Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Don't shale companies start producing again when oil reaches a certain price? That's the way it worked in the past.
I realize there are start up costs but they overcame them in the past. Why would it be different now?

·
Registered
86 Posts
So I got to my first 5k service appointment and let the service advisor know about the engine recall. He pulled it up in his system and he told me that it apparently doesn't affect hybrid engines... But he said the service techs will still take a look and verify... Here's the picture of my work order.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
Has anyone received a piece of mail or notice about their recall? Is this something that we just have to take to the dealership and notify them about?
Not yet, but I was cleared before Toyota sent them out (supposedly early April).
the recall will be served in 2 parts:
-1st is an “interim notice” indicating you are affected/dealer contacts you direct
-2nd notice "if affected" is when the solution is ready to go to your dealer to proceed with the repair and coverage details

So I got to my first 5k service appointment and let the service advisor know about the engine recall. He pulled it up in his system and he told me that it apparently doesn't affect hybrid engines... But he said the service techs will still take a look and verify... Here's the picture of my work order.

View attachment 150889
Hybrids are definitely affected, gas models have the 'potential' to cause death if they seize, hybrids however have a failsafe of alternate power if the ICE fails.

I think your service rep may have just been ill informed and applying broad logic. If you feel unsatisfied speak with you dealer owner, or call Toyota corp. direct. Details/phone #'s and docs I collected in my OP of this thread, and here's a doc @Quickdtoo posted earlier in the 4.5 general thread with specific details of the recall:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not yet, but I was cleared before Toyota sent them out (supposedly early April).
the recall will be served in 2 parts:
-1st is an “interim notice” indicating you are affected/dealer contacts you direct
-2nd notice "if affected" is when the solution is ready to go to your dealer to proceed with the repair and coverage details

Hybrids are definitely affected, gas models have the 'potential' to cause death if they seize, hybrids however have a failsafe of alternate power if the ICE fails.

I think your service rep may have just been ill informed and applying broad logic. If you feel unsatisfied speak with you dealer owner, or call Toyota corp. direct. Details/phone #'s and docs I collected in my OP of this thread, and here's a doc @Quickdtoo posted earlier in the 4.5 general thread with specific details of the recall:
So looks like my engine is not part of the recall. I wish that they gave me that piece of paper that they showed me stating that the engine block wasn't involved. I didn't even realize it until I got home and I didn't see that paper as part of the work order. Did they provide you a copy of it?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
So looks like my engine is not part of the recall. I wish that they gave me that piece of paper that they showed me stating that the engine block wasn't involved. I didn't even realize it until I got home and I didn't see that paper as part of the work order. Did they provide you a copy of it?
Don't stress, your VIN might not be part of the affected batch. The recall only affected RAV4's produced in this date block:
'19/'20 RAV4 gas variant - September 12, 2019 through November 20, 2019
'19/'20 RAV4hv variant - September 12, 2019 through December 10, 2019

You can always run your VIN on the NHTSA website, or call Toyota corp. and verify that way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Don't stress, your VIN might not be part of the affected batch. The recall only affected RAV4's produced in this date block:
'19/'20 RAV4 gas variant - September 12, 2019 through November 20, 2019
'19/'20 RAV4hv variant - September 12, 2019 through December 10, 2019

You can always run your VIN on the NHTSA website, or call Toyota corp. and verify that way.
I ran my VIN through both the Toyota and NHTSA website and it's considered one of the ones under the recall is why I took it today and alerted them of the issue. But after the service techs took a look at the engine block during the 5K service, I was told that my specific engine was not required to be replaced. I just wish that the service adviser had gave me a printed copy of that paper stating so.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I ran my VIN through both the Toyota and NHTSA website and it's considered one of the ones under the recall is why I took it today and alerted them of the issue. But after the service techs took a look at the engine block during the 5K service, I was told that my specific engine was not required to be replaced. I just wish that the service adviser had gave me a printed copy of that paper stating so.
Can always go back now that your equipped with details, again, check out the details in my OP. That’s all from my dealer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Can always go back now that your equipped with details, again, check out the details in my OP. That’s all from my dealer.
So I contacted my service advisor about that document, and he said that it's an internal document and for internal purposes only and that he couldn't provide a copy...

Either way, I did see that the document state that my engine block number was not part of the recall... So I think I'm good.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
So I contacted my service advisor about that document, and he said that it's an internal document and for internal purposes only and that he couldn't provide a copy...

Either way, I did see that the document state that my engine block number was not part of the recall... So I think I'm good.
Yeah, I don't think all dealers are as forthright sadly... Even though your dealer may not have provided the smoothest experience, they have issued you the clear which is the most important thing here. You have a paper trail now that IF in the future something were to occur, you have action you can take against that dealer and the shortcomings.

I'm lucky I have a pretty strong relationship with my dealer and they are honest, but you can always turn to our forum to fill in the blanks LOL - now that you are in the clear, find a dealer that will give you their 100% for the life of your car, I start with the owner and chat up a storm, can even get 25% manager discounts on OEM accessory purchases 🤘

141 - 152 of 152 Posts