Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest way to convert a 5 speed to an auto? The wife does not and will not drive a stick! Is this an option to consider? WOuld it involve any remapping or complicated work :? What about costs other than finding the auto tranny? I have a 2000 4WD 4DR, you help would be appreicated :p

·
Registered
200 Posts
LOL! I want to do just the opposite! My mom can't and will not drive a manual, so when she got a new car, I was given the '98 RAV. I have been considering swapping out my 4spd auto for a 5spd manual.

I am told a tranny swap is fairly complicated work, so it would most likely involve shop labour costs as well as the tranny.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yup, we did, Pancake. But our discussion came to an abrupt end since we didn't know much about the process of doing a swap. I was hoping to come across a manual '98 RAV tranny in my area and have the tranny shop do a swap for me.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a personal relationship indeed :wink: I would rather do the trade since I know how nasty some of these RAV4s are abused, espacially now that they are getting on with age :cry: I very much doubt that I can find a 2000 like mine with 36K kiles on her.... I guess I will just have to fork out for another car with an auto tranny to keep her happy!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah, I can't bear to part with my RAV. Too much sentimental value. Being as I can't even afford to complete my exhaust system right now, there's no way I can do a tranny swap. Oh well. Just keep the RAV for as long as it will go and get myself a Lancer EVO or something later.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was gonna suggest that you keep the manual tranny and the Rav and lose the wife, but probably your idea of getting her a separate car with auto would be less problematic. :wink: :lol:

Becky

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey, kidong! If anybody would know about a RAV tranny swap, I figure it would be you! Just out of curiosity, how involved is it to perform such an operation? I am under the assumption that both auto and manual chassis are built the same way and that only the components differ.

·
Registered
53 Posts
wow

I've never heard of anyone wanting to swap a manual for an auto. That's interesting.

Well if you have the funds, then you can find people who have successfully done this.

Pancake - since you're really into the performance, why don't you just throw in a 3SGTE (was it?) engine instead?
How are you enjoying the lights? Man, I miss them. :cry:

You two should just trade. If you end up "swapping" - your car on the inside won't look "exactly" the same. If I had the opportunity to do so, I'd do that in a flash. Best part is - you won't have to deal with $100s if not $1000s worth of labour.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I would like to have the 3sgte, but remember my parents? They dont want me doing much to the engine in it now, and they definately wouldn't let me swap out an engine in my first car.

I'll email you some time later today (4 a.m.) I juts got up because I can barely see and in lots of pain. I have these contacts that are supposed to let you keep them in for 30 days, but after wearing them to sleep for 4 hours my eye basically shriveled up, and my vision is blurred and hasn't cleared up.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope you are not using Renu, if so, proceed to the nearest emergency :) I use Accuvue 2 and so far, no problems..... It is far less costly to replace a car than a wife these days, anyone who has lived in the US long enough knows what I's talkin' bout :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts