Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We should have a thread dedicated for RAV4 Prime defects, issues and observations. I don’t have anything to contribute yet since my Prime SE will not arrive until sometime in June 2021. This thread will help all of us to share issues/observations and resolutions (if applicable).

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
360 Posts
From another post of mine - Nothing major that I've heard or run into myself. The two relatively minor ones I (and several others) have experienced - 1) glitch where vehicle becomes unresponsive to key fobs, must use manual key to enter vehicle (I've only had this happen once in my 4 mos of ownership - no specific resolution, but again, hasn't happened more than once so far). 2) Hybrid malfunction warning - apparently has to do with a plating issue with the DC/DC mounting bolts that causes high resistance (there's a TSB for this - T-SB-0007-21. I've also only seen this error once so far and it hasn't affected my ability to drive at all. I told the dealer about it at my first service appointment (5k miles) and the bolts are on order and will soon be replaced. Actual confirmed resolution, I don't yet have.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I guess we should bring up potential gas tank issue (and showing full range) :p
AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Please don't. There is a large reserve below empty. End of story.

It does seem like there was a legitimate problem with the hybrids, but it seems like the Prime is fine. Although I'm sure people will be willing to quibble about getting one more gallon into the car, and how many clicks on the pump, etc..

And what about those poor Canadians, their gas tanks are even smaller. ;)

Reactions: jmartin325

·
Registered
173 Posts
AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Please don't. There is a large reserve below empty. End of story.

It does seem like there was a legitimate problem with the hybrids, but it seems like the Prime is fine. Although I'm sure people will be willing to quibble about getting one more gallon into the car, and how many clicks on the pump, etc..

And what about those poor Canadians, their gas tanks are even smaller. ;)
My first tank seems to be okay, I was down just past 1/4 and fit 10 gallons. The predicted range was still under 500 (I think it was 540 or 560 when new?) even though I had been averaging about 40mpg but thats fine

·
Registered
57 Posts
Would Toyota ever provide a TSS upgrade of a 2021 Rav4 Prime?

It’s an issue probably most won’t notice. 2021 RAV4 Prime uses TSS 2.1 and for some reason, Comma 2 OpenPilot doesn’t work with it.

I would love to buy a R4P, if it could work with Comma2 OpenPilot. I had it on my 2020 Prius Prime and it was day and night difference.

Any idea Toyota might provide an upgrade of TSS suite for 2021 Rav4 Prime in the future?

·
Registered
173 Posts

It’s an issue probably most won’t notice. 2021 RAV4 Prime uses TSS 2.1 and for some reason, Comma 2 OpenPilot doesn’t work with it.

I would love to buy a R4P, if it could work with Comma2 OpenPilot. I had it on my 2020 Prius Prime and it was day and night difference.

Any idea Toyota might provide an upgrade of TSS suite for 2021 Rav4 Prime in the future?
Has Toyota ever upgraded TSS on any existing vehicle?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had my Prime SE for about two days. Checked everything and found no actionable issues thus far. No shaking driver side mirror. Gas tank seems to be fine. No sunroof leaks. Seems to be well made.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have had an XSE prime premium. since 26 Mar.
At day 26, the HV mode quit and was stuck in EV only to get to dealer. After 24 days, got the car back. As a precaution, they changed the HP fuel pump. Mechanic and myself, not sure if this is a fix, or there was a glitch in some wire harness that fixed itself during re-assembling of repair.
Can't see HUD with sunglasses on due to polarization. By tilting my head toward my shoulder it works. Polarization needs to be rotated 90 Degrees. Ever try to buy non-polarized glasses??
User manual should be an embarrassment to Toyota. It is the worst I have ever seen in 60 years of driving.
Passenger seat should be 8 way electric. Cheap screws!
I really like the car (only 957km on it), but have to drive it a distance to regain confidence in it. Hopefully someone in Toyota is listening.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
107 Posts
I'm at 5 months and 5K miles on my Supersonic Red R4P e-XSE and zero issues.

In installing in my accessories, I see how the car is designed to be worked on under a tree in Namibia, which makes it easy to install stuff.

There are some niggles that are pretty common on all cars with that particular technology.

For example the HUD dimming with polarized sunglasses is the same with every car that uses HUDs. The amount of dimming is dependent on the polarizing angle of the display vs. the angle on the sunglasses.

The MMI is about 2 generations behind others. But I see that with the recently introduced Lexus SUV PHEV that the MMI has a bit of an update that makes it more modern looking. I expect that will be populated across all Toyota vehicles over the next year or 2. But in the meantime there is alway CarPlay and AA.

I updated most of the interior/exterior incandescent bulbs to LEDs, this is an issue with all Asian vehicles. They must be stuck with contracts to buy millions of the old style bulbs that make each bulb cost 00003¢ cheaper than a replacement LED.

Same with passenger seats in asian vehicles, getting anything other than just a basic set of adjustments like height, seems to beyond their cost/benefit range.

The OTA services work seamlessly, but seem to be limited to MM updates.

Overall a good experience so far.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE PP
976 Posts
My biggest grind is, the Birdseye view system looks like something recorded on VHS tape. The screen is capable of higher resolution and 1080P sensors are a dime a dozen. I am sure they images were scaled down on purpose, to differentiate with Lexus’ offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Silver R4P XSE, Weather Package
1,046 Posts

It is not possible to upgrade to TSS 2.5+ (the latest version). I was told some of the hardware was updated to accommodate the updated software, so you'll have to buy a new car. Yeah it's stupid.
Tesla is a terrific technology company that makes cars; Toyota is a terrific car company that is always behind with their technology. Do you want a reliable car or a not so reliable car with better software.
I think Toyota is better for me. There are only a few upgrades with TSS 2.5+: better intersection tracking; it will automatically slow you down if going around a curve too fast; better pedestrian tracking at night.
I think TSS 2.0 is good enough for me. I don't think Toyota will ever have a self-driving car. Works for me. I like to drive.

·
Registered
208 Posts
XSE premium seat ventilation is just adequate on a hot day at the max setting and also a little noisy. Compared to my mother's 2007 Buick Lucerne that can refrigerate your back and butt silently if you like, the R4P's seat ventilation is almost shameful. To be fair, it is still enough to be useful on black pleather fabric that would otherwise be sweat city for me.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE PP
976 Posts
XSE premium seat ventilation is just adequate on a hot day at the max setting and also a little noisy. Compared to my mother's 2007 Buick Lucerne that can refrigerate your back and butt silently if you like, the R4P's seat ventilation is almost shameful. To be fair, it is still enough to be useful on black pleather fabric that would otherwise be sweat city for me.
I feel the same. It hit 100 today and mine was parked in the sun all day. I ran remote climate for 10mins before getting in the car seat was still warm. Would probably burn w/o it and remote climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 143 Posts