Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our “new” Rav4 came stripped of ALL power options! We weren’t happy about this, but still decided to buy the car, figuring that I can always add those option in the future. Well, this past week, I found rusted out two door Rav4 with all power options for not much money. I figured this was my chance to upgrade our Rav4, while selling off the rest of the parts Rav4 to offset the car cost.

I was happy to discover that doors had a short harness with 15 pin connector (13 of them being active pins) that plugged into the car harness right in the kickboard area. But that positive finding was short-lived, when I compared it to the same plug on our Rav4, it had the same 15 pin plug, but only TWO of them active (speaker wires)! At first I thought, no big deal, I am sure the car end will have all the 13 active pins, but I was WRONG, the car end had only the two active pins for the speakers! Toyota must have designated cars as having or not having power options early in the build process! I am used to Mitsubishi’s, which use the same harness for cars with different options…

Now, I still want to make this work, I just have to figure out how to do it. I am not going to swap the ENTIRE car harness, that is way too much work and it might not work because one car is automatic and the other one is manual. But I might provide power to the some of the accessories to make them work.

Has anyone been able to do such upgrade?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Check to see if your Rav has all of the relays (door lock control relay box) and fuses.
The fact that all the wires are there tells me it's pre-wired, just without the relay box.

This should be an easy swap, don't worry.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you misunderstood what I sad, I have NONE of the required wires! Not even for the power mirrors! The car harness is completely different!

·
Registered
253 Posts
ok. That's not good.
That would be a full swap of the dash harnesses, that's not fun.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, and given how my Rav4 is FWD Auto and donor car is 5sp AWD, there will likely be other differences. I think I will simply provide power to the features that I want to work, so I will effectively "hot wire" it. I just have to use a fused source of power. Power windows is the most missed feature on this car, so I will try to activate it. Power mirror would be nice to activate, but that is a more complicated circuit to duplicate.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
I certainly agree that swapping harnesses, essentially the car's whole wiring system, isn't at all feasible.
What might be is simply running power and ground to the doors. That's all you'd need to power the window and mirror on each door. You'd have to figure out which of the driver's window switch wires are used to operate the passenger window and how to bypass them since that function would need the other harness wiring.
The auto-down feature probably needs the harness too so you'd end up simply with a switch instead of a crank on each door so it might not be worth it for a partially working result. The power mirrors themselves would be nice tho.
The good news is you could figure it all out and test it using the donor doors before you tear into your running RAV4.
Another possibility if you have the time, the electrical talent for schematics and the motivation would be to use the connectors from the donor car and built the part of the harness needed to operate the passenger window from the driver's side.
Have fun!

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
I crossed with your last post but apparently we're thinking along the same lines. I agree running the passenger mirror from the driver's side is more complicated than the window since it has more movement motors. Still, if you have the connectors it's probably only half a dozen more wires to run.... and you can fully test it on the donor doors.
As for the auto-down feature I don't know if the control module is in the door or under the dash somewhere but you could probably live w/o that anyway.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick update, I did some more digging and discovered that Rav4's power window circuits are completely contained within the door switches! All you need to do is to provide power/ground to each door and then connect two wires between the two door (to control passenger side from the driver's side).

I tapped the power from an unused fuse (putting 30A fuse in place) running through a relay (which is triggered by "ignition on" circuit).

It works like a charm! But that only addresses power windows, we will have to live without power door and power windows, which is OK ;).

So, if anyone interested, I now have some manual crank window regulators and door panels from 2 door Rav4 for sale.

·
Registered
621 Posts
It is about as easy to do the mirrors and locks, as it was the windows. The mirror switch is the important part and the rest of the circuit only uses 6 wires on my 99, and part of those are already in place with the new door harnesses. Then you just need the actuators from the doors for the locks. You have all the parts you need in the parts car, you just need a few wires to make it all work.

Just for luck, make sure the rear differential in the parts car is not a Torsen positive traction unit, before you get rid of it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting info about the mirrors, I might look into it someday. Do have most of the wires saved!

The shell is long gone. Rear end was about the only thing that I left in it. There was nothing about the rear end to indicate that it was LDS. Out of curiosity, what are the signs of Torsen rear end?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts