Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello Ravians,

i would very much appreciate any words of advice for a potential buyer of a 2013-2014 Rav4 with 120,000km (75,000 miles) ?

Based on my research, this car is very reliable with low maintenance. Only issue that may be a concern to me, especially when used as a backup cam or infotainment system, is the poor visibility of the LCD screen with just minor glare.

This vehicle also ranks poorly on the "small overlap" for both driver and passenger. How much of a concern should this be? Likewise, how much of an issue is snow and mud buildup on door sill leading to rust, i live where it snows alot. see image of the problem: Screenshot

I would be looking at an AWD and probably the XLE trim as it has the backup cam, heated seats, moonroof.

Technically, i could get away with a 2013 FWD Corolla with a bike rack. But i dont think the maintenance, gas and insurance costs are significantly much different between the two. Plus, i like driving a bit taller off the road.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I had a 14 XLE for a few years. The snow build up is annoying. It really mostly collects between the plastic trim pieces. My current 16 hybrid does have some bubbling and rust starting on the door sills from Winnipeg winters. The small overlap was improved in 2016 but only for the drivers side if I remember correctly. I had no issues with either vehicle at all though so far.

·
Registered
291 Posts
We still have our '14 Limited that we purchased new. Now at 65k miles and still going strong. Not one issue.

Have not noticed the "poor visibility" issue with the LCD screen - can't comment on that. We don't see much snow where I live so snow/mud buildup on door sill is another non-issue for us. But when we do get snow I quickly rinse the salt & brine off quickly so no rusting issues.

It's been a great car so far and the wife is pleased. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In July, 2019 we bought a vehicle similar to what you're describing. 2014 RAV4 LE AWD with 85,000 miles. A little more than a year and 21,000 miles later, it's been great. 25-26 mpg. No maintenance concerns.

We're in the mid-Atlantic US, and we had nearly zero snow accumulation last year, so I can't speak to the issues you are worried about...yet.

Good luck if you go ahead with the purchase!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts