Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 RAV4 4WD V6 Limited. Loaded.

I've been doing my research here and it seems like the Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus tires get high marks here. I plugged in my car into Tirerack.com and the "TrueContact" model also came up. Based on the reviews, it seems better in every way, if not all-around fantastic compared to any tire!

So... what am I missing? Is there a reason to buy the CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus over the TrueContact? Prices are similar. Links below.

Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus
Continental TrueContact

·
Registered
54 Posts

I've been doing my research here and it seems like the Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus tires get high marks here. I plugged in my car into Tirerack.com and the "TrueContact" model also came up. Based on the reviews, it seems better in every way, if not all-around fantastic compared to any tire!

So... what am I missing? Is there a reason to buy the CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus over the TrueContact? Prices are similar. Links below.

Continental TrueContact

Can't speak to the LX20, but love the True Contacts we put on my Wife's 08 equipped like yours. Great winter performance, as well as in wet conditions. Nice and quiet on dry.

A step above the ComfortTreads we ran previously, which we considered buying again before checking out the Conti's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got the TrueContacts last summer, they ride fine. i have about 10K miles on them and they are wearing nicely too.
Cant say if they are quiet, never paid much attention to the ones that came before them.
Cant say they helped the gas mileage, didnt pay much attention to the ones that came before
Cant say if they help the traction, havent seen any snow with them, wet roads could either be the tire or the AWD.
They were cheaper than the Michelin Defenders, and 800AB i think.

Yeah just me rambling. I havent looked at or compared them to the LX20.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'd take the TrueContacts. Looks like they addressed the wear issue with the CrossContact LX20 - note the UTQG of 800AB vs 740AB. Can't really compare that between different brands, but within the same company / class of tire - this indicates that the TrueContacts should have a slightly better treadlife than the LX20 under the same conditions. TrueContacts are also made in the US, compared to Mexico/Portugal for the LX20. That tread pattern on the TrueContacts looks awfully familiar though - but in a good way. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I had a set of tires that looks just like them, but were not Continentals.

·
Registered
263 Posts
very happy with the true contacts on a different car here

·
Registered
932 Posts

Continental TrueContact
Those tires are T rated.I was looking at the True Contacts but finally went with
General ALTIMAX RT43 (H- OR V-SPEED RATED) satisfied so far.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
.... That tread pattern on the TrueContacts looks awfully familiar though - but in a good way. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I had a set of tires that looks just like them, but were not Continentals.
Maybe something from General Tire; same mother company.

·
Registered
263 Posts
^ true - purecontacts and rt43s look very similar

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ah, that might be the one that I'm thinking of. Thanks for the heads up! Its hard to keep up with which product is from which parent company these days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just had General Tire Altimax Rt43's installed and they are great. Super quiet on the highway. We'll see how they do over time. I plan to keep up with rotations.

·
Registered
207 Posts
A reason to buy the LX20 is if you drive a pickup truck. I have them on my Tundra. They are wonderful tires. The Tire Rack descriptions list the LX20 for trucks, not so for the TrueContact. I've never owned TrueContacts. That said, I'd likely choose them for a RAV. The tread looks more sporting. I'm sure the LX20 works well on a RAV, but it appears that the TrueContact is more of a cross-over tire. :ponder:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts