Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be replacing my car within the next year and the Rav4 Hybrid is back on the top of the list. I live in Northern Illinois and don't have a garage, so my car sits in a driveway or on the street year round. I've seen posts about how the hybrid drives in the snow or how gas efficiency is down during the winter, but not about the effect of the hybrid sitting in cold and snowy weather. I'm assuming it's better for the battery than brutal heat, but I'm just wondering about the long term effect. All the hybrid owners I know here are able to keep them in garages, so I have no one to ask.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Forget the notion that the hybrid systems are somehow more fragile. Drive around and look at all the old Prius' parked outside. Its no different than any car, and in general the hybrids outlast most everything else.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Toyota Prius has been a favourite of Winnipeg taxi drivers since 1997 and Winnipeg has severe winters (-40 is common).

The RAV4 Hybrid has the same technology and mechanical systems (except for the extra motor at the rear) as the Prius.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drive around and look at all the old Prius' parked outside.
That's why I felt like I should ask. There are plenty them around during the day and in the summer, but the ones around me all seem to go spend time in garages when we get a week below zero F in the winter. My car wouldn't have that option. Good to know it shouldn't be a concern, though.

The Toyota Prius has been a favourite of Winnipeg taxi drivers since 1997 and Winnipeg has severe winters (-40 is common)
Thanks! That should confirm it, then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts