Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Before you give up on the Rav4, I suggest you test drive an XSE hybrid. It is not sluggish, the eCVT is smooth, and the car is quite when in EV mode, which is most of the time on flat roads.. The seats are comfortable for me but seats are subjective.
Any new car is going to have infotainment and software obsolescence and issues.

The last vehicle that has the least "electronics" is the 2019 4 Runner. Another vehicle that will be comfortable and less problematic is the 2019 Highlander. In higher trims they will be very comfortable. I realize you don't want a big vehicle but your specifications leave little offerings.

Personably, I would only lease a VW product. They are wonderful vehicles but are programmed to fail when the warranty runs out.

In South Florida off lease Lexus's are plentiful, it might be worth a trip and the weather is nice now.

Yes, I looked into an off-lease NX, but supply is low in my area and prices high. Not much difference from a high end RAV4s and the Consumer Reports survey on this particular vehicle were awful. The IS is too small and three ES too big as is there RX. The HS250h was very unique in comfort and value but unfortunately discontinued in the US after a short run. Right now I'm moving my attention to VW.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I recently began shopping for a new vehicle after 10 years with me previous vehicle. At first I was anticipating some pretty great vehicle test drives but it didn't take long for me to realize what a cesspool of junk the auto market has become only to be outdone by apologists many of whom no doubt have a vested interested in keeping the illusion of quality up and running. Among the highlights:

The sluggish, noisy, cramped fitting RAV4 with an unbearable driver seat and a really funky transmission. If you a want comfortable seat (something that was standard in the 1950s) you need to pony up a few thousand for their faux leather seats. Sales people are better than average but the GMs are as sleazy as the next guy. I think they are use to milking the unsuspecting with their lease deals and really don't care about cash deals anymore. Leases are big cash cows. What concerned me most, was that only 70% of the respondents to Consumer Reports survey said they would definitely buy this car again. Hmm.. am I going to be in n that 30% or 70%? How much am I willing to bet?

The Honda CR-V was even noisier and felt like I was driving in ones of those 1990 Jeeps but the price was much better due to their lots filling up with oil diluted engines and batteries that die because Honda's software engineers can't control their own PCMs. Say it ain't so. Lots of room though for taking a nap while waiting for the tow truck.

Now the CX-5 was quite nice but made the RAV4 feel downright roomy. I couldn't figure out how to drive it without pain. First time I wished I was 6 inches smaller and anorexic.

Then there was the Kia Sportage which no doubt followed the CX-5 lead adopting cramped as the future.

The Forester - was great if my primary objective was to study City noises in-between the clatter of the boxer engine. At least it drove slow enough so that I never missed a sound.

And then there was the Hyundai Tucson which I approached with some trepidation, initially being quite pleasantly surprised, only to be confronted by the dealership staff that I would ultimately have to work with. No way!

Now, I have to figure out which one I'm going to fork over $30,000+ to buy. Really? $30,000+??? For what? A software driven contraption that must assuredly breakdown because it is far too complicated for its own good.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Toyota and other car makers are now on a race to the bottom. Others may be worse but Toyo is working hard to be just as bad as anyone. Far to much complexity these days than they can maintain or back properly. I might buy a Toyota but I assure you it won’t be a new one. Second or third year of a generation will be my target.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yes, I looked into an off-lease NX, but supply is low in my area and prices high. Not much difference from a high end RAV4s and the Consumer Reports survey on this particular vehicle were awful. The IS is too small and three ES too big as is there RX. The HS250h was very unique in comfort and value but unfortunately discontinued in the US after a short run. Right now I'm moving my attention to VW.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I’ve owned 3 VW’s and didnt have too much luck with them: (1) 1970’s Kombi bus blew a valve and required engine rebuild, (2) 1980’s Rabbit (e.g. pre-cursor to Golf) re-ended and put back together but never was right again, (3) 1980’s Scirocco (anyone even remember this car?), decent car but under-powered, had misc. electronics issues. New VW‘s seem like well-engineered cars...I would like to get one of the all-electric ”Retro-Vans” they keep promising and have seen artist-renditions of...but will it ever come to market?

41 - 43 of 43 Posts