Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid with the power liftgate. One thing that is confusing us is the power liftgate function with the key. When we hold the open button for 2 seconds, the back door opens automatically. All of the other doors are unlocked. When we hold the button on they key for two seconds the liftgate closes, but all the doors remain unlocked.

I've read the manual and I can't find any way to either:
1. Don't unlock the car doors on liftgate open
2. Re-lock doors when power liftgate is closed with the key

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Ive read the manual and I can't find any way to either:
1. Don't unlock the car doors on liftgate open
2. Re-lock doors when power liftgate is closed with the key
Neither is possible.
However, as soon as you start closing the gate you can also hit the lock button on the remote and all doors will be locked.

Toyota missed the boat when they failed to allow the lock button to also close the gate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither is possible.
However, as soon as you start closing the gate you can also hit the lock button on the remote and all doors will be locked.

Toyota missed the boat when they failed to allow the lock button to also close the gate.
Ugh, that is dumb. Your idea would also make sense. A shame Toyota did none of these. OK, thanks. Seemed so stupid that I thought I wasn't reading the manual incorrectly. We keep leaving our car unlocked overnight because of this (since my daughter loves watching the door open/close).

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
This is the sort of stupidity that suggests lawyers were involved. I suspect there's concern for unintentionally closing the gate, hence the default requirement for holding the button for 2 sec. They're pretty sure you will sue them after you close the gate on your daughter's head.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm trying to understand what that other little round button on the tailgate does in terms of locking. The manual seems to imply you can lock the other doors on closing the tailgate by pushing it, but I can't seem to make it happen.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I have mine custom set to open with one click on the remote, but the car must be unlocked first, if it's locked I have to hit the unlock button first. To close and lock, hit the remote liftgate button once, then hit the lock button immediately which locks everything.

The small round button on the liftgate locked everything on my 2015, same for the Hybrid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts