Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone converted there 2wd into a 4wd ? Are the trannies completely different or can they be modified with the 4wd components. I found a complete rear end at a local salvage yard but the trannie was already gone so I was just curious as to weather or not it was possible. :idea:

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
I don't know of anyone who has taken on this project. I have seen this discussed before and the concensus was..... the best way (and least expensive) would be to take the 2WD RAV4 and trade it in on a 4WD RAV4 :wink:

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I think Kellys' advice is the way to go. But if you do try. Remember to buy the computer also. I think all 2WD didn't bring ABS. Take that also, including all the parts of the ABS under the hood. The gear box has a converter, drive shft, rear axle. Looking at all the work and parts, go back to Kellys' advice. Make your life a lot easier :wink:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can speak from experience in trying to do this with an old '62 Ford F-100. I finally sent the whole dang thing to a scrap pile because it was just too much work, and that was a solid front axle, just 2 wheel drive. I don't know about the Rav's since I just got my 2001 last week, but I do know that for other vehicles the 2WD and the 4WD sit at different heights. That is the start of the problems, most also have different A-arms and suspension components too.

Again, I do not know if this is true for the Rav's but I would expect there to be some substantial differences. I personally would trade the 2WD in for the 4WD, save a whole heap of money and time.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be difficult but...not impossible.

I have friends who ripped their Datsun Z cars rear end and replaced with chevy or ford 9 inch rear.

It takes reasearch, research, research, balls and tools...

·
Registered
881 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
I don't know of anyone who has taken on this project. I have seen this discussed before and the concensus was..... the best way (and least expensive) would be to take the 2WD RAV4 and trade it in on a 4WD RAV4 :wink:
That's pretty much true for any 4wd vehicle. The only one where it might be worth doing is with the "4wd" Honda Civic, because that used all the same parts on the 2WD and 4WD minus the crappy rear drivetrain you could lift with one hand and the axles :)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too expensive for the job.

The 2WD RAV4 does not have a viscous cupping system that the 4WD one has.

2WD RAV4's exhaust system is completely different. And the list goes on and on.

Better off trading it with a 4WD. But later you will realise that the 2WD version have better fuel economy than the 4WD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts