Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a '04-'09 RAV4 - Guidance, please?

Looking to get my 17yo daughter into a RAV4, less than 150K miles and less than $7K. I prefer that she get the 4-cyl for fuel economy and somewhat more "constrained" power capability. 2WD is fine. I've been cruising CL for a couple of months and have a good feel for what's available in my area and it does seem that I can find what I'm looking for. I'm willing to go as old as a 2004, but prefer to get something newer if reasonably possible.

I'm not new to the used car market by any means, so I know the generic issues associated with this task, and have already registered at toyotaowners for the requisite VIN-related service history checks. However, we've never had a RAV4, although we have had a '98 4Runner and currently still have a '99 4Runner. I have some questions, though.

1) I've done some generic searching and found out that there seems to be a potential oil consumption issue on some of the Gen2 and Gen3 models, and that it appears to be limited to the I4's. If I cannot find any dealer records for addressing the oil comsumption issue, are there any tell-tale signs I can look for when inspecting a used RAV4 to see if it does in fact have the problem?

2) What other particular issues for which I should be aware and watchful?

Thanks ahead of time for any and all input/insights.

Pete

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Go for the '09 model. It has the better 2.5L engine. The previous 2.4L in the older models has a tendency to consume oil.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Since I posted the above, I've found more details on my questions. There also just happens to be a '09 with 119K just a little north of where I live (private listing CL ad, but few details, even though the VIN checks out nicely). If I can make contact with the seller, I'll be going to look at it very shortly.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Assuming the car checks out well on a test drive the '09 you found would be a good choice. Don't let the mileage bother you. Just use it to get a better price.
BTW, I like your taste in trucks. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. From everything I've read, I'm not worried about the mileage at all. We typically choose reliable vehicles capable of very high mileage as way to keep our purchase costs down.

For example, my truck currently has 290K miles on it with the original turbo and injectors, though one of the injectors is pretty "tired" at this point and takes a little warming up to get it firing properly. My son's Outback has almost 230K miles on it, my other son's 4Runner is sitting at about 175K, and my daughter's S60 is at 175K right now. Shoot, even the "new to us" RX450h has almost 78K miles on it, and the '03 7.3L Excursion I sold a couple months ago had 205K on it.

So, you can see that we're not afraid of mileage by any means. Either I or my sons do all of our own maintenance and take proactive steps to replace suspension components, hoses, and other less frequently replaced components so we can further minimize any potential for being left stranded somewhere.

I've emailed the CL seller again, and still no response. It may well be gone already at this point for all I know, but I remain hopeful.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like I missed the '09. Someone called the guy before I got to him and is supposed to be buying it this morning. It was a sweet deal at only $6900 with only 119K miles. The guy buying it is buying it to resell. Oh well... I'll just be patient.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Looks like I missed the '09. Someone called the guy before I got to him and is supposed to be buying it this morning. It was a sweet deal at only $6900 with only 119K miles. The guy buying it is buying it to resell. Oh well... I'll just be patient.
So offer him say $7400. A quick $500 in his pocket w/o doing anything.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Correction: I never make an offer. I always say, "I'd be willing to pay $xxx."

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand what you are saying, but he was committed to the buyer, and I am extremely hesitant to make any kind of statement as to what I'm willing to pay until I see and drive the vehicle. I may miss out on a deal here and there, but if I expect people to be good on their word when dealing with me, I will also honor the same approach for someone else's dealing with others. Some may consider this to be a foolish approach, but I'm perfectly OK with that.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
No, I meant buying from the buyer so he makes the quick profit not trying to cut him out of his deal with the seller.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. I understand what you're saying now. Not a bad idea. I'll see if I can get the line of communication open with the buyer and see if we can work something out.

Thanks.

EDIT: I just talked to the seller, and he is closing the sale in 30 minutes, but will pass my name and number along to the guy who is buying the vehicle. There may be a chance after all!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
OK. I understand what you're saying now. Not a bad idea. I'll see if I can get the line of communication open with the buyer and see if we can work something out.

Thanks.

EDIT: I just talked to the seller, and he is closing the sale in 30 minutes, but will pass my name and number along to the guy who is buying the vehicle. There may be a chance after all!

Just keep your "spidey sense", ok?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Two days and no contact. The guy must have either been planning on a much higher resale value or already had another buyer.

I'll just be patient.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts