Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When coming back from grocery shopping, I start my RAV4 in the parking lot. I have absolutely nothing turned on. My battery is near full charge. I put it in drive and press gently on the gas pedal and go. Within seconds the gas engine starts and when I press the EV button I get a message that EV is unavailable. I must be going 10 mph at this point.

On the way home, I stop at a red light and the gas engine stops. I start going and I am running on battery only. It continues to run on battery only, even though I am now going 40 mph. Plus I am going up a slight incline, not going downhill. Because it's running on battery only, the battery has less charge now then when I started it in the parking lot. Still above half.

Does this make any sense? I'm glad that it can run on just batteries at 40 mph, which I thought it wouldn't do, but why at low speeds does it need to start the gas engine? I have the RAV4 in normal mode. No heat on, no lights on, nothing.

·
Registered
568 Posts
When coming back from grocery shopping, I start my RAV4 in the parking lot. I have absolutely nothing turned on. My battery is near full charge. I put it in drive and press gently on the gas pedal and go. Within seconds the gas engine starts and when I press the EV button I get a message that EV is unavailable. I must be going 10 mph at this point.

On the way home, I stop at a red light and the gas engine stops. I start going and I am running on battery only. It continues to run on battery only, even though I am now going 40 mph. Plus I am going up a slight incline, not going downhill. Because it's running on battery only, the battery has less charge now then when I started it in the parking lot. Still above half.

Does this make any sense? I'm glad that it can run on just batteries at 40 mph, which I thought it wouldn't do, but why at low speeds does it need to start the gas engine? I have the RAV4 in normal mode. No heat on, no lights on, nothing.
When you first start the car it will run the engine to warm it up. By the time you got to the red light everything was at operating temperature and it could use EV mode.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't heard of that before. I thought the gas engine would only turn on if the car needed more power or I turned on the heat when the engine was cold.

·
Registered
2019 Hybrid RAV4
1 Posts
Sometimes you may want to keep EV mode after Start for slow ride around parking. Just press EV button within 5 seconds after Start.

But in cold weather (lets say below 10 C) it is better that engine warms up. Other way batery is used very hard, because engine is kept low rpm while cold. Always warm up, if you need more power after start, but you can also warm up while moving at slow speed.

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
877 Posts
Think of the situation where you are in EV mode and you suddenly need to defrost a windshield. You would want immediate heat. The ICE warming up and then going into standby when it can takes that scenario into account and there must be others.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Oddly enough the owner's manual has several pages on how this operates, and a list of reasons why EV mode might not be available. Bottom line is that if you're not able to achieve EV with simple throttle control, pushing the button won't help.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oddly enough the owner's manual has several pages on how this operates, and a list of reasons why EV mode might not be available. Bottom line is that if you're not able to achieve EV with simple throttle control, pushing the button won't help.
I've had some cases when pulling up to a stop light in very cold weather where the EV mode button is useful. The engine wants to keep running to keep the heat up, but pushing the button turns it off. The cabin still gets warmed (though the air eventually gets cold) and everything returns to normal once you get going again.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I disagree, I've wanted to move my car about 20 ft before and didnt want the ICE to start, sometimes it tells me EV mode not available and the ICE starts, but on a couple occasions ive gotten the message and the ICE never came on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Battery performance is greatly affected by low temps. Could be a combination of cold engine and cold battery. 'EV Mode unavailable' usually only comes on here, no super low temps, when the battery is down around 40%.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I think this is normal. The gasoline engine is the main component. It needs to get up to temperature for best operations including emission. Once it meets the proper performance parameters then the hybrid unit begins to come into play. This is my third hybrid and what your experiencing is like all my hybrids. Keep in mind colder temperatures require the gasoline engine to run more in order for the heater to operate efficiently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts