loopholes… Not a deal breaker but their argument holds water. Maybe I can try to see what my dealer can throw in when the time comes.
I am really impressed you have such a great relationship with your dealer or that they they've demonstrated having leeway in granting you perks. I obviously don't have many options for service except the local dealer who we had a terrible sales experience with. We ended up buying from a different dealer but will do all the service locally. I don't see or expect them to extend any sort of courtesy or assistance beyond what corporate requires.

What troubles me about the repair terms is that the dealer is the one that determines if you get a loaner vehicle. My selling dealer is 350 miles away. My local dealer has no incentive to help me. Toyota made the porous casting, Toyota corporate out to eat the rental cost.
I totally agree here. This is a huge recall repair and a huge inconvenience for folks, not to mention the immeasurable intangible fears and anxiety such a repair causes.

Yes, I would feel that way if the car had over 75K miles but not with a car that is under a year old & under 10K miles.. This is my fourth Toyota and will be last if affected and treated this way not to mention that friends and family come to me for car recommendations.
I feel the same way! We are 500 miles into our 2020 XLE Hybrid. It's not like I have 10,000 miles and get a free new engine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey guys, just posting my story and where I’m at currently for anyone else affected, or tips for help on direction through this. Below is a copy paste of my notes from a call with Toyota Canada today.

2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - white
Made in Canada, purchased November 2019
VIN - 048776 (low #, no info on range affected)
est. mileage: 7,937km as of Feb. 10, 2020
Block# D247609

I input my VIN into Toyota’s recall system and US NHTSA:
Recalls & Campaigns Lookup - Toyota Canada
Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment

Neither site produced any flags or recalls associated with our VIN, but providing it to Toyota Canada did produce a positive...

Toyota Canada # - 1(888)869-6828

NOTES
-confirmed we have a recall on the car after providing VIN, personal info, month of purchase (not exact date), and current mileage - but it’s in the interim stages

-a block of VIN’s that may be affected are flagged, and they are running through contacting those affected based on mileage, age, and ‘did you experience this’ to narrow down to what batch is affected

-they asked have you experienced these symptoms: smells, leakages, shudders, or dash warnings - if yes, go to the dealer and they will judge if the car is safe to drive or not

-they are working on the solution - no update on what it is or when, I did at this point reference the news article:
^she answered with they are working on a solution, and when I pressed that solution is in the article ‘replace the engine’ she said Toyota needs to ensure the replacement engine will not have the same issues to ensure safety blah blah blah.

-if no solution (we’ll contact you if there is) has developed before the arrival of the notice (early April) then immediately go to the dealer with the recall notice received in the mail and they will sort it out (new engine? - she wouldn’t say)

-no solution to fix the problem is available currently, short of replacing the whole engine as referenced in the article which confirmed is ‘a solution’

- I can’t go to the dealer for them to check or diagnose if I’m affected to be proactive as they don’t have direction on what they are looking for yet, they send you back to Toyota head for updates, and Toyota head just says wait for the recall notice or you can call weekly to check for updates or if you encounter the symptoms discussed gonto a dealer, so basically be a guinea pig for the next few weeks 🤷‍♂️

--Updated Feb. 11--
Snagged a pic of my door sticker for others reference. This sticker does not reflect purchase date for those wondering.
Purchase date: 11/19
Build date: 10/19
View attachment 149529

--Updated Feb. 12--
-VIN as of today has been been upgraded from flagged as “may be affected” to you will be getting a notice on procedure to follow in the coming weeks.
I input my VIN into Toyota’s recall system and US NHTSA:
Recalls & Campaigns Lookup - Toyota Canada
Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment
Neither site is still producing any flags, confirmations, or recalls associated with our VIN for those wondering

-Toyota Canada have confirmed which VIN's have the affected engine serials (no context of VIN range, or which engine serial range, or how many are needing the repair versus just flagged - still internal)
-they have figured out the issue, and the remedy (i.e.: replace the engine) is in production awaiting the response to service the recalls, which is different than what I heard 2 days ago that they are still testing the solution with no official internal green light yet.

the recall will be served in 2 parts:
-1st is an “interim notice” indicating you are affected - describes symptoms, and a solution is being worked on and rough timeline
-2nd notice is when the solution is ready to go to your dealer to proceed with the repair and coverage details

-I inquired who’s liable to cover the loaner vehicle, I was told Toyota in some cases can provide arrangements for a loaner when a repair exceeds a 'normal' specified amount of time (no numbers provided) once they are aware of the length of the repair, but things like 1-3 business day repair would be something you need to cover with your dealer
-I inquired on where the repair will be held, the car will stay on-site at the dealer you drop it off at until the service is complete, any testing or special instructions will be conducted at the dealer
-I inquired will any testing involve gas consumption (i.e.: I drop it off at full, will I get it back at full), this needs to be clarified with your dealer as Toyota Canada will not provide gas credit.

-symptoms to look for include (HYBRID and GAS):
new

repeat from last convo

Additional notes talking about warranty
-no extension of current powertrain warranty (5 years - 100,000km) as the engine is one component of powertrain (engine, transmission, trans-axel etc.), in order to get additional coverage all "powertrain" components as per Toyota's definition need to be affected
-the engine replacement falls under “safety recall warranty” which again is a fancy way of saying one-time fix

-NOW this is where some warranties might be affected (powertrain, HYBRID, comprehensive, etc.) should you need the coverage
Are you havIng discussions with Toyota Canada (vs. Toyota USA) because your vehicle was built in Canada and is for the Canadien market (and that’s where you reside as well)? I may have missed this in your copious notes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Are you havIng discussions with Toyota Canada (vs. Toyota USA) because your vehicle was built in Canada and is for the Canadien market (and that’s where you reside as well)? I may have missed this in your copious notes.
He is talking to Toyota Canada because he is Canadian and lives there. It has nothing to do where his car or engine was made. To be even more clear: it looks like you live in America. You should not contact Toyota Canada for any reason.

·
Registered
327 Posts
He is talking to Toyota Canada because he is Canadian and lives there. It has nothing to do where his car or engine was made. To be even more clear: it looks like you live in America. You should not contact Toyota Canada for any reason.
I eventually caught up in reading the 5 pages of posts to discover the answer to my question. And why did you think I was going to call Toyota Canada?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I eventually caught up in reading the 5 pages of posts to discover the answer to my question. And why did you think I was going to call Toyota Canada?
I don't know what you were or weren't going to do. I was saying they probably are not the right people for you to contact.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I am really impressed you have such a great relationship with your dealer or that they they've demonstrated having leeway in granting you perks. I obviously don't have many options for service except the local dealer who we had a terrible sales experience with. We ended up buying from a different dealer but will do all the service locally. I don't see or expect them to extend any sort of courtesy or assistance beyond what corporate requires.
I feel for ya, my home dealership is definitely a dying breed that still are a passionate, having the racetrack nearby probably helps them keep the fire going.

But in your case if they got talent in the service area that’s all I would flesh out, I have a more local dealer that I know has great techs and parts dept. I would trust in a pinch and likely tow my car too if I ever used the roadside assistance (they gave me some solid discounts on OEM things as I’m not going to drive 300km each time to buy parts). But the drawback is that dealer has a very shitty owner/manager that would likely give me a hard time from a negotiating perspective - read stingy. A plan B is better than no plan at all, I would advise anyone to try making small talk with the owner and see where it goes, they have the potential to give you 25% off OEM parts or service ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts

If you’ve just bought a new Toyota or Lexus, your vehicle may need its engine replaced. Over 44,000 cars and SUVs from the 2019 and 2020 model years are being recalled because they may overheat, stall, or even catch fire.
Affected vehicles include 2020 Toyota Camry, Toyota Camry Hybrid, Toyota Avalon Hybrid, and Lexus ES300h sedans, and 2019-2020 Toyota RAV4 and RAV4 Hybrid SUVs.
The recall is due to an issue with the engine block, where combustion takes place. Because of a manufacturing error, the engine block could leak coolant or oil, which may lead to a stall or fire while the engine is in use. Drivers may first notice warning lights and chimes, increased engine noise, and/or engine smoke.

In a written statement, Toyota announced that about 250 out of the 44,191 recalled vehicles will actually need their engine replaced, but dealers will have to check the serial numbers on the engine blocks in recalled vehicles to determine whether they were part of the faulty batch.
The problem started in September 2019 at a Toyota-owned factory in Tennessee that manufactures engine blocks for Toyota and Lexus vehicles. According to a written statement from the automaker, a water flow meter at the factory failed while some engine blocks were being cast. As a result, these blocks did not cool properly, which caused cracks to develop.
Toyota said it discovered the problem when it found vehicles with coolant leaks during inspections of new vehicles at factories and dealers. Although the majority of affected vehicles have already been sold to consumers, some are still on dealer lots and cannot be sold until they have been repaired.
When contacted by CR, a Toyota spokesperson would not comment on whether there have been any crashes or injuries related to this problem.
The Details
Vehicles Recalled
• 2020 Toyota Camry sedans manufactured from Sept. 12, 2019 through Jan. 15, 2020
• 2020 Toyota Camry Hybrid sedans manufactured from Sept. 16, 2019 through Dec. 19, 2019
• 2019 and 2020 Toyota RAV4 SUVs manufactured from Sept. 12, 2019 through Nov. 20, 2019
• 2019 and 2020 Toyota RAV4 SUVs manufactured from Sept. 12, 2019 through Nov. 20, 2019
• 2019 and 2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid SUVs manufactured from Sept. 12, 2019 through Dec. 10, 2019
• 2020 Lexus ES300h sedans manufactured from Sept. 16, 2019 through Dec. 18, 2019
• 2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid sedans manufactured from Sept. 16, 2019 through Dec. 13, 2019
The problem: Due to a manufacturing issue, the engine block may be cracked. As a result, the vehicles may overheat, stall, or catch fire.
The fix: Dealers will check the serial number on the engine block to determine if it is part of a faulty batch. If it is, dealers will replace the engine free of charge.
How to contact the manufacturer: Toyota said that recall is expected to begin April 6, 2020. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-888-270-9371 or Lexus at 1-800-255-3987.
NHTSA campaign number: 20V064. Toyota's own number for this recall is 20TA04. Lexus' own number for this recall is 20LA02.
Check to see whether your vehicle has an open recall: NHTSA’s website will tell you whether your vehicle has a recall that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow only 250 out of 44,000 vehicles recalled will need an engine replacement. I wonder how they will fix the other engines without a replacement?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Wow only 250 out of 44,000 vehicles recalled will need an engine replacement. I wonder how they will fix the other engines without a replacement?
My interpretation is that only 250 engines are defective so the other 43,941 need nothing? Lets hope this is correct.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds to me like they're still trying to narrow it down to engine block production. Mine is on the recall list. The recall states that it might be affected. I think once they gather more info they'll narrow it down to be definitive. Nonetheless, if they're replacing an engine, I'll be pissed. Paid full price, paint protection, extended warranty and they're turning my car into a refurbished unit where the engine will be replaced by someone who is not familiar with replacing a 5th gen rav4 engine. NOPE. They need to offer a buyback of some sort.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sounds to me like they're still trying to narrow it down to engine block production. Mine is on the recall list. The recall states that it might be affected. I think once they gather more info they'll narrow it down to be definitive. Nonetheless, if they're replacing an engine, I'll be pissed. Paid full price, paint protection, extended warranty and they're turning my car into a refurbished unit where the engine will be replaced by someone who is not familiar with replacing a 5th gen rav4 engine. NOPE. They need to offer a buyback of some sort.
Trade it in..
for another Toyota.
Or sell it..

I would sell it...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes, I would feel that way if the car had over 75K miles but not with a car that is under a year old & under 10K miles.. This is my fourth Toyota and will be last if affected and treated this way not to mention that friends and family come to me for car recommendations.
This is the same Toyota that has joint projects with Subaru and BMW. Nuff said.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Trade it in..
for another Toyota.
Or sell it..

I would sell it...
I mean, it's still up in the air. But you say sell it and buy another Toyota? What should I get? What year? What should I look for in the VIN for what I buy? Or the serial number on the engine block? More importantly, what color?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The reported range is Mid-September to Early December 2019. You're telling us you're in the clear (Built 2 months earlier) and also what your engine serial starts with? Why?
Not telling my information to show off, but for data reasons. Its just in case someone with a built car in September- December might have the same engine serial number which can debunk what Toyota is saying about which car is recalled. What wrong with knowing serial numbers of your engine built before, during & after the recall period???

81 - 100 of 117 Posts