Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally a flush does not drop the pan and change the filter. Also, as I understand, there are two types of flushes. One contains solvents under pressure to blow out contaminants (possibly harmful) and the other simply replaces all the old fluid with new after a pan drop and filter change.

Obviously I seek the second type that removes the old and replaces with new under low pressure with no solvents. Is there a particular brand of machine or procedure that I should ask about or look for?

I have googled but found nothing definite to help me. Perhaps my search procedures were poor. Any insight on this?

Before you say it, yes I know about multiple drains & fills but that is not what I am asking about. I don't want to deal with that so please do not suggest it.

Any help from someone with actual knowledge of these procedures/machines that would do what I want?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Why not a DIY job like Kyoo and I did? It's really a two man job to do it quickly and properly. The trans return line is usually the LOWER line on the transmission. This is much better and simpler then playing with the oil lines on the radiator! (pic 2)

https://r56hs.com/2016/02/22/2011-rav4-v6-awd-automatic-transmission-flush/

Two things kyoo did that I would not do: After removing the pan and cleaning everything, new filter, top up trans pan etc., disconnect the lower (return) trans oil line, then join it to a hose of the SAME diameter! Do this to stop any restriction in the draining/flushing process! Mine uses a 3/8" return line, so I joined it to a 3/8" length of drain hose using a short piece of 3/8" copper pipe. (pic 1)
Secondly, you can safely drain 3 litres at a time when doing the complete trans flush. (kyoo drained about 1 litre/1 quart at a time, don't know why?)

Don't forget, you have to top up the trans with new ATF each and every time you remove old/dirty trans fluid, (i.e. 3 litres.)
Keep doing this until the fluid turns a nice bright red. My 4cyl trans used about 14 litres all up, having extra fluid handy is also a good idea.
Good luck!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but I'm looking for a commercial service that does this. At my age I couldn't get up once I got under the car.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I would get someone to do a pan drop, fluid/filter change.

Those flush machines seem like they cause more harm than good.

Not sure if a shop will do the return line flush. wouldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As I said RTexasF, this is really a two man job. You could be the person sitting IN the car that's up on ramps, to start the car in N and start the trans pump. Your younger mate could be the person UNDER the car measuring the 3 litres being pumped out, when he yells out, you turn off the engine! This needs to be done about 3 to 4 more times :). You'll know when to stop when the fluid being pumped out turns clean & red.
Don't forget, this all happens AFTER the trans sump has been 'serviced'.

I too have heard that 'flush machines' do more harm than good!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts