Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone opened up the lights and seen if the LED that is on the 4.4 is simply not connected or the lights aren't installed at all?

Just saw a video of the Russian unveiling and saw that the lights do work in the EU

·
Registered
376 Posts
They're just trim panels (Blanks)

Pretty sure Toyota just uses the same housing to fill the space in the NA segment. That same housing will have the actual led array/circuit/wire, whatever, if they're an operating component.
Hmmmm Wonder if the NA blank housing could be removed, carefully cut open, and some sort of generic led package installed using the same housing, glued back up.... Probably leave that to the real diy folks. Not ready to start hacking my Limited apart yet....:eek:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me either :p if the LEDs are already installed it could just be an issue of connecting a harness...... I guess there's no way to tell unless someone goes in there.

Anyone up for task? Lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Checked mine today and there appear to be no LEDs in there. According to this video they are only in EU and the NA computer chips don't support them.
(It's right at the beginning of the NY area dealers training video)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Interesting, you can modify the system to unlock all your doors when you unlock the driver's door by holding lock + unlock button on the key/remote :D Nice to know for me !

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Interesting, you can modify the system to unlock all your doors when you unlock the driver's door by holding lock + unlock button on the key/remote :D Nice to know for me !
There's lots of interesting stuff to customize in the setup of the display audio. You should read the owner's manual sometime.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well then let's turn this thread into how to get the NA chip to support it.

It has to be possible to Hotwire it to the regular DRL wiring so when you turn that on the LEDs will run. I don't take "no" for an answer those LEDs are soooo pretty.

·
Registered
71 Posts
In looking at my LTD today, I do see LED's in the housing. I have not looked under the hood but would think if the LED's are there, there must be a way to connect them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In looking at my LTD today, I do see LED's in the housing. I have not looked under the hood but would think if the LED's are there, there must be a way to connect them.
I did the same thing. And in addition to that, I think I made LEDs work by turning inner side of left bar to certain position. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did the same thing. And in addition to that, I think I made LEDs work by turning inner side of left bar to certain position. :)
I really want to apologize cuz what I did is just turning on the two bulbs downside in front. Sorry for confusing you guys.

Probably we can talk to dealers to push them upgrade our system, which may light those LEDs.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
In looking at the construction of the "blanks" to cover the Euro spec LED lamps, there is nothing in there that leads me to believe that one can simply open up the sealed back, attach a couple of + and - wires to LED's, and voila, they will function. First, there are no LED's in there. Second, N. American DRL's use the high beam bulbs operating at a lower voltage to function as the DRL's. If you want to make those Euro DRL blanks function in N. America, you need to install LED's in there, and then wire them to a 12V source that operates based on the ambient light sensor and gear selector inputs. That is, through the ECU. The N. American ECU applies less than 12V to the high beams under those conditions. You would need low voltage LED's, not 12V LED's.
I'm sure someone will attempt and succeed at doing this, but there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just found some wiring guys, may work.

Got some wiring, bulbs and more wiring to test on the front and also for another project to the rear.

Stay tune... :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Me either :p if the LEDs are already installed it could just be an issue of connecting a harness...... I guess there's no way to tell unless someone goes in there.

Anyone up for task? Lol

OK, I took one for the team...
.:eek: :eek: :eek:

I hope you found it :D
BAD NEWS GUYS.

Get ready to see some ugly pictures, all of it with negative results...:oops:

First of all, I found a harness attached in the bottom, in front of the air filter case. Pics attached (first ones).

I did spend lots of times playing with the six wires (white, blue, black and blue). I turned lights one, DRL, Fogs, etc with no luck. The gray one is hot all the time and one of the whites ones (two) gets hot with the ACC.

So I went for it and open the case, BAD NEWS.
I was prepared to wire it, but inside of it, there is no connections, no light bulbs NO NOTHING. It is all a single piece, just for show.

I was ready to add a bulb as well, but I did light it up and it produce no light on the outside.

I hope I made sense.

Just look at the pictures and feel free to comment on it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
YOUR A MONSTER MAN!!!!

Ok I saw that wiring harness laying in the front (btw the new engine bay is extemely roomy vs last yr)

If those wires are live always that's the darn ECU problem. Lets say its ok to have the LEDs on 24/7 for now... Time to think about how to get an LED strip in there and remove the factory housing while maintaining the beautiful crystal look.....

What about drilling tiny holes into that back casing that is flat and shoving an LED in there .... Too crazy?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts