Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
My reliability score for relatively recent vehicles: Toyota RAV4 - 0 problems, Honda CR-V - 0 problems, Hyundai Elantra - 1 minor problem, Chevrolet pickup - 0 problems. :smile

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm on my 3rd Toyota in 10 years. The stats speak for themselves. All 3 cars, little to no issues.

The GM vehicles I owned beforehand? Constantly at the dealership for a multitude of part failures and reliability issues. Also, an endless battle of repairs not being done properly and arguments about warranty coverage.

If Toyota keeps making reliable cars, they will always have me as a customer.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
How the heck did Buick get up there in the top ten?

Oh, it must be the ones made in China.
No, the Buicks made here are very big sellers in China.

Chevy and Ford reliability ratings suffer because of the pickup trucks and truck-based SUV's. Buick has fewer models and no real trucks.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
No, the Buicks made here are very big sellers in China.

Chevy and Ford reliability ratings suffer because of the pickup trucks and truck-based SUV's. Buick has fewer models and no real trucks.

The Buick Envision which is sold in the US reportedly is made in China.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Consumer Reports? Seriously?

That's just a sad source to use in the 21st century. They were popular before the internet came around, but using it today is ridiculous. They have been a biased source for as long as I can remember.

If you need proof, look at who is #4 now, and was #3. Audi! That is worthy of an April's fool joke. How did Volkswagen make it to #22 then? They are like Toyota/Lexus, one is a luxury brand of the parent company. It doesn't make any sense.

Consumer reports always had their tops picks and recommended buy products that took dumps in the years after the fact. :mad: Except for Toyota/Lexus rightfully being at the top, the rest just looks like a random order.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Consumer Reports? Seriously?

That's just a sad source to use in the 21st century. They were popular before the internet came around, but using it today is ridiculous. They have been a biased source for as long as I can remember.

If you need proof, look at who is #4 now, and was #3. Audi! That is worthy of an April's fool joke. How did Volkswagen make it to #22 then? They are like Toyota/Lexus, one is a luxury brand of the parent company. It doesn't make any sense.

Consumer reports always had their tops picks and recommended buy products that took dumps in the years after the fact. :mad: Except for Toyota/Lexus rightfully being at the top, the rest just looks like a random order.
Motor Trend is a much better example of a publication which has top-picked vehicles which subsequently turned out to be lemons. Consumer Reports bases its reliability information on owner surveys, which are supplied to each subscriber each year, so their info is from actual owners and other users. Consumer Reports has reliability data for several years running for each make, especially in their April edition.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I was just comparing CR's ratings with TrueDelta.com. Mike uses input from users all over the net. His rankings are quite different. The top 10 in reliability from 2013-2016 are:

1. Toyota
2. Lexus
3. Mazda
4. Subaru
5. Honda
6. Scion
7. Hyundai
8. Kia
9. Nissan
10. Ram

And the bottom 10 are:

21. Chevrolet
22. BMW
23. Mercedes-Benz
24. Jeep
25. Fiat
26. Dodge
27. Cadillac
28. Chrysler
29. Lincoln
30. Tesla

Car Reliability by Brand, 2013 to 2016 | TrueDelta

·
Registered
342 Posts
The best reliability test is to go outside and see what cars are on the road. Do you see many 15-30 year old Audis on the road? Mazdas? How about Toyotas/Hondas/Nissans?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I see a bunch of 10 to 15 yo tacoma's on the road still.
I still own a 20 year old 4Runner. Nothing breaks, just routine maintenance. It's the same drivetrain as a Tacoma. When driving around I see a 90's Tacoma/4Runner every 10 minutes. How often do I see a 90's Audi? Once in a blue moon. They are all at the junk yard.

All one needs to do is go on autotrader and see how many cars of certain years are for sale. And how many miles they have. That's the true reliability survey. :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts