Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Rav4 Hybrid owner. Coming off of a Toyota 4runner where I replaced the OE tires with BFG KO2. Gas mileage went from 19 mpg to 16 mpg but the tires were INCREDIBLE - Quiet, soften the ride, incredible in snow, water, dry pavement.

Curious if anyone has experience with these on the 2016 Rav4H?

Very interested in fitment, look (pictures please) and impact to gas mileage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Ziran

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
In the 225/65R17" they weigh 39lbs each which is over 10lbs more than any of the OEM 17" Rav4 tires, it's not made in 18" without going to a plus one size, certainly not what I'd put on a Hybrid, there are just too many good riding, quiet, long wearing tires with low rolling resistance and good traction qualities available that are more suitable for the Rav4 Hybrid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the 225/65R17" they weigh 39lbs each which is over 10lbs more than any of the OEM 17" Rav4 tires, it's not made in 18" without going to a plus one size, certainly not what I'd put on a Hybrid, there are just too many good riding, quiet, long wearing tires with low rolling resistance and good traction qualities available that are more suitable for the Rav4 Hybrid.
Thank you...great advice. I have not searched the forum yet but is low rolling resistance a bonus for Hybrids (I imagine it is intuitively). Have you seen an aggressive looking LRR tire for the R4H?

Thanks!

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,088 Posts
You can have traction or you can have LRR. Choose one or the other. That said, there are many fine choices that offer a nice quiet ride and decent traction too. The K02 is absolutely the worst choice for everything except traction.

You also fail to specify size, since the 18" wheels limit your choices considerably. But if you want off-road performance you bought the wrong car and no tire will change that.

I'd advise that given your stated situation, keep the OEM tires for a while and evaluate them for all the above.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Thank you...great advice. I have not searched the forum yet but is low rolling resistance a bonus for Hybrids (I imagine it is intuitively). Have you seen an aggressive looking LRR tire for the R4H?

Thanks!

Not according to Tire Rack's selector, when LRR is checked, it eliminates all but 19 tires in the 17" size, didn't check 18" cuz they're even more limited.

Agree 100% with rdgrimes, the Rav4's offroad capabilities aren't consistent with the need for aggressive tires, the limited ground clearance and poor articulation make it a softroader at best, get some good all season tires and enjoy it, don't try to make it look or perform like something it isn't. :wink
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...7&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17&

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, definitely not looking for off road performance, would have stuck with the much more capable Toyota 4Runner. I used my KO2 experience as I was pleasantly surprised by the noise level, traction and wear rating for such an aggressive tire. In all cases they were far superior to the OEM all season tires on the car.

That being said, I have the 17" wheels and the stock tires are pretty loud and don't do much for me when it comes to traction.

I have a soggy section of grassy next to my driveway. There was a contractor truck in the driveway so I carefully pulled off to the lawn and tried to drive through the soggy/marshy area. I was dismayed to find that I was challenged to make it through the muck.

Just wondering if I could find something a little more aggressive in terms of performance while retaining the efficiency of the OE tire and hybrid system. Going to look for a lighter wheel with a tire that balances traction with noise/LRR. I'd be lying if i said the aesthetic is not part of my decision but it is 5th or 6th on the list.

Thanks for the input all!

Ziran

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not according to Tire Rack's selector, when LRR is checked, it eliminates all but 19 tires in the 17" size, didn't check 18" cuz they're even more limited.

Agree 100% with rdgrimes, the Rav4's offroad capabilities aren't consistent with the need for aggressive tires, the limited ground clearance and poor articulation make it a softroader at best, get some good all season tires and enjoy it, don't try to make it look or perform like something it isn't. :wink
Using Cookies
Softroading is all i am looking for, not trying to make a off roading vehicle out of my R4H...just something capable of getting my out of trouble under reasonable assumptions. When Hurricane Sandy hit, there were mudslides which put about 3" of mud on ½ mile slight incline. FWD car couldn't make it up the hill, 4Runner chewed it up as if it wasn't there. I get the sense that the R4H might have difficulty and I am trying to mitigate that as much as possible.....I realize there are tradeoffs and will be evaluating those tradeoffs against MPGs and suitability.

Thanks again, this back and forth actually gave me quite a bit of insight already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts