Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm considering purchasing this '08 V6 with 44k miles.

I've read up on the oil consumption issues reported with this year; is there anything else about this generation in particular that I should be looking at when I test drive it (apart from the normal test drive check-ins, e.g. leaks, rust, alignment, breaks, electronics, etc)?

Also, does anyone know if it's labor intensive to install an AUX port in it?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?shopperListingsSearch=24786120#listing=144538489_isFeatured

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The oil consumption issue applies only to the I4 engine, not to the V6. There have been more coolant pump failures with this year ('06-'09) than normally would be expected. Having that mileage the vehicle is only just about broken in! With the VIN one can join the Toyota Owners' site and check service records for services, repairs, and recalls done by Toyota dealers. Toyota Owners Official Web Site

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 08 v6 sport has an aux port in the armrest. I'm pretty sure all 06-08 have one in the armrest and all 09-12 have one beside the mirror controls. And as for common issues read up on the trans whine.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wife got a 2008 Limited v6, last summer - nicest family vehicle, we have owned in 40 years.
- sad they don't make the good ones anymore
Ours had 89,000 Km equals 55,000 miles / now 74,000 miles.
- whats not to like, is a 4x4 tank in a snow storm
- peppy like a v8 muscle car
Just change the oil, 5w-30 synthetic (Pennsoil from NG) and a WIX Platinum filter
- doesn't use a drop, every 8-10,000 Km.
- doing the back brakes soon / but that it, so far

Majority of people don't know how to check for rust.
I crawled under our RAV4, in the pouring rain to see shinny factory paint on the floor pans & unibody frame.
- also inspect door bottom seams for rust & separation
- example of my mint 2000 4Runner SR5 door below / what it should look like / oil spray undercoat, also helps big time

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
We own two '08 RAV V-6's. One Base with added options, one Limited with the standard stuff. I own the Limited and during the first three years it was the most troublesome car I've ever owned, and that's quite a few. Her's has been almost trouble free other than the many recalls which were taken care of under warranty. Both have an outstanding recall that Toyota does not have a fix for yet.

Look CAREFULLY at what has and has not been done yet & go from there. By the way I still like my car but I'm anxiously waiting for the next problem that arises.

Others have had far better luck than I have had with their '08 model V-6's. Research this car carefully.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am original owner of a 2008 V6 base, with trailer package and 17" alloy wheels. 115k miles so far so good. Water pump went, replaced under warranty at around 45k miles. It was making a racket, that's how I knew. A handful of recalls, no issues. Not thrilled with the one that takes the adjustability out of rear alignment....Factory tires were toast at 45 k. On my second set of replacements, General Tire Altimax RT 43's, excellent so far. Rear seat began to rattle on bumps, fixed by moving it one click forward. Changed trans fluid and filter per links on this site, very straightforward. Will need to change plugs soon, not looking forward to that drill. Suggest keeping up with diff and transfer case oil change maintenance. I get 22-25 mpg in mixed highway/city driving, but I have a light foot on the gas. When my wife was driving it she got more like 18-21 mpg. Some tendency of trans to repeatedly hunt between 4th and 5th gear when just under highway speeds, annoying but can be avoided by shifting into 4th gear instead of drive. Wish driver seat went back one more inch. Weather tech floor matts are a good buy. My only real complaint is the small gas tank which means very short range- low 300 miles. Overall, good vehicle. Plenty of power when you need it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi All,

I'm considering purchasing this '08 V6 with 44k miles.

I've read up on the oil consumption issues reported with this year; is there anything else about this generation in particular that I should be looking at when I test drive it (apart from the normal test drive check-ins, e.g. leaks, rust, alignment, breaks, electronics, etc)?

Also, does anyone know if it's labor intensive to install an AUX port in it?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?shopperListingsSearch=24786120#listing=144538489_isFeatured
Chrisjas, that is a good looking 2008

·
Registered
138 Posts
We own two '08 RAV V-6's. One Base with added options, one Limited with the standard stuff. I own the Limited and during the first three years it was the most troublesome car I've ever owned, and that's quite a few. Her's has been almost trouble free other than the many recalls which were taken care of under warranty. Both have an outstanding recall that Toyota does not have a fix for yet.

Look CAREFULLY at what has and has not been done yet & go from there. By the way I still like my car but I'm anxiously waiting for the next problem that arises.

Others have had far better luck than I have had with their '08 model V-6's. Research this car carefully.
Rtexas, how is it as far as burning oil?

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
Rtexas, how is it as far as burning oil?
Neither uses any measurable amount of oil but be aware that one has just over 21K miles, the other is just over 17K. Even with high miles the 3.5l V-6 is not an oil burner.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
my 2010 3.5 uses no oil between changes that i can see...oil is still light brown and transparent when i change it...just over 60k...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts